Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-15-2007, 01:19 AM   #1
Rebel INS
I hit open 5-footers

Rebel INS has decent reputation
Default Looking for a new dog(American Staffordshire)

i am currently researching the American Staffordshire terrier and have some questions for those who have experience with this breed.

1) Is this a dog that a new inexperienced owner can handle assuming i follow obedience school and early socialization practices?

2) With a stable puppyhood and childhood, are they going to be prone to acts of agression when they are older? or are they pretty much set as loyal companions?

I know the media gives these dogs a bad rep but i have seen the pit bull type dogs on dog whisperer and i really think they could be a dog for me.
Rebel INS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 02:58 AM   #2
El Kabong
Where Eagles Dare

El Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Looking for a new dog(American Staffordshire)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel INS
i am currently researching the American Staffordshire terrier and have some questions for those who have experience with this breed.

1) Is this a dog that a new inexperienced owner can handle assuming i follow obedience school and early socialization practices?

2) With a stable puppyhood and childhood, are they going to be prone to acts of agression when they are older? or are they pretty much set as loyal companions?

I know the media gives these dogs a bad rep but i have seen the pit bull type dogs on dog whisperer and i really think they could be a dog for me.
Go to a breeder. You'll be able to see the dogs and they'll give you a handle on what they are like. They'll be able to tell you everything you need to know.
El Kabong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 04:33 AM   #3
mhsbasketball
lol: smh:

mhsbasketball has decent reputation

wow what a coicindence, 2 dog related threads minutes apart
mhsbasketball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 11:15 AM   #4
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I actually have a Pit. My experiences may not be the same for everyone, because I got here when she was extremely young. Her mother hung herself trying to jump a fence while she was chained in her yard. It was not far from a liquor store I worked at in my youth, and when the guy came in trying to sell the puppies, I took one. She was too young to be seperated at the time, but I took her anyway.

My experience is that these dogs are extremely loyal. They are pack animals, even to a greater degree than most dogs. And if you care for them, you become their pack. This makes them easy to train, because they truly do want to please. They're not terribly bright animals, so don't think they're going to be doing a lot of tricks. But as for the basics, they're pretty easy to handle. They're also very territorial. I live on the corner of a pretty busy road, and have lost many dogs in it over the years, but my pit will not leave the yard. However she will charge and bark at people going by the yard, so she can't just be left out, as my lab can. Because they're so territorial, they don't like people in their area. So if you have the type of house people come over to a lot, I wouldn't suggest getting one. They don't like company, and they view most people who enter their territory as a threat. Off of their property, they could care less about other people or animals.

They're very athletic, are high energy, and require a lot of excercise, so if your not prepared to walk them, throw the ball to them for half an hour a day, or something else, don't get one. Mine likes to hang from low hanging bush branches, and I've hung a bike tire to a tree limb that she'll dangle from for 10 minutes at a clip. I occasionally take her to a park not far from where I live where I can let her loose a little when no ones around. The last time we drove by, she got so excited she jumped out the car window while it was moving. So they are a handfull, but they're not the savage killers they're made out to be.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 12:13 PM   #5
Rebel INS
I hit open 5-footers

Rebel INS has decent reputation

Nice post thorp.

So is it possible for you to take your pit bull to the park for it to socialize with other dogs? That is pretty important to me. I suppose pit bulls are fine with other dogs on there territory if they are raised with it since they were a puppy, am i right?
Rebel INS is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: