Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-10-2007, 04:56 PM   #1
Sean77
High School JV MVP

Default Question about The N-Word and the Godfather

This is for all who take issue with white people/Europeans referring to blacks as n-ggers, but who love the Godfather movies, what's your take on the use of the word there? Because they make several racist remarks against blacks, especially in the first two ("They're animals anyway, so let them lose their souls...." for example).

My questions are 1) did you notice this when you've watched the movies, and 2) did it affect your opinion on the movie?

I don't recall any usage of the n-word in Part III, but I could be wrong. They had the chronological TV versions of I and II on a couple of weeks ago, so that's why I'm asking.
Sean77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 04:58 PM   #2
AppleNader
Cornell Basketball=#1

Default Re: Question about The N-Word and the Godfather

it's a movie...
AppleNader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 04:59 PM   #3
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

Racism is different then an average Joe using the word to sound cool.

The Godfather also hit theatre's in 1972.
L.Kizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 05:07 PM   #4
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

in the course of telling a realistic story, the word is dropped in alot of movies...

only tarentino over does it...... not a big deal when it fits into te tale like it should

my big problem with the godfather and the Sopranos and other movies like it is that people seem to lose their hate for violence and exploitation of women when it comes to these movies/TV shows... Its OK when Tony Soprano caps somebody, but its the end of the world if 2pac is on TV capping somebody....
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 05:10 PM   #5
Snow
I brick open layups

Why would Italians make racist remarks against blacks? Aren't they part "ni****"?

Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 05:12 PM   #6
Sean77
High School JV MVP

I agree it's just a movie, and true 1972 was a different time period than now. Thing is when it was on TV, not premium cable but public access cable, they didn't bleep out when they used it, which surprised me in these post-Imus days. Personally it didn't affect me, because the word doesn't define who I am, but I remember in high school one year some black students left the school because we had "Huckleberry Finn" in our English reading list(Huck Finn uses the word, which would make sense since it is set during slavery).

What's funny to me is that some of us blacks would get upset about Mark Twain's works using the n-word, but Godfather did worse and it is on our all-time favortie Al Pacino movie lists. Just seemed double-minded to me.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:18 PM   #7
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
What's funny to me is that some of us blacks would get upset about Mark Twain's works using the n-word, but Godfather did worse and it is on our all-time favortie Al Pacino movie lists. Just seemed double-minded to me.

if you look at the situation more broadly..It is double minded...and not just from black folks perspective

society as a whole villifies some things and glorifies other things....its disturbing that people can be manipulated into accepting one and rejecting the other based on manipulation rather real logic
Old 07-10-2007, 05:19 PM   #8
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean77
I agree it's just a movie, and true 1972 was a different time period than now. Thing is when it was on TV, not premium cable but public access cable, they didn't bleep out when they used it, which surprised me in these post-Imus days. Personally it didn't affect me, because the word doesn't define who I am, but I remember in high school one year some black students left the school because we had "Huckleberry Finn" in our English reading list(Huck Finn uses the word, which would make sense since it is set during slavery).

Alot of black folks and folks of all races are ignorant when it comes to that word. Thats just the way it is.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:25 PM   #9
Sean77
High School JV MVP

In light of that whole NAACP burial of the word the other day(yeah, right), I just wonder how many of those people will burn their copy of Godfather or any other movies that use it in "that" way, or if they'll keep watching them.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:29 PM   #10
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

Quote:
In light of that whole NAACP burial of the word the other day(yeah, right), I just wonder how many of those people will burn their copy of Godfather or any other movies that use it in "that" way, or if they'll keep watching them.
Why would they burn their copy of the Godfather?

The burial was to get blacks from using the wird with one another. If the blacks stop using it, then every other race will follow suit.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:29 PM   #11
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:

the word itself hasnt even been buried yet...

I swear I dont know what they smoking over at the NAACP these days...

that mock burial was just that.............mock

the word wont be dead until the people have no more reason to use it...and that will involve a serious influx of jobs and education into the black communities in this country...

until then, that stuff is just for show
Old 07-10-2007, 05:33 PM   #12
Sean77
High School JV MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
Why would they burn their copy of the Godfather?

The burial was to get blacks from using the wird with one another. If the blacks stop using it, then every other race will follow suit.

Seems to me they were expressing their desire to be rid of the word period, which would lead me to think that means throwing away music and movies that use the word. I wonder if those people will bury those too, even their favorite music and movies...

Besides, someone needs to tell NAACP that they don't have one-tenth the clout with black people that they used to, so there was really no point to that whole display. Just state your disgust with the word like America did with Imus, no need for theatrics.

Last edited by Sean77 : 07-10-2007 at 05:35 PM.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:40 PM   #13
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

Quote:
Seems to me they were expressing their desire to be rid of the word period, which would lead me to think that means throwing away music and movies that use the word. I wonder if those people will bury those too, even their favorite music and movies...

Besides, someone needs to tell NAACP that they don't have one-tenth the clout with black people that they used to, so there was really no point to that whole display. Just state your disgust with the word like America did with Imus, no need for theatrics.
I was saying Godfather has nothing to do with the N-Word. Racism is going to exist.

They are trying to stop these young black men and women from using the word with one another. Tryng to stop these black rappers and comics from spitting out the word.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:42 PM   #14
gb8
Extra Cheese

Showing truth in films is important and should not be censored. The film was showing the attitudes of the times in regards to these group of people. Its like saying roots should have the word taken out.
gb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 05:51 PM   #15
Sean77
High School JV MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb8
Showing truth in films is important and should not be censored. The film was showing the attitudes of the times in regards to these group of people. Its like saying roots should have the word taken out.

True, same thing with the book Huck Finn, but sadly some cats at my old school were so incensed by the word they talked themselves out of the opportunity to learn the history behind it and ultimately the lesson that words only have as much power as you give them. But like someone said, we act that way in certain instances(Huck Finn, Imus) and not in others(Godfather).
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: