Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 07-13-2007, 07:16 PM   #31
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Is Becks going to top Kobe as the leading sports figure in L.A.?

from todays LA Times, the day he was introduced to LA

Quote:
Bored by Beckham.

If Los Angeles' newest sports star makes an impact beyond reality television shows and surreal gossip columns, I will stop using lame movie metaphors to describe him, OK
But, for now, nothing else comes to mind.

David Beckham shows up to join the Galaxy soccer team and meet the Los Angeles media today, and I have but one thought.

Dude, where have you been?

Your final game for your Real Madrid team was nearly a month ago. Since then, the Galaxy has played four games, and won one. It will play another game before you actually take the field next weekend.

Dude, for $32.5 million, couldn't you have caught an earlier flight?

Baffled by Beckham.

One of the most publicized sports stars in the world shows up today more than six months after he agreed to the contract, and excuse me if I can't find the chills.

He is clearly showing up not as an athlete, but a celebrity. He is being chatted up not in sports bars, but star blogs. Folks are viewing him not as a leader of men, but as the husband of Posh.

Olde England and "Access Hollywood" are going nuts about him, but I get the feeling that the heart of Los Angeles just doesn't care.

Soccer experts say he will be like Shaquille O'Neal, but around here, he's bringing Mark Madsen buzz.

Culture honks say he will soon own this town like Kobe Bryant, but right now, most people would rather watch Reggie Willits.

Ask your buddies at work this morning about their excitement over the newest Los Angeles sports arrival.

"Yeah, Derek Fisher is cool," they will say.

We won't know Beckham's true impact, obviously, until he starts playing games. But at this rate, he is going to have to bend the ball from Carson to Rancho Cucamonga to affect our landscape beyond making Galaxy season-ticket holders smile.

"He is more pop star Hollywood than soccer player," acknowledged Jason Bunch, 37, one of those season-ticket holders. "He will be great for soccer fans. But I don't think he's going to be able to convert Joe Football Player Fan."

When Beckham signed here in January, I thought it would be different. I thought by now, the town would be talking. I thought any skepticism about soccer would be replaced an appreciation of good entertainment.

And goodness, the media have tried to push that agenda, with everything from national magazine covers to stories on the front of our sports section that shoved good baseball stories inside.

But it turns out, we're the only folks talking loudly about this stuff.

His sports attraction has been diminished because of two promising Dodgers and Angels seasons and one nutty Lakers off-season. His soccer attraction has been marginalized by purists who know better.

"Any buzz has been media-driven," Bunch said. "I work with a lot of soccer players, and I don't hear anybody talking about Beckham."

I thought by now this would be a prime-time sports story. Instead, it is a better Perez Hilton story, the renowned blogger working overtime to feed its Hollywood appetite.

"It's more than soccer, it's bigger than sports," Hilton said. "It's David and Victoria, it's Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes, it's Hollywood."

Hilton has documented Beckham's move from Posh to slosh, yet does he plan on actually watching the dude play soccer?

"I will probably attend one game, but not more than one," Hilton said. "It's a trek to get to their stadium, isn't it?"

Exactly my point. Beckham's appeal is as a tourist attraction, the latest Disneyland ride, the hot new Pantages musical.

The reporter in me will lead me to cover at least his first game, on July 21 against Chelsea.

But the sports fan in me would much rather be watching Russell Martin against the New York Mets, and I guess I'm not alone.

Just ask Brian Doogan, who has been in town for two weeks covering the Beckham story for the Sunday Times of London.

Yeah, two weeks, poor guy.

If I didn't keep scanning the Internet for more Derek Fisher news, I would have finished my only Beckham buzz column in less than two hours.

I asked Doogan if he had picked up any sense of Los Angeles excitement.

"I have to say no," he said, pausing. "But maybe I haven't been in places where soccer people congregate."

Where soccer people do congregate, Beckham is more about style than substance.

"Whether or not he performs is irrelevant," Bunch said. "It's all about the atmosphere he generates on the pitch."

Sure, he has been compared to Wayne Gretzky, yet Gretzky played here during the last great years of his career, and was good enough to lead the Kings to the Stanley Cup finals. Beckham is past his best years, and has the sort of subtle skills that rarely fuel revivals, particularly on lousy teams.

The Galaxy has won three of 12 games; I predict he won't take them anywhere but to the bank.

Did you know our newest sports star has a cologne, called "Instinct?"

Right now, my instinct is that it smells like a yawn.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...ck=2&cset=true
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 08:16 PM   #32
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year

Da KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by qrich
Just throwing out a name, or had that been discussed? Didn't Henry just go to Barca?
Henry has stated in at least one past interview that NYC is his second favorite city in the world. Said he would like to end his career playing there. He admitted it wouldn't be until he knew he was pretty close to hanging up his cleats though.
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 09:18 PM   #33
Good Old Willy
DBDs

Good Old Willy is considered somewhat coolGood Old Willy is considered somewhat coolGood Old Willy is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
from todays LA Times, the day he was introduced to LA

Journalists like this are just completely ignorant about soccer, players and practice. I wish dribble like that would not be passed along.

To the subject: BB in the US is still much bigger, and Becks won't single handedly vault soccer over Kobe and BB.

One thing I really appreciate here at ISH is that a lot of people know their hoops. On the other hand soccer ... wow. Stick to hoops.

For the record:

re: News
- do not get your international soccer/football opinions from US sources. How many of you read "The Japan Daily" for your Lakers news?

re: All Beckham could do was bend it
- Beckham was a very, very talented multi-faceted player. Brilliant short and long passing, field vision, team leadership, charisma, top defender, top playmaker. No USA player has ever been as good. No current USA player (including Adu) has ceiling as high.

re: Why America?
- The money offer was high
- Yes, Beckham's performance has plateaued, he has peaked. He was bored in Spain, possibly depressed. He is (now again) devoted to his wife, and she had to put up with years in places she did not want to be. They profess to love America, and he is doing this partially for her, and her planned 'career' in Hollywood. There are hundreds of teams in Europe that would love to have him play there.

re: Donovan, Adu, Beasly are all better
- Beckham immediately becomes the best player in the MLS by a WIDE margin. There is no player in the MLS who could make the Real Madrid practice squad.
- There is no one single USA player today that is good enough to start in any of the top 10-15 teams in the world. (Chelsea, ManU, Bayern, Barcelona, Milan, etc)
- How do I further explain this? I know, a relativity example. NBA: Remove the top 5 players from every team in the league. Now pretend LA just added Jordan at 32.

How big is soccer?
Europe is like an NBA league with 300 teams. Don't forget the further 300 more teams at tier 2, 3 and 4 below that. They are all scouting for talent.

Thank you. Enjoy Becks, he has 1-2 good seasons left, then maybe 2-3 more after that.
Good Old Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 09:45 PM   #34
Hawker
Banned

Hawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by qrich
Beckham isn't going to lift anything. Juan Pablo Angel was signed by the RedBull and has 9 goals as is for them in 10 appearances. Another thing, LA soccer doesn't need to be lifted as the Galaxy are in the tops in the league in attendence. Hell, they might be struggling, but we don't even need Beckham as we just got Donovan back[better then Becks at the moment], barely acquired; Abel Xavier[Portugese National Player], Carlos Povan[Honduran Striker], Chris Klein, Aaron Gray. Beckham won't even be a solid player on the pitch, he's past his prime, and will do nothing but kill the Galaxy tradition. The new jerseys are already crap asis. And now, ticket prices will be raised.

let see donovan do better than beckham on real madrid in this past season...your statement is just plain wrong. If you have watched him lately, he is making some great crosses that could easily end up as goals if the players just finish them. Beckham is a great player who even though is passed his prime is still playing top notch soccer. His knowledge is still there and he freekicks and corner kicks are still as good.

Donovan couldnt make the england squad either.
Hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 09:49 PM   #35
Hawker
Banned

Hawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakers_forever
Beckham is a joke. Always have been. He was a good player , that's it.
Could never use his lef foot, head the ball, no dribbling skilss at all. He has always been slow as hell. Even in his prime, he was not one of the best players in the world.
I remember seeing Beckham and Manchester United getting schooled by the old legend Romario against Vasco in 2000 at Brasil.

For American soccer , that once had the best player ever playing here , Jesus himself Pele. And also had legends like Beckenbauer, George Best and Eusebio. Signing Beckham means nothing. You guys should invest in youth teams to improve your kids. This crazy signing of famous players did not work long term when you signed the best player ever, it will sure not work by signing the Paris Hilton of soccer, all celebrity gossip, no soccer.

you're nuts man...playing for the top squad in england and the top squad in spain is not a joke. You have to be one hell of a player to play on that level. Yes, he is a little slow but saying he has no dribbling skills is a load of bollocks. Watch games please. In his prime, he was a top 5 player in the world.

see my above post for more reasons why beckham is still a great player.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:55 PM   #36
Hawker
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Beckham is overrated...so mad how they treated him today. Like he a KING.

GOBB, serious question, do you watch soccer? Because i always get the vibe that you absolutely trash soccer. Beckham is not overrated and why are you mad how they treated him? He is pretty much a king.

Plus, I think he handles the celebrity status much better than most. He doesnt seem to get in a whole lot of trouble outside of soccer. The only thing I can think of with soccer is his conflict with his old coach sir alex ferguson.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:01 PM   #37
lakers_forever
National High School Star

lakers_forever has a near all-star reputation herelakers_forever has a near all-star reputation herelakers_forever has a near all-star reputation herelakers_forever has a near all-star reputation herelakers_forever has a near all-star reputation herelakers_forever has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker
you're nuts man...playing for the top squad in england and the top squad in spain is not a joke. You have to be one hell of a player to play on that level. Yes, he is a little slow but saying he has no dribbling skills is a load of bollocks. Watch games please. In his prime, he was a top 5 player in the world.

see my above post for more reasons why beckham is still a great player.

Great player for MSL?? Yes. Great player meaning world class? No.

He was never top 5 in the world. Even in 99 , the year he was nominated 3rd best player in the world , he was not. Rivaldo, Ronaldo, Zidane, Figo, Roberto Carlos, Raul, Del Piero, Vieri , Veron, Batistuta, even old Romario were all better than him.

Look at what George Best (the best british player ever) said about Beckham in 1999 :

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/618154.stm

"He (Beckham) cannot kick with his left foot, he cannot head a ball, he cannot tackle and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that he's all right"

lakers_forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 10:02 PM   #38
Poseidon
Banned

Poseidon has decent reputationPoseidon has decent reputation

Leading sports figure in LA? More like the leading/biggest sports figure in the entire United States.

Beckham just leapfrogged Tiger, Kobe and A-Rod as the marquee athlete in this nation. As much as I hate soccer, I can even admit this.
Poseidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 10:07 PM   #39
lakers_forever

lakers_forever has a near all-star reputation herelakers_forever has a near all-star reputation herelakers_forever has a near all-star reputation herelakers_forever has a near all-star reputation herelakers_forever has a near all-star reputation herelakers_forever has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker
GOBB, serious question, do you watch soccer? Because i always get the vibe that you absolutely trash soccer. Beckham is not overrated and why are you mad how they treated him? He is pretty much a king.

Plus, I think he handles the celebrity status much better than most. He doesnt seem to get in a whole lot of trouble outside of soccer. The only thing I can think of with soccer is his conflict with his old coach sir alex ferguson.

I'm Brazilian . I have watched football since I was a freaking baby and GOBB is right. Beckham is the most overrated player ever
Pele about Beckham ?

"He is more of a pop star than a player,"
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/en/doc/...ent_255613.htm

Type overrated and Beckham on Google and you will get 220.000 results.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:13 PM   #40
lakers_forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Old Willy
NBA: Remove the top 5 players from every team in the league. Now pretend LA just added Jordan at 32.

Dude Soccer and Basketball are two very different sports.
A soccer player with 29 years old starts to decline. No one was the best player in the world with 35 years old like Jordan was. Not even Pele. Most soccer players don't play untill 38, 39 years of age.
And LA just added a guy like Tony Parker, a good player , not a superstar in terms of talent. More famous , with all the celebrity gossip after him.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:08 PM   #41
crisoner
10 plus years on ISH

crisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Man...Ive traveled outside the states and Beckem is JORDAN and then some every where else. I thhe MLS is gunna come up....buy stock people!!!
crisoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 11:44 PM   #42
Good Old Willy
DBDs

Good Old Willy is considered somewhat coolGood Old Willy is considered somewhat coolGood Old Willy is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakers_forever
Dude Soccer .....

Look, I am not going to talk about soccer with you on this site. I am here for BB. Your following of the MLS is admirable. I like it too, but your comments here are silly and very ignorant. Sometimes it is knowledgeable adults who are reading your comments.

If you want debate and learn you should check out one of the ESM sites. Euro Sport Magazines is the collection of the top football/soccer mags in the world. Most have forums you might like. Especially if you can speak more than just one language.

La Gazzetta dello Sport (Italy) - very large, Italian only though
World Soccer (UK) - english, rabid, mostly Premier League
kicker.de (Germany) is probably one of the most respected. If you speak German, try the forums for some serious intellectual international soccer. They will respond to you english. Watch it though, they do not tolerate many baby comments and the mods can be strict in the specialty sections.
Don Balón (Spain) - spanish, (good apparently, but me no speak)
The BBC site 606 is good too and is in English and more mainstream.

See you there.
Good Old Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 11:58 PM   #43
Efunk7
Serious playground baller

Efunk7 has an OK reputation so far

how many people in here have actually played and/or watched soccer consistently for the past 15-20 years? cuz most of the discussion in here sounds terribly ignorant and based only off stuff people have read or the few minutes they may have watched soccer in their life...being that this is a bbal msgbrd, i have to take what most people are saying with a grain of salt...let me spread some light on the ignorance...
people have become so dis-enamored with beckham's off-field celebrity (which has surpassed his on-field performance) that they have begun to trash and underrate him on the field much more than he deserves...even now, like willy said, he is the best player in the MLS and this is past his prime...he was a key contributor/scorer for madrid this season and the past few...his time at ManU he was a top 10-15 player in the world...you'll be hard pressed to find a player now or in soccer history with better vision/passing, crossing, or free kick/deadball taking than beckham...dude was and still is a baller and still has alot to contribute to MLS both on and off the pitch...
Efunk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 12:29 AM   #44
Hawker
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efunk7
how many people in here have actually played and/or watched soccer consistently for the past 15-20 years? cuz most of the discussion in here sounds terribly ignorant and based only off stuff people have read or the few minutes they may have watched soccer in their life...being that this is a bbal msgbrd, i have to take what most people are saying with a grain of salt...let me spread some light on the ignorance...
people have become so dis-enamored with beckham's off-field celebrity (which has surpassed his on-field performance) that they have begun to trash and underrate him on the field much more than he deserves...even now, like willy said, he is the best player in the MLS and this is past his prime...he was a key contributor/scorer for madrid this season and the past few...his time at ManU he was a top 10-15 player in the world...you'll be hard pressed to find a player now or in soccer history with better vision/passing, crossing, or free kick/deadball taking than beckham...dude was and still is a baller and still has alot to contribute to MLS both on and off the pitch...

best post in this thread...
Old 07-14-2007, 12:41 AM   #45
Soundwave
NBA lottery pick

Soundwave is considered somewhat coolSoundwave is considered somewhat cool

Reminds me of Wayne Gretzky coming to Los Angeles, difference being, at the time Gretzky was hands down the best hockey player on the planet in his prime.

Still 15+ years after that ... hockey still isn't really a mainstay for the general SoCal sports scene.

Soccer has a better chance because of the weather differences, but Beckham is no where near as dominant of a player as Gretzky was, nor is soccer anywhere near as fast paced or high scoring (relatively) as hockey is.

To compare that to a L.A. sports institution like the Lakers ... forget it. Not even close.
Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: