Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-12-2006, 12:08 PM   #16
SixerFan03
High School JV MVP

SixerFan03 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmatrixg
Has anyone ever thought of the fact that the holy books were written in the Middle East, a place that is overflowing with natural drugs, whether they be sedatives or hallucinogens. I think alot of this stuff, like the flaming tongue, was a result of a mere trip.

Ever read Revelation to John?
SixerFan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 12:16 PM   #17
Real Men Wear Green
Don't panic.

Real Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocirap31
If you think humans may have lived with dinosaurs 65 million years ago, would there not be evidence of at least some kind of homini? But there isn't. The earliest skeletons date back to Lucy who is just less than 3.8 million years old.
Read the article. What it would mean is that the Dinos existed 3.8 million years ago, alongside Lucy, to have died in the flood God sent in the days of Noah.

Interesting article, by the way.
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 12:30 PM   #18
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

Timmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation here

When I saw this article I was going to make a different post about this, but after reading the article I'm going to make two points to it.

1. Even thought the book of Job is more in the middle of the Old Testament, it's one of the more older books in the Bible, probably written during the time of the early periods of time. We believe that Genesis and these books were written around 4000 B.C. Now, there are a lot of speculations of how the dinosaurs became extinct. Yes they walked with humans. Did they attack humans? It's more than likely. Were the dinosaurs on Noah's ark? Yes. This is where you get into the canopy theory and greenhouse stuff. Before the flood the earth was like a greenhouse. This is how people were living to be 900 years old. After the flood, the atmosphere was left somewhat depleted. The temperatures rose, living conditions on earth worsened, and the dinosaurs couldn't survive the atmospherical changes.

2. Are there dinosaurs living today? Yes. They aren't as prominent as you would think, but alligators, crocodiles, and kimodo dragons are good examples of dinosaurs living today. There is also the speculation of the Plesiosaur (Loch Ness Monster, Lake Champlagne Monster) still on earth today.
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 12:32 PM   #19
rs98762001
Great young streetballer

rs98762001 has an OK reputation so far

"There is a danger of becoming so indoctrinated by evolutionary thinking that we become closed to the creation alternative."

That's all you need to know about the reasoning behind this article.
rs98762001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 01:05 PM   #20
SixerFan03
High School JV MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmeh
2. Are there dinosaurs living today? Yes. They aren't as prominent as you would think, but alligators, crocodiles, and kimodo dragons are good examples of dinosaurs living today. There is also the speculation of the Plesiosaur (Loch Ness Monster, Lake Champlagne Monster) still on earth today.

None of those are dinosaurs. Crocodiles and Plesiosuars were around at the time of dinosaurs, but are not dinos themselves. Crocs have evolved since then (like Sharks have). It's possible the Plesiosaur evolved as well, but no one knows because no one has proven the Loch Ness Monster exists.

The Komodo dragon also is not a dinosaur, but a large lizard that is a type of Monitor Lizard. They shared a common ancestor that lived in the ocean.

And I'm just wondering, but what animal is the Leviathan? What is the fire breathing sea serpent?
Old 07-12-2006, 01:11 PM   #21
kentatm
NBA Legend

kentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
i think the problem is that we've never found any fossils that indicate the animal's demise was more recent.

part of that could be a fanatical church that went around destroying anything they deemed to be pagan. they trashed most of the stuff in central America that could help us translate acient writings, i wouldnt be surprised if they got rid of dino bones. however we are also WAY older than we know. the fact that every culture has a flood stpry suggests that there were great civilizations that were around far before our acient recorded history. perhaps there was a massive flood that wiped out nearly all of it and we just took forever to rebuild. how else to explain pyramids on nearly every continent? cities have been found in India that are insanely old that had plumbing far before most thought it was invented. There are lost cities all over Africa. Same as in South America. We really have no idea how old we are.
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 01:14 PM   #22
kentatm
NBA Legend

kentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixerFan03
And I'm just wondering, but what animal is the Leviathan? What is the fire breathing sea serpent?

from the Bible

Quote:
1. Isaiah 27:1: "In that day the Lord with his sore and great and strong sword shall punish leviathan the piercing serpent, even leviathan that crooked serpent; and he shall slay the dragon that is in the sea."

2. Psalms 74:14: "Thou didst crush the heads of the Leviathan, thou didst give him for food to the desert people."

3. Psalms 104:25,26: "O Lord, how manifold thy works, in wisdom you have created them all. So is this great and wide sea... there go the ships and the Leviathan which you have created to play with";

4. Book of Job 3:8 "Lo let the night be solitary, let no joyful cry be heard in it. Let them curse it who curse the day who are ready to awake the Leviathan";

5. Book of Job 41:1-34: "Can you draw out a Leviathan with a hook or press down its tongue with a cord? Canst thou put a hook into his nose? or bore his jaw through with a bridle ring? Will he make many supplications to thee? Will he speak soft words to thee? Will he make a covenant with thee? To take him for thy servant forever? Will thou play with him as with a bird? Or wilt thou bind him for thy girls? Will the tradesmen heap up payment for him?... Lay thy hand upon him, thou will no more think of fighting. Behold the hope of him is in vain, shall not one be cast down even at the sight of him? None is so fierce that dare stir him up. who then is able to stand before me?...Who can open the doors of his face? His teeth are terrible round about. His scales are his pride, shut up together as with a close seal. One is near to the another, that no air can come between them. They are joined one to another, they stick together, that they cannot be sundered. By his [sneezing] a light doth shine, and his eyes are like the eyelids of morning. Out of his mouth go burning lamps, and sparks of fire leap out. Out of his nostrils goeth smoke, as out of a seething pot or caldron. His breath kindleth coals, and a flame goeth out of his mouth....His heart is as firms as stone; yea, as hard as a piece of the nether millstone....He esteemeth iron as straw, and brass as rotten wood. The arrow cannot make him flee: slingstones are turned with him into stubble....He maketh the deep to boil like a pot....he is a king over all the children of pride."
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 01:21 PM   #23
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

Timmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixerFan03
None of those are dinosaurs. Crocodiles and Plesiosuars were around at the time of dinosaurs, but are not dinos themselves. Crocs have evolved since then (like Sharks have). It's possible the Plesiosaur evolved as well, but no one knows because no one has proven the Loch Ness Monster exists.

The Komodo dragon also is not a dinosaur, but a large lizard that is a type of Monitor Lizard. They shared a common ancestor that lived in the ocean.

just because they aren't 90 feet long and weight 40 tons doesn't mean they aren't dinosaurs. About 85% percent of the dinosaurs were reptiles, these are reptiles and have many characteristics of the dinosaurs, but due to the conditions of the atmosphere, they dont grow as big as their ancestors. I could go as far as saying tigers are dinosaurs because their ancestors date back to that time, or elephants are dinosaurs because their ancestors date back to that time, but those particular species dont so i don't believe they are.
Old 07-12-2006, 01:27 PM   #24
SixerFan03
High School JV MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentatm
part of that could be a fanatical church that went around destroying anything they deemed to be pagan. they trashed most of the stuff in central America that could help us translate acient writings, i wouldnt be surprised if they got rid of dino bones.

Maybe. It's possible. It's hard to argue from silence, though.

Quote:
however we are also WAY older than we know. the fact that every culture has a flood stpry suggests that there were great civilizations that were around far before our acient recorded history.

Or it sugguests that floods were very common and that a story about a flood would be a great parable to teach a lesson or teach civic pride or something to that extent. The Middle Eastern flood stories (Syrian, Hebrew, Babylonian, etc.) are basically identical (although the Babylonian story is the Syrian story). The close proximity of the cultures makes it impossible to prove there was one story at the center. It is also possible that many elements of culture were shared between the nations.

Quote:
perhaps there was a massive flood that wiped out nearly all of it and we just took forever to rebuild. how else to explain pyramids on nearly every continent?

It's a logical design that could have been built at any time. It also has a spiritual significance that works in many cultures. At the point would be the king. He is touching the heavens. Below him are all his people in steps.

Quote:
cities have been found in India that are insanely old that had plumbing far before most thought it was invented. There are lost cities all over Africa. Same as in South America. We really have no idea how old we are.

True, but that doesn't prove anything. We have no idea how old civilization is. Most historians believe that people were nomads for a long time before begining civilization. It's possible Civilization is older than originally thought. Although, India did have the world's first cities so they would have been more developed than the rest of the world (Jerico would be the oldest city from the Middle East).
Old 07-12-2006, 01:32 PM   #25
SixerFan03
High School JV MVP

Quote:
just because they aren't 90 feet long and weight 40 tons doesn't mean they aren't dinosaurs. About 85% percent of the dinosaurs were reptiles, these are reptiles and have many characteristics of the dinosaurs, but due to the conditions of the atmosphere, they dont grow as big as their ancestors. I could go as far as saying tigers are dinosaurs because their ancestors date back to that time, or elephants are dinosaurs because their ancestors date back to that time, but those particular species dont so i don't believe they are.

100% of all dinosaurs were reptiles (where did you get 85?). The animals you listed are not dinosaurs. Lizards are not dinosaurs (rule out the Komodo Dragon). Dinosaurs did not fly or live in the sea (rule out the Plesiosaur). And Dinosuars did not crawl on their bellies like Crocodiles. Crocodiles were around at the time of the dinosuars, but scientist put them as a different species.

I don't understand your last point about the tigers and elephants. Sharks pre-date the dinosaurs, but are not dinosaurs themselves.
Old 07-12-2006, 01:37 PM   #26
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

Ok, I had always put Saber-toothed tigers, Pterdactyls, Archeopteryx's, and such as dinosaurs. My mistake
Old 07-12-2006, 01:50 PM   #27
shadow
Laker fan here

shadow is considered somewhat coolshadow is considered somewhat cool

Quote:

I'm relatively certain the term dinosaurs does not apply to mammals, or reptiles existing today (lizards, crocs, etc).
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 02:10 PM   #28
SixerFan03
High School JV MVP

Quote:
Ok, I had always put Saber-toothed tigers, Pterdactyls, Archeopteryx's, and such as dinosaurs. My mistake

No. Actually Saber Toothed Tigers did not live at the same time as dinosaurs (according to scientists), but they did live with people.

Humans are actually one of the most adaptive animals to ever live on earth. Humans can migrate long distances and move on the run over long distances. This alone helped us become the top species. Factor in inteligence, the fact that we're oportunistic eaters, and our language that allows us to pass on and expand upon knowlege, it is no wonder why we're the dominant species.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:18 PM   #29
bjtrdff
Darrick Martin's Coach

bjtrdff has decent reputationbjtrdff has decent reputation
Default Well

I had a vision from God, and it showed me how a bunch of dinosaurs were brought back to life in the modern world using advanced cloning techniques.

Im going to write a new volume of the bible about it, called 'billy and the cloneasaurus'.
bjtrdff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 02:21 PM   #30
WoGiTaLiA1
Local High School Star

WoGiTaLiA1 has decent reputationWoGiTaLiA1 has decent reputation

Quote:
It's a logical design that could have been built at any time. It also has a spiritual significance that works in many cultures. At the point would be the king. He is touching the heavens. Below him are all his people in steps.

Not to mention the whole pointing towards the sun and moon(which were worshipped in many cultures, especially American ones). All it would have taken was someone to work out that the Triangle itself is a marvel in engineering and the pyramid would be the next logical step. That said, it is nice to believe in the whole Atlantis idea, it could well have some truth, even if it isnt in a literal sense.

Quote:
Lizards are not dinosaurs

Thats a half truth. Lizards are not dinosaurs, but dinosaurs are lizards. Dinosaur literally means "fearfully great lizard". I guess in that sense you could argue that modern day lizards are in fact a type of dinosaur or at least a distant relative. They are almost certainly a distant relative, if not closer. But I do see the point, there are no true dinosaurs, though compared to the other lizards around a komodo dragon could fit in the description.
WoGiTaLiA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: