Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 07-12-2007, 09:29 PM   #1
LMFAO
Serious playground baller

LMFAO has decent reputationLMFAO has decent reputation
Default Spurs trade Butler, Scola for Spanoulis

Spurs trade Butler, Scola for Spanoulis

Greek guard acquired, but likely to stay in Europe

Johnny Ludden
Express-News staff writer

The Spurs have agreed to trade center Jackie Butler and Argentine forward Luis Scola to the Houston Rockets for guard Vassilis Spanoulis, a future second-round pick and cash considerations, an NBA source said Thursday evening.

Spanoulis, who played sparingly for the Rockets last season, is expected to remain in Europe.

The Spurs don’t figure to spend much time on introductions when they open training camp in a little more than two months.

Hoping to keep intact the roster that won them last season’s championship, the Spurs re-signed guard Jacque Vaughn and forward Matt Bonner on Thursday. After center Fabricio Oberto also re-signs in the coming days, all 12 members of the team’s playoff roster will be under contract.

Bonner received a three-year contract worth about $9 million while Vaughn received a two-year deal totaling around $2.5 million.

Bonner, 27, averaged 4.9 points and 2.8 rebounds in 56 games after joining the Spurs a year ago in a trade that sent center Rasho Nesterovic to Toronto. His role could increase this season if the Spurs decide to continue cutting back Robert Horry’s minutes.

Bonner, who stands 6-foot-10, is the type of big forward with 3-point range team executives now crave during the league’s small-ball era. He quickly won over coaches and teammates – not to mention the Spurs’ fans – with his hustle and every-man personality, and appeared to carve out a spot for himself in the rotation before injuring his left knee midway through the season.

Vaughn, 32, replaced Beno Udrih as the team’s primary backup point guard because coach Gregg Popovich valued his hustle and toughness. He averaged 3.0 points and 2.0 assists in 64 games.

The Spurs also had interest in signing Detroit forward Amir Johnson, but he re-signed with the Pistons on Thursday.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/b....6be36230.html

This goes in my bigtime WTF is going on list. I really thought JB had a future as a Spur. Crud
LMFAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 09:32 PM   #2
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

Skywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Spurs trade Butler, Scola for Spanoulis

And what about Scola? isnt he supposed to be hot sh!t?
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 09:32 PM   #3
kwajo
Missing Since 2009

kwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation here

They traded Scola?!? WTF are they thinking? (unless they realized he's never going to play in the NBA because of his buyout)
kwajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 09:35 PM   #4
qwerty
(o_0)

qwerty has decent reputationqwerty has decent reputation

Butler's been doin good in the summer league from what i've seen.
qwerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 09:37 PM   #5
The Answer
National High School Star

The Answer has decent reputationThe Answer has decent reputation

How much is Scola's buyout? Any chance the Rockets can bring him over?
The Answer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 09:38 PM   #6
LMFAO
Serious playground baller

LMFAO has decent reputationLMFAO has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Answer
How much is Scola's buyout? Any chance the Rockets can bring him over?
my understanding is this year he is between contracts. Yes they can bring him over if that is true.
LMFAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 09:39 PM   #7
SCREWstonRockets
Houston Texan

SCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected posterSCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected posterSCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected posterSCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected poster

Hopefully Luis Scola comes over. With the Rockets, he has a very big chance of actually starting or get some significant playing time. V-Span said himself he never wants to come back to the NBA so it's a very good trade for the Rockets.
SCREWstonRockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 09:39 PM   #8
ExpatSunsFan
Local High School Star

ExpatSunsFan has an OK reputation so far

Looks to me like they used Scola's rights to dump Butler's salary. Seems like a good deal for Houston.

I can't imagine Spanoulis coming back to the U.S. any time soon.
ExpatSunsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 09:45 PM   #9
The Answer
National High School Star

The Answer has decent reputationThe Answer has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMFAO
my understanding is this year he is between contracts. Yes they can bring him over if that is true.

Well, this is a great trade for the Rockets then. Not only do they get a couple power forwards, which they sorely lack, but they get to dump a point guard, who was being wasted on the bench and had no desire to play for them anyways.
The Answer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 10:00 PM   #10
fatboy11
NBA sixth man of the year

fatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected poster

Oh sh!t.

Whatcha gonna do, brother? Whatcha gonna do when Jackie Butler and the new look Rockets run wild on..........YOOOOUUUU?!?!?!?!?!?!
fatboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 10:03 PM   #11
qrich
King Heno

qrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation here

Scola's buy out is 2.5 mil to 3.5 mil from what I've read, same with Splitter. Spurs can only provide 500k for him, which is why this move was made in my opinion.
qrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 10:03 PM   #12
sydneyking
Banned

sydneyking has not been impressing people

I think Jackie's good enough to get spot minutes for the Rox.

Does this mean Scola is never coming over? If he does, this would be a steal for Houston.
sydneyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 10:10 PM   #13
countingcrow
Can barely lace up my sneakers

countingcrow has an OK reputation so far

http://www.clutchfans.net/news/1426/...lis_for_scola/

Looks like Scola will be on the Rockets roster this season...

Great trade for the Rockets...
countingcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 10:14 PM   #14
ALBballer
Religion? LOL? WTF?

ALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation here

It's not bad deal at all for the Rockets. Butler is only 22 years old and he's a nice post player. Plus he's cheap and Spanoulis wouldn't be with the team anyway, so it's a win win for the Rockets.

I still don't know why Spurs would give up on Butler so quickly. It's not like he's making a lot of money and he still young. With Oberto and Elson possibly gone, and Splitter will probably stay in Europe, why not keep him around?
ALBballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 10:24 PM   #15
countingcrow
Can barely lace up my sneakers

countingcrow has an OK reputation so far

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4964549.html

Quotes from Rockets GM Daryl Morey confirm that the Rockets fully expect Scola to play for them this season.

countingcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: