Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-16-2007, 05:40 AM   #1
Run&Gun=Fun
128 time NBA All Star

Default Tour De France

Does anybody watch this?

I dont mind watching it...its pretty amazing they can ride for five hours straight at 45km/hr.

The peleton almost always gobbles up the early breakaway group, but riders still choose to break early

I dont really understand the teams ....It seems they have 6-7 riders whom all help out 1 guy...but if said riders are good enough to stay in front of him most of the way why cant they just ride their own race.

For example last night Thomas Klooden was racing up a mountain and his teammate Alexander Vinichorov, one of the tournament favourites, was riding in his slipstream...So basically Klooden works his arse off to give Vinichorov a free ride up the mountain.

Eventually Vinichorov falls off, Klooden leaves him behind but his team tells him to wait for him.

Why cant Klooden Race for himself in that situation?

Does anyone know cycling strategy?
Run&Gun=Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 06:44 AM   #2
LJJ
Extra Cheese

Default Re: Tour De France

I watch it. At least the important stages.

Astana just really messed up yesterday.

Vinokourov is the team leader but he got injured (he has 30 stiches in his knees), so they protect him and hope he will get better in time. They kept Kloden there to help him and let Kashechkin go with the other contenders. It should have been the other way around, because Kloden is a legit contender like Vino and Kashechkin isn't.

But they are a team from Kazachstan, so they obviously favor Vino and Kashechkin over Kloden.

The team strategy is basically this:
Most teams have a team leader who either has a change to win stages in the sprint, or do well in the overall ranking. The rest of the team is usually there to help the leader achieve this. If a rider can ride in the slipstream of his teammates and is kept from the wind, he uses less energy and can achieve a better result.
The reason some helpers can stay with their leaders for so long is because they don't have to worry about their finishing time. They just have to go all out to help their leader and then arrive within the time limit.
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 07:10 AM   #3
Run&Gun=Fun
128 time NBA All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJJ
I watch it. At least the important stages.

Astana just really messed up yesterday.

Vinokourov is the team leader but he got injured (he has 30 stiches in his knees), so they protect him and hope he will get better in time. They kept Kloden there to help him and let Kashechkin go with the other contenders. It should have been the other way around, because Kloden is a legit contender like Vino and Kashechkin isn't.

But they are a team from Kazachstan, so they obviously favor Vino and Kashechkin over Kloden.

The team strategy is basically this:
Most teams have a team leader who either has a change to win stages in the sprint, or do well in the overall ranking. The rest of the team is usually there to help the leader achieve this. If a rider can ride in the slipstream of his teammates and is kept from the wind, he uses less energy and can achieve a better result.
The reason some helpers can stay with their leaders for so long is because they don't have to worry about their finishing time. They just have to go all out to help their leader and then arrive within the time limit.

Ok thanks, i misspelled all the names.

Yesterdays finish was great.... The 7 riders in the group behind Rasmussen had to work together but they all kept trying to break away only to be caught, in the end the French rider, Moreau i think, got screwed because noone would help him..it slowed them all down and the peleton just about gobbled them up.

The peleton will gobble you up is my new favourite saying.
Run&Gun=Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 10:31 AM   #4
LJJ
Extra Cheese

I like it because it's such a tough sport.
Never mind all the doping stories, you have to be a real man ride 20 kms up a mountain on a bicycle regardless. And then that 5 times in a row. And then the same thing the next day.

It just amazes me.

And if you make a mistake you get hurt bad. O'grady crashed yesterday, ended up with had 5 broken ribs, broken collarbone, broken shoulder, punctured lung.
That's no twisted ankle.
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: