Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 07-13-2007, 11:20 PM   #1
Shep
Decent college freshman

Default Worst 6th Man of the Year Decision Ever

There have been 25 6th Man of the Year awards. The award has been given to the correct player only 7 of those 25 times. A success rate of 28% , so there have obviously been some terrible decisions with regards to the award.

The worst decision ever however was the naming of Ricky Pierce in 1990, when there was an astonishing 12 players more deserving of the award than Pierce, most notably Kevin McHale.

McHale averaged 20.9ppg, 8.3rpg, 2.1apg, .4spg, and 1.9bpg, with 55%FG and 89%FT

Pierce averaged 23ppg, 2.8rpg, 2.3apg, .8spg, and .1bpg, with 51%FG, and 84%FT

So obviously statistically McHale is miles ahead of Pierce

Then factor in McHale easily being a better defender than Pierce
Then factor in Boston won 52 games to Milwaukee's 44
and finally that McHale played all 82 games and Pierce played only 59 and you have yourselves the worst 6th Man of the Year decision ever
Shep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 11:24 PM   #2
skillswithaz
I bust ghosts

Default Re: Worst 6th Man of the Year Decision Ever

not saying I watched basketball back then, but hustle and energy are very important factors to a 6th man and McHale doesn't strike me as an energetic player. More of a fundamental get-it-done kind of guy.

and how can you say McHale is miles ahead of Pierce? It's actually very close except for rebounding. And obviously, as a guard it wasn't Pierce's job to rebound, so how is he going to get the stats?
skillswithaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 11:27 PM   #3
nottheone
I hit open layups

Quote:
There have been 25 6th Man of the Year awards. The award has been given to the correct player only 7 of those 25 times.
in your estimation. this isn't a fact. dont even try and play it off like that.
nottheone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 12:00 AM   #4
fatboy11
NBA sixth man of the year

I would have gone McHale also, but you can't argue 23 points a game OFF THE BENCH. That does happen anymore. Those days are gone.

By the way, who are the other 11 or 12 guys more deserving than Pierce from that season?
fatboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 12:32 AM   #5
WADE MONEY
I hit open jumpers.

who started over mchale that season?
WADE MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 01:10 AM   #6
Shep
Decent college freshman

Quote:
not saying I watched basketball back then, but hustle and energy are very important factors to a 6th man and McHale doesn't strike me as an energetic player. More of a fundamental get-it-done kind of guy.
: yeh its all about the energy. give the man the ball, he'll shoot it every time he gets it, lets name this guy the 6th man of the year just because he shoots the ball. what else can he do? what if he isn't hitting shots? can he do anything else to effectively help his team?
Quote:
and how can you say McHale is miles ahead of Pierce? It's actually very close except for rebounding. And obviously, as a guard it wasn't Pierce's job to rebound, so how is he going to get the stats?
it wasn't pierce's job to rebound, probably the worst excuse of all. just because it isn't his job he doesn't have to help his team out by rebounding every so often? jordan averaged 6rpg a number of years, robertson averaged 10rpg a number of years but they didn't have to..reasons why they are so great is that they do the intangible things. and statistically it isn't close, look at the rebounds, look at the blocked shots, and then the FG% and FT%
Quote:
in your estimation. this isn't a fact. dont even try and play it off like that
no it isn't an estimation, it is real, it is factual.
Quote:
I would have gone McHale also, but you can't argue 23 points a game OFF THE BENCH
you would have gone mchale, but you can't argue 23 ppg. how old are you?
Quote:
By the way, who are the other 11 or 12 guys more deserving than Pierce from that season?
john williams, rod strickland, thurl bailey, vlade divac, detlef schrempf, john salley, dan majerle, herb williams, vinnie johnson, ron anderson, and rod higgins
Quote:
who started over mchale that season?
Ed Pinckney
Old 07-14-2007, 01:13 AM   #7
fatboy11

Quote:
you would have gone mchale, but you can't argue 23 ppg. how old are you?
What is so funny about that?

The guy averaged 23 a game off the bench and you are acting like it's just some crime or something.

Why should my age come into question because I f*cking agree with you, but won't argue the selection made?
fatboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 01:13 AM   #8
WhiteMosɘs
Free Myanmar

explain to us how that isn't your opinion and is actually fact?
WhiteMosɘs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 01:14 AM   #9
knicks15
Local High School Star

12 guys who were more deservin than a 6th man who avged 23 ppg?
knicks15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 01:23 AM   #10
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

Are you the same guy who tried to tell us that Patrick Ewing was the worst ROY of all time when he averaged over 20/10 with great defense just because his team wasn't good? And that Karl Malone, who averaged about 15, should have gotten it over him?

Your post is pointless. I'm looking for an agenda but I can't find it. You're telling me there were 12 more deserving 6moy candidates than Ricky Pierce, who is regarded as one of the best sixth men of all time and averaged 23ppg that year? Can you list them, their teams, their records and their stats for further review?

To me this looks like a close call that you're stretching into some kind of big deal. If I were you I'd edit the title. This appears to me one of the closest calls in history, and if there were really 12 other guys as good as these 2, better even, then I think that fact deserves a discussion post. But with this, you're just looking for attention.

And of this I am less sure: when was McHale on the bench so consistently as to be eligible for the sixth man award? I thought he didn't start going to the bench until he was totally past it. But putting up 20ppg+ is clearly not past it.
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 01:49 AM   #11
Rockets(T-mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeWiz15
Are you the same guy who tried to tell us that Patrick Ewing was the worst ROY of all time when he averaged over 20/10 with great defense just because his team wasn't good? And that Karl Malone, who averaged about 15, should have gotten it over him?

Your post is pointless. I'm looking for an agenda but I can't find it. You're telling me there were 12 more deserving 6moy candidates than Ricky Pierce, who is regarded as one of the best sixth men of all time and averaged 23ppg that year? Can you list them, their teams, their records and their stats for further review?

To me this looks like a close call that you're stretching into some kind of big deal. If I were you I'd edit the title. This appears to me one of the closest calls in history, and if there were really 12 other guys as good as these 2, better even, then I think that fact deserves a discussion post. But with this, you're just looking for attention.

And of this I am less sure: when was McHale on the bench so consistently as to be eligible for the sixth man award? I thought he didn't start going to the bench until he was totally past it. But putting up 20ppg+ is clearly not past it.
Co-sign you aren't proving how only 28% of 6th man awards are given to the wrong person and you act like Pierce and Mchale had totally different stats they are pretty close and no way there are 12 more players better. If there are than list them and their stats.

Oh yeah I think this is the same guy who said that Marcus Camby is a top 10 player today.
Rockets(T-mac) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 01:56 AM   #12
nottheone
I hit open layups

Quote:
And of this I am less sure: when was McHale on the bench so consistently as to be eligible for the sixth man award?
uhhh... mchale was only a fulltime starter three years in the league.
nottheone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 02:01 AM   #13
qwerty
(o_0)

Why are 67.9% of the threads on ISH today about the 6th Man Award?
qwerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 02:13 AM   #14
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

Quote:
uhhh... mchale was only a fulltime starter three years in the league.
You're right. Actually it's 4 years but same story.

Who exactly started over him?

He was still getting 30+mpg most seasons.
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 07:12 AM   #15
Shep
Decent college freshman

Quote:
What is so funny about that?

The guy averaged 23 a game off the bench and you are acting like it's just some crime or something.

Why should my age come into question because I f*cking agree with you, but won't argue the selection made?
you agree with me saying mchale should've won it, but you won't argue the selection of pierce as the 6th man of the year? you make no sense
Quote:
explain to us how that isn't your opinion and is actually fact
it is my opinion, but my opinion is also fact
Quote:
12 guys who were more deservin than a 6th man who avged 23 ppg?
also only played 59 games
Quote:
yeh, because whoever scores the most points is the best player in the nba ewing lead his team to the worst record in the nba, and don't mention stats, because they are irrelevant when you have the worst team in the league. great defense? only slightly better than malone's (the real rookie of the year)
Quote:
Your post is pointless.

Quote:
I'm looking for an agenda but I can't find it. You're telling me there were 12 more deserving 6moy candidates than Ricky Pierce, who is regarded as one of the best sixth men of all time and averaged 23ppg that year? Can you list them, their teams, their records and their stats for further review?
are you blind? i've already mentioned the players more deserving
Quote:
To me this looks like a close call that you're stretching into some kind of big deal.
thats because you are stupid
Quote:
If I were you I'd edit the title. This appears to me one of the closest calls in history
say no more
Quote:
and if there were really 12 other guys as good as these 2, better even, then I think that fact deserves a discussion post. But with this, you're just looking for attention.
yes i'm looking for attention . i really don't care about how much attention i get on a message board. a boy posting 25 times a day on a message board is someone who wants attention
Quote:
you've just outlined the reasons why you shouldn't be posting in a thread which is discussing something you clearly know nothing about
Quote:
Co-sign you aren't proving how only 28% of 6th man awards are given to the wrong person
i didn't say 28% of 6th man awards are given to the wrong person, i said 28% of 6th man awards are given to the right person, try reading next time.
Quote:
and you act like Pierce and Mchale had totally different stats they are pretty close
no, they are not close
Quote:
and no way there are 12 more players better. If there are than list them and their stats
i didn't say there was 12 more players better, i said there was 12 players more deserving of the award and i already listed them, try reading next time
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: