Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-11-2007, 04:43 PM   #1
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Jackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Top 10 NFL WRs of all-time

1. Jerry Rice - The obvious #1.
2. Chris Carter - All he does is catch touchdowns!
3. Don Hutson - It's really hard to compare him to the others, but he dominated his era like no other.
4. Tim Brown - He started off his career slow, but he then became a very consistent receiver.
5. Marvin Harrison - He'll continue to climb this list as he continues to play.
6. Lance Alworth
7. Steve Largent
8. Terrell Owens
9. James Lofton
10. Paul Warfield

Honorable mentions:

Don Maynard
Randy Moss
Irving Fryar
Charlie Joiner
Art Monk
Andre Reed
Henry Ellard
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 04:48 PM   #2
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

mlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Top 10 NFL WRs of all-time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackass18
1. Jerry Rice - The obvious #1.
2. Chris Carter - All he does is catch touchdowns!
3. Don Hutson - It's really hard to compare him to the others, but he dominated his era like no other.
4. Tim Brown - He started off his career slow, but he then became a very consistent receiver.
5. Marvin Harrison - He'll continue to climb this list as he continues to play.
6. Lance Alworth
7. Steve Largent
8. Terrell Owens
9. James Lofton
10. Paul Warfield

Honorable mentions:

Don Maynard
Randy Moss
Irving Fryar
Charlie Joiner
Art Monk
Andre Reed
Henry Ellard

Yup.........That Cris Carter is a TD catching machine. Man, he really racked up some big numbers last year. He has such blazing speed. It's almost as if he's "not even there"
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 05:02 PM   #3
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

Skywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Shouldnt Randy Moss be ahead of Terrell Owens?
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 05:04 PM   #4
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

mlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

soon to be on this list.........

Old 07-11-2007, 05:05 PM   #5
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

Skywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Randy
138 games, 10700 yds, 101 tds

vs

TO
158 games, 11715, 114 tds

Randy is also 3 or 4 years younger
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 05:10 PM   #6
Randy
NBA sixth man of the year

Randy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Not top 10 all time, but should be a HOF lock:

Despite going undrafted, he is ranked 15th in NFL history in career receptions and 16th all time in receiving yards, and has 2 Super Bowl rings. Vastly underrated wide reciever.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 06:51 PM   #7
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Jackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Randy Moss has to resurrect his career in NE to have a chance to make the list. Besides, he's admitted to being lazy on the field. There are too many more deserving people above him.

Chad Johnson is overrated.

If Art Monk isn't in the HOF, then Smith isn't getting in, either.
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 07:03 PM   #8
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackass18
Randy Moss has to resurrect his career in NE to have a chance to make the list. Besides, he's admitted to being lazy on the field. There are too many more deserving people above him.

Chad Johnson is overrated.

If Art Monk isn't in the HOF, then Smith isn't getting in, either.

Since 2003, he has averaged around 90 catches a season and roughly 1300 yards a season. Has good speed, good hands, and is not afraid to take a bit hit in the middle of the field.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:07 PM   #9
West-Side
Decent college freshman

West-Side has an OK reputation so far

Where is Michael Irvin?
West-Side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 07:52 PM   #10
dgbigballer9329
Great young streetballer

dgbigballer9329 has an OK reputation so far

Good list Jackass, I agree with a good portion of it and the ones I don't....I can understand the rationale.

Just gonna copy and paste from the other thread.......maybe more people will try their hand in this one:

Quote:
I may have to explain my rationale: I went by career numbers secondary to my perceived view of their skill levels based on what I know and have seen, but I also have to accredit great ones that I never saw. How do you rank Don Hutson, who was the first great receiver, in comparison to Randy Moss? Lot of factors and I will try to explain moreso at the end.

1. Jerry Rice-What needs to be said? Average speed, average size. Best that's ever done it by miles. How did he do it? We'll never know.

2A/2B. Michael Irvin/Don Hutson-I almost feel like Mike is too high. But I'm looking at the all-time leaders list all the way down to the 50's.....and there's no one I can say that did it better. The only guy I considered is Cris Carter, and while he was a fabulous possession receiver, couldn't hit the home run or scare defenses like Michael. It's something that I'm really going to hold against Cris whether it's deserved or not. Michael wasn't fast - 4.7 speed, but was just The Playmaker. Perfected the push-off too, but that's the Redskin fan in me talking (but really, he got away wish more push-offs than anyone). Could do it all - slants, outs, run after the catch, deep ball, great hands, etc. And while there are receivers on down the list who had more natural talent, none put it all together more than Michael.

As for Hutson, his #s are way ahead of anyone else in his time period, which is telling. They didn't throw the ball back then. Big #s even by some of today's standards, and from what I hear about him was bigger and faster than other people in his time. Kind of the Babe Ruth-rule here...I've seen only a smidgeon of highlights but this pick is more out of respect to history.

4. Cris Carter-I don't really want to put him here. Statistically, I could've put Tim Brown here, but I just don't feel Tim Brown had the impact on a football game that Cris did, even if Cris was more limited. I want to put Moss/T.O. here, because both were more talented. But at the end of the day, in terms of production, consistency/dependability, and the ability to catch anything in his vicinity, I'm forced to take Carter. He wasn't fast.......but around the goal-line, he was darn near automatic. Of course as the story goes, Buddy Ryan cut him because "all he does is catch touchdowns."

Not a gamebreaker, but I can remember quite a few times where he would find soft spots in the zones for long receptions. Big and could stave off contact like a man even bigger, like T.O. And a great trash-talker, too.

Like I said, I want to put guys ahead of him, but I just can't. He was too damn productive and too damn consistent. And I could've put Tim Brown ahead of him, but as I'll get to, I don't feel Tim Brown was a force on the field like Carter. Just a gut call, having seen them both many times.

5. Steve Largent-Again, not as talented as Moss or Owens by a longshot. But was somehow their equal as a receiver with the added bonus that he was an exceptional blocker for a little man. For someone with perceived lack of speed, had a great knack for getting behind the defense (16.0 ypc for his career). Nose for the ball, as he had 100 TDs in an era, again, where receivers didn't post as big of numbers as they do today in general (though it did happen occasionally). Until Rice came into his own, he was probably the best wideout in the game for a number of years, which is important to me. Career numbers are great, but how do you stack up to your peers. Can anyone remember thinking Tim Brown was the best in the game outside of Rice??? No, because really, he never was. That's important. Largent was also tough as they came. Receiver that slips through the cracks but just remarkable.

6A/6B Moss/T.O. I wish both were higher, but I can't do it. Randy Moss was so f*cking ill that I feel he actually underachieved in his career by "only" being the 6th greatest receiver of all-time. You're talking about a guy that's amongst the fastest (in his prime) receivers ever, biggest ever, amongst the best vertical jump amongst wideouts ever, and had fantastic hands, unparalleled ability to track the deep ball in flight, and could catch with multiple defenders around him. Yet there are just things that obviously bump him. Admits that he didn't try hard on every play. Not a good blocker. Never worked THAT hard on getting stronger down the middle, though he could do it. Could have been better at it though. The biggest thing to me though, is that he seemed to disappear in big games. In both NFC championship games the Vikings were in, he was relatively shut down, as he also was when the Vikings needed a win to make the playoffs against Arizona. He was great on Monday night, for sure, but didn't seem to get open enough in even bigger games.

T.O......hmmm. Big, fast, strong as an ox, runs after the catch, you know the skills. Most complete receiver in the game today, likely, and maybe has been for awhile. But for one, he's always dropped alot of balls. Always. And I tend to disregard the off-the-field stuff, but his track record is too glaring to neglect. In my mind, he has definitely had a negative impact on every team he's played for concerning his attitude. I have trouble respecting any receiver whose thrown two quarterbacks completely under the bus.

Those things don't matter as much to me as others, but I just can't put T.O. any higher because of that, combined with his drops/occasional gunshy attitude towards getting hit.

8. Marvin Harrison-Numbers aren't that of Tim Brown's. There are other guys with similar numbers, Ellard, Lofton, Andre Reed, Jimmy Smith, etc. But all of those guys I've seen. And I think Harrison was the best. You could argue that Tim Brown never had a Peyton Manning. But Tim Brown was in pass happy systems just like Marvin. Speed combined with route running ability that might be the best the game's ever seen outside of Rice. And seemingly hasn't lost a step at age 34, so who knows where he'll end up. Absolute gamebreaker. Not too much to say about him, just a "gut" that I'd rather have him than some others.

9. Lance Alworth-The original home run hitter. "Bambi", if you hear stories from people that played from the time period, was a cut above everyone else. Didn't have a long career so career numbers don't stack up, but was tremendous during his prime. I've seen him on tape and he had the speed and moves to be great today. One drawback is he played in the wide open AFL, but he played less games too, so it evens out. Didn't see him regularly so it's hard to compare to today's guys.........but that's what this list is about.

10. Tim Brown-His numbers are appallingly good. Did you know Tim Brown was 3rd on the NFL's all-time receptions list and 2nd in yards?? That cannot be ignored. Tim was also extremely fast, had good size, and could run after the catch. Statistically, you could really make a case for him as high as two. But seeing him play, I just never saw him to have as much an impact on the game as some other guys. He was consistent and damn sure very good. But I felt like there were at least 2-3 guys better than him every single year. I never saw him as good as T.O. or Moss. Rice or Irvin. Just not at that level to me. And that's why I have him relatively far down compared to others.

If I had to pick a number 11, it'd be John Stallworth despite his somewhat low career #s. Pittsburgh didn't throw too much in his day, and he was playing opposite Lynn Swann. But he was T.O. before T.O., without the drops and disruptions

Honorable mentions: Raymond Berry, James Lofton, Jimmy Smith, Charlie Joiner, Henry Ellard, Andre Reed.
dgbigballer9329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 07:57 PM   #11
HitandRun Reggie
I hit open layups

HitandRun Reggie has an OK reputation so far

Michael Irvin ain't even in the honorable mentions?
HitandRun Reggie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 07:58 PM   #12
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

He doesnt have Michael Irvin but you can understand the rationale?
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 08:01 PM   #13
dgbigballer9329
Great young streetballer

I think I remember Jackass being a Redskins fan, as I am too. We all loved Art Monk, but was he honestly better than Gary Clark? I saw both these guys in their primes and Gary was more of an impact player. I could see taking Art because his career production was awesome though..........damn, noone remembers how sick Gary Clark was in his prime, and that's a shame. He was Steve Smith before Steve Smith.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:02 PM   #14
dgbigballer9329
Great young streetballer

Quote:
He doesnt have Michael Irvin but you can understand the rationale?

Redskins fan, that guy got away with so many push offs on Darrell Green it's not even funny.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:04 PM   #15
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgbigballer9329
Redskins fan, that guy got away with so many push offs on Darrell Green it's not even funny.

Cuz Green was a midget.

But I forgot he was a Deadskins fan. Understandable indeed!
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: