Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2014, 12:52 PM   #2491
JohnnySic
green is good
 
JohnnySic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 9,790
Default Re: Official Pro Wrestling Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus-Sack
1. Fvck you

2. All those dudes (except for Rey) had been there for years, so it's not an "influx

3. Your opinions are so fvcking stupid I not going to bother arguing them, as they are self-evidently wrong

4. Fvck you.
It was a gradual influx starting in '99 with Jericho (who I forgot to mention before). Also, in the case of say Edge, it was a gradual ascendency into the main event/sub main event scene. Almost all post-Russo.

Point is, they switched to more of the in-ring entertainment once they had the talent to do so. The talent pool was thin in 97/98 (especially in the main event scene) so they relyed on "swerves".

EDIT: One of the reasons Vince McMahon cut ties with Russo in late '99 was because WWE was so far ahead of WCW in the ratings by then that the war was essentially over, and Russo was no longer needed. McMahon wanted to tone down the adult-themed stuff and slowly make the product more kid-friendly again. McMahon never liked the "attitude era" stuff - to him it was a necessary evil in his war with WCW. Food for thought for those of you wishing for a return to 1997/98, ain't gonna happen.

Last edited by JohnnySic : 04-30-2014 at 12:59 PM.
JohnnySic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 12:54 PM   #2492
JohnnySic
green is good
 
JohnnySic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 9,790
Default Re: Official Pro Wrestling Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiteng
Controlled swerves work. Vince learned from Russo before he left and applied it on his own using Stone Cold, The Rock and himself as the major attraction and it works.
It works in small doses. If you make it the tail that wags the dog (Russo) your show ceases to be a wrestling show and becomes unintentional comedy.
JohnnySic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 01:08 PM   #2493
Cactus-Sack
Bang Bang!
 
Cactus-Sack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Titty game Dude Love
Posts: 8,392
Default Re: Official Pro Wrestling Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnySic
It was a gradual influx starting in '99 with Jericho (who I forgot to mention before). Also, in the case of say Edge, it was a gradual ascendency into the main event/sub main event scene. Almost all post-Russo.

Point is, they switched to more of the in-ring entertainment once they had the talent to do so. The talent pool was thin in 97/98 (especially in the main event scene) so they relyed on "swerves".

EDIT: One of the reasons Vince McMahon cut ties with Russo in late '99 was because WWE was so far ahead of WCW in the ratings by then that the war was essentially over, and Russo was no longer needed. McMahon wanted to tone down the adult-themed stuff and slowly make the product more kid-friendly again. McMahon never liked the "attitude era" stuff - to him it was a necessary evil in his war with WCW. Food for thought for those of you wishing for a return to 1997/98, ain't gonna happen.


You're a complete fvcking idiot.

Bret, Shawn, Taker, Austin, Foley, Kane, Shamrock, Goldust, Vader, HHH, British Bulldog, Owen Hart, Jeff Jarrett etc is not a thin roster.


You wanna watch two dudes roll around together go watch mma like a good lil fgt.
Cactus-Sack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 01:10 PM   #2494
Cactus-Sack
Bang Bang!
 
Cactus-Sack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Titty game Dude Love
Posts: 8,392
Default Re: Official Pro Wrestling Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnySic
EDIT: One of the reasons Vince McMahon cut ties with Russo in late '99 was because WWE was so far ahead of WCW in the ratings by then that the war was essentially over, and Russo was no longer needed. McMahon wanted to tone down the adult-themed stuff and slowly make the product more kid-friendly again. McMahon never liked the "attitude era" stuff - to him it was a necessary evil in his war with WCW. Food for thought for those of you wishing for a return to 1997/98, ain't gonna happen.


You're talking out of you ignorant fvcking ass. Russo left WWF, not the other way around dumdum.
Cactus-Sack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 01:22 PM   #2495
Knicks101
Hustle Loyalty Respect
 
Knicks101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: CENATION
Posts: 41,199
Default Re: Official Pro Wrestling Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus-Sack
You're talking out of you ignorant fvcking ass. Russo left WWF, not the other way around dumdum.

Nah bro, Vince fired him and the WWE went PG. That's why everything from 99-2006 was so kid friendly. HLA for the kids.
Knicks101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 01:25 PM   #2496
JohnnySic
green is good
 
JohnnySic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 9,790
Default Re: Official Pro Wrestling Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus-Sack
You're a complete fvcking idiot.

Bret, Shawn, Taker, Austin, Foley, Kane, Shamrock, Goldust, Vader, HHH, British Bulldog, Owen Hart, Jeff Jarrett etc is not a thin roster.


You wanna watch two dudes roll around together go watch mma like a good lil fgt.
Yes it was pretty thin. Only a few main eventers worth caring about. Compare to 2003 when you had Lesnar, Goldberg, Bautista, Big Show, Angle, Benoit, Test, Randy Orton, Christian, Edge, Jericho, John Cena, Rob Van Damn, Scott Steiner, Booker T, Hulk Hogan, Eddie Guererro, A-Train, etc etc etc, in addition to Stone Cold, Rock, Triple H, Taker, etc.

In fact, McMahon booked himself against Austin in the famous "Austin vs McMahon" angle beacuse he was his own best act and there was not a lot else to choose from.
JohnnySic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 01:30 PM   #2497
TheMarkMadsen
15x all nba legend
 
TheMarkMadsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 13,111
Default Re: Official Pro Wrestling Thread

The thing about Russo is that he doesn't have any new ideas.

His first stint in TNA (02) was the same ole attitude era stuff that looked bush league as hell since we had already seen it done 10x better years prior

Russo relies too much on gimmick matches, and gimmicks in general, he'll throw in an swerve for absolutely no reason.. Russo is terrible at progressing his story lines as well.. He needs a filter for his ideas
TheMarkMadsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 01:41 PM   #2498
Cactus-Sack
Bang Bang!
 
Cactus-Sack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Titty game Dude Love
Posts: 8,392
Default Re: Official Pro Wrestling Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnySic
Yes it was pretty thin. Only a few main eventers worth caring about. Compare to 2003 when you had Lesnar, Goldberg, Bautista, Big Show, Angle, Benoit, Test, Randy Orton, Christian, Edge, Jericho, John Cena, Rob Van Damn, Scott Steiner, Booker T, Hulk Hogan, Eddie Guererro, A-Train, etc etc etc, in addition to Stone Cold, Rock, Triple H, Taker, etc.

In fact, McMahon booked himself against Austin in the famous "Austin vs McMahon" angle beacuse he was his own best act and there was not a lot else to choose from.




None of the bolded were signifigant players in 03 (I lkeft out way more important people than these guys.)


You are a complete moron. I cannot stress this enough.
Cactus-Sack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 01:45 PM   #2499
Brujesino
Stephen Kerry
 
Brujesino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 209
Posts: 16,334
Default Re: Official Pro Wrestling Thread

I always hated Test but his song was awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJZp6awlL58

Now that i listen to it as a adult its not that great
Brujesino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:25 PM   #2500
TheMarkMadsen
15x all nba legend
 
TheMarkMadsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 13,111
Default Re: Official Pro Wrestling Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiteng
This is why WWE has hired real screen writers nowadays.

Which, IMO has its problems, mostly when these screen writers aren't familiar with wrestling.

I think you need a good mix, I think Heyman and Zeb (Dutch Mantell) should be the two main creative guys, with some Hollywood guys mixed in.

I wish wwe could pull off mature humor as well, anytime they try and do something funny it comes off cringeworthy

I thought the whole panning on Kanes mask before every commercial was cheesy and just screamed 'B Movie'

Like am I supposed to believe that after last weeks raw Steph somehow convinced Kane to give back his mask after the show?
TheMarkMadsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:01 PM   #2501
QuebecBaller
Next Great White Hope
 
QuebecBaller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Quebec City, Canada
Posts: 5,901
Default Re: Official Pro Wrestling Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brujesino
I always hated Test but his song was awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJZp6awlL58

Now that i listen to it as a adult its not that great

QuebecBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 12:58 AM   #2502
Cactus-Sack
Bang Bang!
 
Cactus-Sack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Titty game Dude Love
Posts: 8,392
Default Re: Official Pro Wrestling Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brujesino
I always hated Test but his song was awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJZp6awlL58

Now that i listen to it as a adult its not that great

I've actually always had a strange love for Test. One of my favourite Test moments:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjlP8nSbTbA
Cactus-Sack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 01:00 AM   #2503
Cactus-Sack
Bang Bang!
 
Cactus-Sack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Titty game Dude Love
Posts: 8,392
Default Re: Official Pro Wrestling Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMarkMadsen
Which, IMO has its problems, mostly when these screen writers aren't familiar with wrestling.

I think you need a good mix, I think Heyman and Zeb (Dutch Mantell) should be the two main creative guys, with some Hollywood guys mixed in.

I wish wwe could pull off mature humor as well, anytime they try and do something funny it comes off cringeworthy

I thought the whole panning on Kanes mask before every commercial was cheesy and just screamed 'B Movie'

Like am I supposed to believe that after last weeks raw Steph somehow convinced Kane to give back his mask after the show?


This! You have two of the best bookers alive on the roster and you don't have them involved with creative? It's insane.
Cactus-Sack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 02:03 AM   #2504
Cactus-Sack
Bang Bang!
 
Cactus-Sack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Titty game Dude Love
Posts: 8,392
Default Re: Official Pro Wrestling Thread

Eddie Guererro's daughter and Mason Ryan got released.
Cactus-Sack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 03:34 AM   #2505
Cactus-Sack
Bang Bang!
 
Cactus-Sack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Titty game Dude Love
Posts: 8,392
Default Re: Official Pro Wrestling Thread

Both are good releases. Can't see either of them (r the three others that also got released) being good enough for the main roster.
Cactus-Sack is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:32 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy