Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Chicago Bulls Forum

Chicago Bulls Forum Chicago Bulls message board - chicago bulls fan forum

Old 07-15-2007, 06:23 PM   #16
kshutts1
Good college starter

kshutts1 is a pretty well-respected posterkshutts1 is a pretty well-respected posterkshutts1 is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Bulls sign Joe Smith

Who decided Joe Smith can score 15 points a night? Actually.. I just decided that I'm 8 feet tall and can put up 30 a night, so maybe the Bulls should sign me?

But seriously.. Magloire would be better. Unlike Joe Smith, he is a proven player in the past, even an ALL STAR caliber player. Magloire is a double double waiting to happen.. Joe Smith is a huge draft bust that has reinvented himself lately, but only for the past 2 years. Yes, the frontcourt this year should be better, as Joe Smith is a clear upgrade over either Sweetney or Allen, but I would have rather seen Magloire.
kshutts1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 06:28 PM   #17
nbafreak
Can barely lace up my sneakers

nbafreak has an OK reputation so far

I think Maglore is better also but I don't think he is in our price range. I also don't know if he is a Skiles type of player attitude wise. Remember that BG and Deng will be up for extensions and we need the cap space to resign those 2.
nbafreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 07:34 PM   #18
KaptnKirk12
High School Varsity 12th Man

KaptnKirk12 has an OK reputation so far

I like the pickup. We needed another big man to fill in for what PJ did for us, just hopefully Smith can put in a few more buckets and then Tyrus can come off the bench and be a smarter player. I see the team being more consistant than last year with their new additions.
KaptnKirk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 11:47 PM   #19
Bulls_Fan20
Local High School Star

Bulls_Fan20 has decent reputationBulls_Fan20 has decent reputation
Post Re: Bulls sign Joe Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshutts1
Who decided Joe Smith can score 15 points a night? Actually.. I just decided that I'm 8 feet tall and can put up 30 a night, so maybe the Bulls should sign me?

But seriously.. Magloire would be better. Unlike Joe Smith, he is a proven player in the past, even an ALL STAR caliber player. Magloire is a double double waiting to happen.. Joe Smith is a huge draft bust that has reinvented himself lately, but only for the past 2 years. Yes, the frontcourt this year should be better, as Joe Smith is a clear upgrade over either Sweetney or Allen, but I would have rather seen Magloire.

Nobody expects Smith to be the answer for our post game, but nobody out there, including Magloire, is the answer either. How about we do a little comparison?

Joe Smith:
Career stats - 12.1 points, 7 rebounds, 1.1 assists
Best season - 18.7 points, 8.5 rebounds, 1.6 assists (2nd year in league)
Double-digit point seasons: 9
Double-digit rebound seasons: 0

Jamaal Magloire:
Career stats - 9 points, 7.5 rebounds, 0.7 assists
Best season - 13.7 points, 10.3 rebounds, 1.1 assists (4th year in league)
Double-digit point seasons: 3
Double-digit rebound seasons: 1

From these stats, it doesn't really seem like Magloire can be a primary post option. When the Bucks traded for him two years ago, they expected him to be their post savior coming off an All-Star year. Now he is coming off a dismal year, and you expect him to play better than he ever has.

You can't really say that Smith is a draft bust. Yes, he was the #1 overall pick in the draft, but there were only three other players in the top 20 that have had memorable careers in the NBA: KG, Sheed, and Jerry Stackhouse. He got traded in his third season, right after his career best season, and got injured the year after that. Who knows how good he could have been? In fact, his numbers only dropped when he got fewer minutes. When he played consistently, he put up great numbers, and may have made an All-Star team. I am much happier with Smith than Magloire.

P.S. Magloire got a 1-year contract for $4 million and Smith's is a 2-year for about $5.3 million, so Magloire is the cheaper one.
Bulls_Fan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 12:13 AM   #20
trig
Decent college freshman

trig has decent reputationtrig has decent reputation

The prob w/ Magloire is he wants a lot of playing time and disrupts chemistry when not given pt. he is good but not as good as he thinks he is.

but please dont bash pax after magloire puts up good numbers. Im almost sure he will w/ Jkidd as his pg. It doesnt mean he put up the same numbers if he signed w/ bulls. Jkidd makes any decent big man look like an allstar
trig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 04:22 PM   #21
kshutts1
Good college starter

kshutts1 is a pretty well-respected posterkshutts1 is a pretty well-respected posterkshutts1 is a pretty well-respected poster

I'll admit that when you compared the numbers, Joe Smith had performed better than I thought.

However, a few things that I don't care to look up, but that instantly popped into my head: What type of playing time did each get in their best season? Comparable? Or did Smith get 4, 5, 10 more mins per game? Also, who has been more durable? And lastly, what about defensive prowess?

I always said that Magloire is the best FA fit for our team because he rebounds and plays defense (which the Bulls love) while he is also able to score in the post. Perhaps Smith can score in the post just as well, but he can't block shots nearly as well, nor can he rebound as well. That was my thinking between the two, and comparing the numbers didn't change my stance on Smith defensively, only offensively: I now realize that he's just as good as Magloire in the post, perhaps even slightly better.

Oh yeah... Magloire is also younger.. I believe he's only 28 or 29. And his dismal season is because of better post options ahead of him in Portland, as well as their "youth movement" with Aldridge (who I still wish we hadn't traded, but that's a whole other post).

Thanks again for the numbers comparison, it helped a lot. I still lean towards Magloire, but if it was 80/20 before, now it's more like 65/35 and I'm happier with Joe Smith than I was before.
kshutts1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 05:04 PM   #22
ILLEFEX
Serious playground baller

ILLEFEX has an OK reputation so far

i actually like the signing myself.........even tho i was rooting more for magloire to come to chicago..........i like magloire as a player, itz just that i don't know if he will fit in well with chicago especially with ben wallace as the main guy down low, with tyrus thomas emerging as the starting pf, and a top ten picked rookie.........magloire is gonna be whining and *****in if he's not getting his minutes just like he was *****in in portland.......for us, magloire stands out more because he was an all-star a couple years back and he can score down low..........but, as far as joe smith........he knows exactly what his role is........he's been bouncing around too many times in the league with diff teams.........he knows he didn't live up to the league's expectations as the #1 pick..........he can scores when given a chance..........he keeps a low profile and you won't hear any *****in and whining.........

who would you rather have:

wallace - wallace
thomas - thomas
noah - pj brown
smith - sweetney
gray(maybe)- allen
ILLEFEX is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: