Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-13-2007, 11:37 PM   #1
cdot11
Peace.

Default man vs wild

anyone watch this show? its on the discovery channel right now.
cdot11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 11:42 PM   #2
Randy
NBA sixth man of the year

Default Re: man vs wild

This shows pzzownzz Survivorman, I don't care what anyone says. Bear actually tells us what he is doing and why; the dude knows everything about everything.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 11:46 PM   #3
cdot11
Peace.

one of the better shows on tv these days.
cdot11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 11:57 PM   #4
Randy

The African episode is my favorite followed by Moab, Utah. I go mountain biking a lot so I actually try to remember everything he says just in case.
Old 07-14-2007, 02:13 AM   #5
iggy_needs_help
I brick open layups

Bear is a stud!!!
iggy_needs_help is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 06:12 AM   #6
Admiral
Good High School Starter

i <3 bear...this guy is hilarious i always wait for the part of the show when he goes "now, hundreds of people die every year from *insert thing they die from* so i'm gonna go ahead and DO it to show you how not to die!" *does thing hundreds of people have died from* haha love it...
Admiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 06:35 AM   #7
Cannonball
Lets GO PENS!

I like the one that goes without the camera crew. Is it this guy?
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 02:30 PM   #8
AppleNader
Cornell Basketball=#1

no, that's Les Stroud of Survivorman, who doesn't use the benefit of a camera crew and its etra survival gear. He also does not edit or stage many of his exploits, nor does he deliberately try to do stupid sh&t to show-off....as opposed to somebody else we all know...
AppleNader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 02:37 PM   #9
Randy

Survivorman = boring

Man vs Wild = entertaining and practical
Old 07-14-2007, 02:44 PM   #10
AppleNader
Cornell Basketball=#1

actually, man vs. wild tends to do stupid f&cking exaggerated sh&t that is anything but practical. If you actually watched Bear, you will notice several things:

1. He travels with a camera crew that provides him with assistance or supplies.

2. He deliberately exaggerates the difficulty of traversing natural obstacles. In one episode, this dumbass climbed up the rocks near a waterfall when there was clearly a f-ing dirt path right next to it. Entertaining? maybe. Stupid? definately.

3. He stages many aspects of his show. I remember one episode where he was parachuting down, and the f&cking camera man was AT THE BOTTOM filming him coming down. Now seriously, how the hell does the camera man know precisely where Bear is going to be landing.

4. Doing what Bear does on his show will get a person killed in real life. Bear exaggerates, and deliberately does dangerous stuff for the sake of entertainment. Notice I never questioned his credentials-he is ex-SAS that probably does know real techniques, but his show is deliberate and over the top. Everybody, including him, knows this. Les Stroud puts himself into more dangerous and more realistic scenarios.
AppleNader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 02:50 PM   #11
Randy

I have noticed the over exaggerated climbs as well, but I think it's more a guide for if you're in a situation where climbing a steep wall is your only option. I'm not taking anything away from Les, I just think his show is incredibly boring.

I do think a lot of Bear's advice is very practical. I bike ride in the Rocky Mountains and have ridden in Moab as well, so those two episodes were very relevant to me. If I were to get lost somehow, I'm sure some of the things I've learned from Bear would be very useful.
Old 07-14-2007, 03:21 PM   #12
dudeguykid
High school junior varsity star

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleNader
actually, man vs. wild tends to do stupid f&cking exaggerated sh&t that is anything but practical. If you actually watched Bear, you will notice several things:

2. He deliberately exaggerates the difficulty of traversing natural obstacles. In one episode, this dumbass climbed up the rocks near a waterfall when there was clearly a f-ing dirt path right next to it. Entertaining? definitely. Stupid? maybe.
fixed

3. He stages many aspects of his show. I remember one episode where he was parachuting down, and the f&cking camera man was AT THE BOTTOM filming him coming down. Now seriously, how the hell does the camera man know precisely where Bear is going to be landing.

4. Doing what Bear does on his show will get a person killed in real life. Bear exaggerates, and deliberately does dangerous stuff for the sake of entertainment. Notice I never questioned his credentials-he is ex-SAS that probably does know real techniques, but his show is deliberate and over the top. Everybody, including him, knows this. Les Stroud puts himself into more dangerous and more realistic scenarios.

Its a highly entertaining show and whilst it is over the top and some of the things he does may get an unexpereienced person attempting them killed, alot of the things he does/says would be helpful to people who were in a similar situation.
dudeguykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 03:37 AM   #13
Jackass18
The Iron Price

I love the show, as well.

Quote:
the dude knows everything about everything.

Actually, he doesn't. He talks to survival experts before he goes out into the wilderness.

Quote:

No. The crew can only assist if Bear gets into a very serious situation.

Quote:
2. He deliberately exaggerates the difficulty of traversing natural obstacles. In one episode, this dumbass climbed up the rocks near a waterfall when there was clearly a f-ing dirt path right next to it. Entertaining? maybe. Stupid? definately.

No, you don't get the point of the show. Whenever he's doing something like that he states something like "as a last resort', 'if your only option is', and such. He never said to take the more dangerous route in any episode. He shows you what to do if you have to take the really dangerous route.

Quote:

It's not really staged. Some of the stuff from the pilot episode was. How would they even stage some of the stuff that he does? Fake sharks? Fake freezing water? Fake quicksand? Fake crocodiles? Fake rapids?

Quote:
4. Doing what Bear does on his show will get a person killed in real life.

The stuff that he does that could get a person killed in real life are situations where he's showing an option if there's no other options left. Have you missed every time when he says something like: 'Last year a hiker/hikers died in a situation just like this, but here's what you could do if you ever find yourself in this situation'? Those situations are basically 'life-or-death situations', so what's your point? A person might might die in a life-or-death situation? Well, duh...

Quote:
Les Stroud puts himself into more dangerous and more realistic scenarios.

He doesn't put himself into more dangerous situations or anywhere close to it. Hell, he usually brings food along with him. His situations might be more realistic, but he's also not really showing that many different situations like Bear does. MVW and Survivorman are different shows.

Last edited by Jackass18 : 07-15-2007 at 03:41 AM.
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 04:16 AM   #14
nashforprez
Local High School Star

a truly wonderful show
nashforprez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 05:35 AM   #15
Lebron23
Most Valuable Player

UMagaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa