Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-13-2007, 08:16 PM   #1
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat cool
Default Exporing the female psyche: Preference for older guys?

so I was talking to my girlfriend today, and then conversing with my coworkers, and then talking to other girls I know... something I always wondered is why women prefer older men.

it could be a facetious thing, but I did not want to think all women are just superficial. that would be a very unfair and grossly inaccurate assumption.

so I discuss and apparently this is the general answer I received:

"older guys have more experience, not necessarily their sexual experience, but rather how to handle a relationship and prevent little problems from going wrong, or how to handle the capricious tendencies the woman tends to develop all of a sudden."

for instance, the girl could be feeling depressed about something at work but refuses to talk about it at first, just being all moody. the inexperienced guy will think it is his fault and try hard to cheer her up with material goods when all she wants is for him to guess what is going on and console her. the experienced man will find a way to cajole this information out of her without being forceful and then gently remind her how great she is, etc...

fair argument and perhaps the older guy does know all of the traits of how women act at times and are more readily able to deal with it smoothly.

but this explanation is a post hoc fallacy:

if the older guy were so good at handling his girlfriend, why would he be in the position to get a new girlfriend (as sought by the initial woman saying she wants an older guy because of this)?

this necessitates two conclusions:

1) women simply want a guy to always be able to understand her, even if it means he has to jump through hoops and guess what her problems are in a game of Russian roulette (the bad outcome being the girl gets mad at the guy for a night and doesn't return his calls)

2) women are simply mysterious beings and men are best off not trying to explore their inner sanctum too vigorously.

now this isn't a scientific study.... so yeah... just thought I'd share a few thoughts.

feel free to constructively correct any misconceptions I have or anything you feel is wrong... also feel free to insult me and go reaching and call me a sexist. if the latter is the case, then I had no idea trying to be sensitive and understanding the female psyche is a sexist act.
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 08:29 PM   #2
nash4eva!gosuns
Back!

nash4eva!gosuns is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternash4eva!gosuns is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternash4eva!gosuns is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternash4eva!gosuns is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternash4eva!gosuns is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternash4eva!gosuns is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternash4eva!gosuns is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternash4eva!gosuns is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Exporing the female psyche: Preference for older guys?

i agree with all the reasons you stated here and would like to add that i believe the reason that the "older guy" is available is because his girl left him for an "older guy"

plus they all have their flaws, no?
nash4eva!gosuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 08:30 PM   #3
Kiddlovesnets
NBA Superstar

Kiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation here

Girls prefer older guys, really?
If so, while girls at my age tend to go out with dudes around 30 years old, I think it's best for me to hang out with 12 or 13year-old girls.

Last edited by Kiddlovesnets : 07-13-2007 at 08:33 PM.
Kiddlovesnets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 08:34 PM   #4
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by nash4eva!gosuns
i agree with all the reasons you stated here and would like to add that i believe the reason that the "older guy" is available is because his girl left him for an "older guy"

plus they all have their flaws, no?

good point. as always matters of the heart are not so cut and dry.

though quite a few of the females I spoke to said: "with wisdom comes age."

yes in that order, not the other way around.

if that were added on, then their whole explanation is illogical. but without it, then yes it all seems valid.

you are one of the ISH resident females right?

and for KiddLovesNets:

12 and 13 year olds are probably still enamored with the gangster image. but once they hit 15 or 16, then girls probably will prefer the college guy if he is available for similar reasons as I postulated above.

i mean I see it all the time. there was this half Latina/half Flipina chick I worked with at McDonalds. only 15 at the time I met her but she was a knockout. could pass for 18+ anyday of the week. guys everywhere were lining up for her, literally, ordering a McChicken and then asking her out. jailbait relationships happen ALL the time, it's just that no one blows the whistle on em because

1) no one knows
2) those who do know believe in love
Old 07-13-2007, 09:06 PM   #5
nash4eva!gosuns
Back!

nash4eva!gosuns is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternash4eva!gosuns is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternash4eva!gosuns is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternash4eva!gosuns is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternash4eva!gosuns is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternash4eva!gosuns is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternash4eva!gosuns is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternash4eva!gosuns is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCDrivesAPorscheToWork

you are one of the ISH resident females right?

yep
Old 07-13-2007, 09:52 PM   #6
thenextgreatbigman
Banned

thenextgreatbigman has an OK reputation so far

because men like younger females.
older guys teach the younger girls and the younger guys trying to get with that girl learn from her and from the things she wants.
thenextgreatbigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 10:12 PM   #7
B-Low
The Love B-Low

B-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

My ex and the girl I'm talking to now are both 3 years older. Not a huge gap but they're both going for younger when they could definitely go older. It's not about age its about maturity
B-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 02:43 AM   #8
reppy
Apparently likes anime

reppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation here

Women like security. They feel more secure with a guy that is older and has his things together.
reppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 08:48 AM   #9
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenextgreatbigman
because men like younger females.
older guys teach the younger girls and the younger guys trying to get with that girl learn from her and from the things she wants.

circular logic there.
Old 07-14-2007, 08:49 AM   #10
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppy
Women like security. They feel more secure with a guy that is older and has his things together.

of course, but im sure they would never admit to that for fear that they would seem like all they care about is money.

just like how many women SAY on the outside they want a nice guy just for other people to hear, but deep down they want the hard to tame wild man
Old 07-14-2007, 09:06 AM   #11
SJellen
I hit open 5-footers

SJellen has an OK reputation so far

SJellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 09:20 AM   #12
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

those are one dollar bills.

which means she sells herself cheap.
Old 07-14-2007, 10:29 AM   #13
wally_world
M0derator

wally_world has decent reputationwally_world has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJellen

lol... sadly that is the main reason///
wally_world is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 12:11 PM   #14
nash4eva!gosuns
Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally_world
lol... sadly that is the main reason///

not really, no although if you're rich, it's definitely nice
Old 07-14-2007, 12:13 PM   #15
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

women like guys with money is nearly akin to guys saying they like girls with big boobs and big ass. sure it's nice, but not every guy is going to get it.

and there are so many rich guys out there.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: