Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-12-2007, 07:45 PM   #1
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Default Payrod err Arod

After the New York Yankees on Wednesday indicated they would break from tradition and negotiate during the season with Alex Rodriguez on a contract extension, his agent moved in quickly to define what it would take to keep the superstar third baseman playing in New York.

And that would be unprecedented millions per season.

In a telephone interview with the New York Post, Scott Boras said Rodriguez assuredly will become Major League Baseball's first $30 million-a-year player.

However, Boras said he will not take up the Yankees' offer to negotiate before the season ends.

"We are not going to be negotiating during the season," Boras said. Boras insisted he could see no way that strategy will change, saying "This is Alex's decision. This has been his policy, and I fully expect this to continue to be his policy."

MLB sources told ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney that the Yankees were willing to negotiate with Rodriguez -- under the condition that he agrees not to opt out of his current contract after this season and that he agrees to tack on any extension to that deal, which expires after the 2010 season.

Even if his client doesn't go the opt-out route, Boras told the Post that there are existing stipulations in the current deal that all but guarantee Rodriguez would earn a minimum of $32 million in both the 2009 and 2010 seasons.

"The way the provision operates, he either gets that or he can become a free agent after any of those seasons again," Boras told the newspaper.

Approximately one-third of the remaining $81 million of the current contract is being paid by the Texas Rangers, which was part of the trade that brought Rodriguez to New York.

Though the Yankees are underperforming so far this season, it's not Rodriguez's fault. He led the major leagues at the All-Star break with 30 home runs and 86 RBIs and has a .317 average.

Buster Olney is a senior writer for ESPN The Magazine.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2933639

GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 08:11 PM   #2
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Default Re: Payrod err Arod

He could averahe 150 RBI & 50 HR for the rest of his career and he still wouldn't be worth 30+ million per.

For a sport like baseball where individuals (aside from pitchers, but they play 35 games a year) dont have the oppurtunity to dominate on a game-to-game basis...30 million is too much for one player.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 08:15 PM   #3
ShawnieMac06
High School Varsity 6th Man

I'll be surprised if he stays in the Bronx beyond this season. The three teams that might be looking for A-Rod are the Angels (who need a big bat around Vlad Guerrero), Cubs, and Giants (to be that big star to replace Barry).
ShawnieMac06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 08:18 PM   #4
proof
Banned

This is Boras talking. I remember he wanted $200 mil for Beltran.
proof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 08:38 PM   #5
SJellen
I hit open 5-footers

kg and arod
SJellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 10:53 PM   #6
skillswithaz
I bust ghosts

That's a ton of money, but A-Rod will settle with the Yankees for less than that but still being the highest paid player ever.

Because if he leaves, we all know where he's going and that's not good for Yankees fans.
skillswithaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 11:44 PM   #7
J_Rock3ts
The Truth

Yeah, I'm a big fan of that team. We could use a shortstop right now. But not for 30 mil per.
J_Rock3ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 12:02 AM   #8
proof
Banned

Can other teams even afford it?
proof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 12:59 AM   #9
J_Rock3ts
The Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by proof
Can other teams even afford it?

Boston, NY, and Anaheim are the 3 supposed teams in the running. Texas' brass has expressed an interest, but they've been notoriously cheap since giving A-Rod up to NY. I hate sounding like a homer, but I think he ends up in B-Town. He's playing 3rd base in NY or Anaheim. Or Texas for that matter. Lugo's been a bust, so Boston would certainly play him at short, which he prefers. On the other hand, Boston would probably have to cut ties with Man-Ram, and I don't think it makes them a whole lot better. (Even though Manny's been fairly bad in '07). Either way, the whole A-Rod situation'll be interesting, to say the least.
J_Rock3ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 02:34 AM   #10
Rameek
Krust Kingz

You really cant put a value on a gold glove all star SS and 3rd baseman. that hits the way he can....

I dont think he'll get the 30 mill but he may get the same money as he is now...

Imagine dumb a$$ seattle wants to pay a lead off hitter 18 to 20 mill a year
Rameek is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: