Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 07-14-2007, 02:00 AM   #31
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

Default Re: Zach Randolph + Eddy Curry is dumb and here's why.

Quote:
Portland got swindled in this deal (I think they could have done better). Even renowned Knicks-h@ter Bill Simmons said it was a good trade.
Bill Simmons can say whatever he wants. The fact is that the Knicks still won't be a very good team. They haven't even come close to filling one of their many, many holes. They'll be in the same boat they've been in since Charlie Ward was their starter. Mediocre. Except it will cost them a cool 170 million in player salaries alone over the next 2 years to do it. (And that isn't counting who they draft next year or sign this offseason.)

You certainly have a right to be optimistic. Maybe this will be the final missing piece. Maybe Randolph and Curry will be the next Hakeem and Sampson, terrorize the league and bring pride and bling to New York where it belongs.

But, more than likely, the Knicks will win 38 games and blame absolutely everything, from injuries to the alignments of the heavenly bodies, other than their own lack of chemistry and heart, and the fans will blame everyone other than Isiah Thomas. More than likely, Curry and Randolph won't get along and almost certainly, they will hold each other back from maximizing the other's potential on the court.

Let me tell you something about Portland's GM.

When I saw this deal, I was WTF from Portland's perspective too. But then I thought about it some more and I realized: do you really think Kevin Pritchard, who is known leaguewide for being the most thorough GM in the league, who checks and rechecks over all his options and then runs them through a system of statistical analysis that has helped make this franchise the very most promising franchise in the entire league, got swindled? Did this GM, who has not made one bad decision, who was responsible for bringing in Brandon Roy, Greg Oden, Sergio Rodriguez, Lamarcus Aldridge and Jarrett Jack, got duped?

I think that Isiah Thomas was the only GM stupid enough to take Zach Randolph. I think Kevin Pritchard realized this and got whatever he could out of Isiah Thomas. I think every time Isiah Thomas has gone after a big name and given up peanuts for it, he has come out of the deal looking like the world's biggest moron. I think this will be the case again. Go ahead and disagree. But you have nothing, and I mean nothing, to back it up.
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 02:05 AM   #32
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

Quote:
Zach is more of a mid-range shooter to begin with and plays more of the high post,
Many, many people on here say this with this tone of unquestionable authority.

None of them, you might notice, are Portland fans.

Portland fans seem to be the only people that realize that Zach Randolph is a post player, and he attacks the block harder than almost anybody in the NBA, and that he is not Dirk Nowitzki, and that his effectiveness will suffer if he is forced to play like a pansy to make room for everyone else on New York's roster to have their turn with the rock.

He is no Eddy Curry. Curry is about as pure as post scorers come, mostly because he's incapable of anything else. I am not disputing that Randolph is more outside-oriented than Curry but both players are in their natural state with the ball in their hands at about the same spot on the court. Randolph's added ability to play in the midrange simply means that he'll be asked to do this as opposed to posting up.
Old 07-14-2007, 02:08 AM   #33
knicks15
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeWiz15

I think that Isiah Thomas was the only GM stupid enough to take Zach Randolph.

dont agree at all. i think there was a market for him, there were people talkin about RJ for him, etc. id rather pay randolph 60 for the next 4 yrs than pay sum1 who isnt on my roster 30mill for nothing. the guy put up 23, 10, in a league of 2nd n 3rd chances, sum1 would be willing to bite
knicks15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 02:12 AM   #34
nottheone
I hit open layups

everybodys focusing on randolph the black hole, randolph the criminal, randolph the overpaid bum, which is all well and good, but dont forget the guy doesnt exactly have knees o' steel either. hes one torn ligament away from being a shell of himself for the rest of his career (insert fat joke here).
nottheone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 02:21 AM   #35
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

Quote:
My main beef with a lot of people knocking this trade is this: If you were Isiah, and someone offered Zach Randolph and two expiring contracts, who are both at least decent players, for Frye and Steve Francis, would you take it?
No. I wouldn't.

If I were Isiah Thomas I'd be doing my job and going after JERMAINE O'NEAL. Who IS a perfect fit for this team. Who WOULD make them a playoff team.

If I were Isiah Thomas and I couldn't get a player better than Zach Randolph I would sit there the whole offseason and not make any moves so that I could have some respect around the league and not be regarded as the guy who everyone approaches to unload their overpaid players with bad attitudes. I would send a team of scouts overseas to find some foreign prospects. I would trade for draft picks, because drafting is my greatest strength. I would unload as many bad contracts as possible. I'd give the people of New York what they want: a competitive basketball team that they're not constantly ashamed of.

But I'm not Isiah Thomas.
Old 07-14-2007, 02:23 AM   #36
Legendofthe718
Danze Manatee

i think they would be a good fit with the knicks dey have good defense and randolph gives them range ..
Legendofthe718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 03:39 AM   #37
Y2Gezee
Troll spotting pro

Yeah I was saying right after the move that its good that they got such a nice talent in Randolph. However, pretty much he and Eddy are redundant. If either could defend a lick, then maybe keep them together.

But Randolph is the better player. He's not as strong on the block as Eddy, but he's got great touch and can score very well from there and has a good jumpshot. But what really makes him better is the fact that he can rebound and Eddy is only decent at best.

And since Eddy is the only player from them that people want, it makes sense to trade him to fill their needs of a good proven big that can defend, and maybe a good defensive 3pt threat. Not like Zach is old or anything.

Hell, even trade Zach if you can get another big that can consistent rebound well and defend.
Y2Gezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 04:42 AM   #38
Sharas
Great college starter

if ONE of them actually knew how to pass, it would be great. but, alas, that's not the case. less they play together, better for the knicks.

and yes, i'd also pull trigger for that deal anytime if i had an owner who doesn't care how much he'll spend. it's not like randolph won't be better than channing frye even in worst case. seeing what knicks gave up, only downgrade to this is financial. and that seems to be no problem with james dolan.
Sharas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 05:01 AM   #39
loot
H.U.M.A.N. World

theyll put randolph at the sf position and lee at pf. zach can shoot the 3~!!!!!!
loot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 08:38 AM   #40
Blue&Orange
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
When it first came to me, the crux of this post was going to be
Show how ignorant you are?
Quote:
play the same way,
I'm sorry how many Blazers and Knicks games have you seen, again?
Quote:
occupy the same space on the floor
Curry is a Center and Randolph is a PF, i guess you didn't watch enough.
Quote:
and need the ball in their hands to do anything
Humm, isn't basketball played with the hands?
Quote:
are on the same team and are expected to mesh,
Every player in the same team is expected to mesh, Sherlock.
Quote:
that it is inherently impossible and the reputations of both players and the team could be irreversibly ruined.
Off-course, they are Knicks players, what else could happen...
Quote:
And proof of this can be found at the guard spots of this exact same team last year.
Where's the proof? Marbury overall played the best basketball of his carrer in the second part of the season, and Francis is being wanted by a lot of teams despite a crappy season.
Quote:
What does that give you? What ability has either Zach Randolph or Eddy Curry ever shown to suggest that they are winning players that will carry glory with them wherever they go?
Same thing can be told about Garnett for example.
Quote:
For all their numbers (20/7 and 24/10 I believe) their impact on the game starts and stops at those numbers.
44 points and 17 rebounbs is a nice impact even if you were true and they didn't impact in other ways.
Quote:
Because neither player can control the game from the post.
You should have told to the teams that double and triple Curry, to not worry that he couldn't control the post.
Is a shame that not everybody is so smart like you.
Quote:
Both can score from there rather well but neither can control the game. Neither can direct an offense.
Again how many Blazers\Knicks games have you seen? omg... what a dumbass
Quote:
Didn't Eddy Curry have like a 1:13 a/TO ratio last season? Players such as these historically do not win.
Well historically, it's teams that win, not players...
Quote:
Now let's assume no disasters happen and this duo works out as best as it possibly can.
Yes it would be a disaster for you crappy franchise wouldn't be?
Quote:
Logically, the best case scenario turns Zach Randolph into almost a full-time midrange jumpshooter offensively. And that brings me to the final reason this trade is stupid: in the *best case scenario*, a player's talents are wasted.
You do know that D.Lee has no midrange game, and all his points came in the paint when Curry was there, don't you?
And the main criticism that Frye got from Knicks fans was that he din't post... i'm starting to feel sorry for you.
Quote:
You obviously can't have 2 guys posting up on the block with the ball simultaneously.
You're so smart.
Quote:
One guy is going to have to step out and one guy is going to have to occupy the block and only one of these players can step out and that's Randolph.
It's been said over and over that Curry has been working in his jumper and he even shot a couple at the end of the season.
Quote:
Also consider: what about Quentin Richardson? He, too, is best when he is posting up.
omg, just stfu. Please don't ever again try too make a inteligent post, when you're ignorance about what you're talking about it's this deep.
Quote:
Then you've got Stephon Marbury, who is best when he's penetrating and has the ball in his hands. Where will there be room?
You got a condition... so it's safe to say there's no way Lebron and Wade can penetrade the Knicks D, there's no room...
Quote:
Notice not once in this entire post did I mention defense. Or problems of attitude, weight, and discipline.
So all the sudden Curry got discipline problems
Quote:
That's how stupid this pairing of identical twins in the post is. I don't even need to mention the most glaring problem to cut it to pieces.
Not only you're ignorant, you're delusional.
Quote:
If the Knicks think Randolph + Curry will take them past the first round, yes, even in the Least, I've got bad news.
Well 2 against 5, that's gonna be a problem.
Quote:
Doesn't it occur to Isiah Thomas as peculiar that other GMs are so willing to give up big names with monster numbers for pennies on the dollar? Doesn't he ever step back and realize he's getting duped at every turn?
Don't even occur to your dead brain that Portland needs money for Aldridge, Roy and Oden extentions? That's why they have taken Francis contract, sherlock.

I'm not even going to read the rest of this crappy thread, my head hurts already.

Last edited by Blue&Orange : 07-14-2007 at 08:43 AM.
Blue&Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 09:30 AM   #41
wally_world
M0derator

because they are both fat...
wally_world is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 09:31 AM   #42
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
No. I wouldn't.

If I were Isiah Thomas I'd be doing my job and going after JERMAINE O'NEAL. Who IS a perfect fit for this team. Who WOULD make them a playoff team....

But I'm not Isiah Thomas.
Which is why you think its just as easy as making a deal for Jermaine O'neal. Go look up past dealings between Larry Bird, who runs the Pacers, and Thomas and see if you think they would be willing to sit and work something out helping each other.

The offense is not what the Knicks are concerned about. Zach Randolph is effective from both the high and low post. With Eddy Curry currently developing a short jumper the Knicks can incorparate a high/low attack.

The concerns are all on the other side of the court. Will Eddy become a better help defender? Will Quentin continue to show flashes of being a good perimeter defender? Will Renaldo Balkman improve defensively into a total defender or will he still be better at just pressuring scorers?
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 02:06 PM   #43
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

Blue&Orange if you wish to be taken seriously again by most serious posters here I reccommend going to Edit - Go Advanced - Delete Post. ASAP.

Quote:
Which is why you think its just as easy as making a deal for Jermaine O'neal. Go look up past dealings between Larry Bird, who runs the Pacers, and Thomas and see if you think they would be willing to sit and work something out helping each other.
That's a good point.
Old 07-14-2007, 02:09 PM   #44
Mr_Basketball#1
McCants is Available!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Isiah believes he has the modern version of Tim Duncan and David Robinson.

but don't tell him that... this at least gives the Nets at least 3 free wins each season

I like the idea of Curry and Randolph thats why i hope it works...:
Mr_Basketball#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 02:10 PM   #45
nottheone
I hit open layups

that post by blue and orange was simply... awful. i want that minute of my life back.
nottheone is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: