Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 07-12-2007, 07:05 PM   #16
Richie2k6
Smooth Like Butter

Default Re: Dwight Howard gets $80mil extension

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Exactly...heck give me a hook shot. One of them spin to the baseline hook shots. One in the paint hook shot. Incoroporate a hook shot please. I know big men take time to develop...something that will happen to Oden. But its about progress and I dont see how he improved that much this past season from the year before. If it continues again this year there Orlando has a problem.
He hardly got much better in terms of skill since 2 years ago. He's just gotten stronger and smarter. Skill wise, he's still not very great. As I said, dunk and layups are his points. He couldn't hit a free throw if you put a gun to his head. Barkley worded it perfectly one time on TNT.

"If Dwight Howard can't get an easy look for a dunk or a layup, he's not going to score."

Just please gain a hookshot or baseline spin move or improve your drop step or something. He's not going to win much by over powering his defenders, because eventually, big men with actual SKILL are going to walk all over him. I just hope he improves over the summer.
Richie2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 07:16 PM   #17
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Whats up with him avg damn near 4 turnovers a game!

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkylikemonkey
It's true, the Magic rarely run plays for Dwight. With a better point guard that would actually feed him the ball, he would be a much better scorer. Maybe the addition of Lewis will keep attention away from Dwight and his scoring average could go up a good amount this year.

When have you seen Dwight get the ball and display low post moves? When you sit there and ponder on that reply to me please. I guess its the PG's fault he just dunks, layups? You let me know.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 07:18 PM   #18
Richie2k6
Smooth Like Butter

Quote:
Whats up with him avg damn near 4 turnovers a game!
He's not a very good passer at all, which is another thing people forget. He can't pass out of the double well, and often gets stripped or gets too physical and commits an offensive foul.

He needs to become a better passer, too.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:19 PM   #19
ALBballer
Religion? LOL? WTF?

Quote:
3yrs in the NBA and he hasnt been taught?

Outside of rebounding what is Dwight great at? I'm curious.

He's great at being big.
ALBballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 07:23 PM   #20
The Answer
National High School Star

Dwight is a beast. He has the best combinaton of size and athleticism in the league. The fact that he is able to get about 18 points on almost nothing but dunks is quite impressive. Like others have already said, he needs to improve his post moves and learn to pass out of double teams better. If he can do that, he'll be a force in the league for years to come.
The Answer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 07:26 PM   #21
The Answer
National High School Star

Quote:
He's not even a great blocker. I mean at 1.9? Eh

I don't get that either. A physical marvel like himself should be able to get more than that. After all, virtually every shot taken near him is within his physical range to block. You'd expect him to get more. Maybe Ewing will be able to help him realize his potential in that regard.
The Answer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 07:27 PM   #22
luigi>mario
Now known as Luigi

In Howard's defense

I think FG%, though not necesarrily a "skill", is still admirable. That is helping your team. When he gets an offensive board, a lot of times guys get out of the way from the dunk initimidation he causes. I'd run for the hills I he just boarded over me.

He does need a go to move other than the hamer dunk, which I still like. Even with a high fg%, if he is too predictable he lets his team down unless he can find other ways to score. I see him as having mini DRob potential. But what does potential mean? That really just means you haven't done crap yet.

But hey, I still like the dunks.
luigi>mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 07:36 PM   #23
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

Quote:
Dwight Howard gets $80mil extension
And becomes the second highest-paid player on the Magic.
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 08:15 PM   #24
NugzFan
College superstar

so lewis is going to get paid more than dwight? sure doesnt seem right.
NugzFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 08:24 PM   #25
WildStyle
High School Starter

Dwight has a freakin' hookshot. FFS! If you don't even know that then you obviously haven't seen much of him and probably shouldn't comment at all.
WildStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 08:34 PM   #26
Shogon Vendetta
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildStyle
Dwight has a freakin' hookshot. FFS! If you don't even know that then you obviously haven't seen much of him and probably shouldn't comment at all.

Pretty much.

He has a deadly left hook from the baseline. It's not a full hook... moreso what they call a "baby" hook, but he's got it, and it's very good.

Of course, it's weird that he's better with the left considering he's righthanded, but whatever.
Shogon Vendetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 08:37 PM   #27
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Oh he has a babyhook on the baseline where he can only use it with his one hand. Wow
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 08:45 PM   #28
Richie2k6
Smooth Like Butter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildStyle
Says the outraged Magic fan.

He doesn't have an upper-echelon (sp) hookshot. I hardly ever see him do it, and it's not his go to move. Stop defending the guy for a second and face the facts. Seriously.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:06 PM   #29
BradMiller52
Kings fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie2k6
Says the outraged Magic fan.

He doesn't have an upper-echelon (sp) hookshot. I hardly ever see him do it, and it's not his go to move. Stop defending the guy for a second and face the facts. Seriously.

Exactly. I remember even making a topic about this last season after watching him suck against the Kings frontline. I was expecting him to get 20/20 or 25/15 or something and he didn't really do... anything. He ended up with 6 points/12 boards. Against maybe the worst post defenders in the league in Brad Miller and SAR. Whenever I watch him he doesn't seem to score much in the post.
BradMiller52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 09:11 PM   #30
Richie2k6
Smooth Like Butter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradMiller52
Exactly. I remember even making a topic about this last season after watching him suck against the Kings frontline. I was expecting him to get 20/20 or 25/15 or something and he didn't really do... anything. He ended up with 6 points/12 boards. Against maybe the worst post defenders in the league in Brad Miller and SAR. Whenever I watch him he doesn't seem to score much in the post.
That's another thing I don't like about his game - he's massive, strong and athletic, the franchise player, but he can't handle the scoring load. One night he can get you 20/20, the next night he can, literally, get you 4/12. I don't understand why he can't score a bit more. That's half the reason they signed Shard - consistent offense, something Howard doesn't have.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: