Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 07-16-2007, 10:00 PM   #1
thenextgreatbigman
Banned

thenextgreatbigman has an OK reputation so far
Default What's better to have, 2 superstars or 4 good players?

Tmac and Yao or caron butler, david west, gerald wallace and andre miller?
Considering that you have the same supporting cast.

Last edited by thenextgreatbigman : 07-16-2007 at 10:03 PM.
thenextgreatbigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 10:02 PM   #2
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

i seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Wahts better to have, 2 superstars or 4 good players?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenextgreatbigman
Considering that you have the same supporting cast.

2 superstars are all you need.

Everyone always says the Pistons team is the only team to win it all without a star.
i seen hippos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 10:02 PM   #3
Agent_Zero
Great college starter

Agent_Zero is considered somewhat coolAgent_Zero is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Wahts better to have, 2 superstars or 4 good players?

t-mac and yao.
Agent_Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 10:04 PM   #4
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

mlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: What's better to have, 2 superstars or 4 good players?

superstars win championships. It's been proven throughout history.
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 10:04 PM   #5
Targus™
Good college starter

Targus™ has an OK reputation so far

lol u picked some crappy "good players", i mean they're good but you could have made it fair at least.
Targus™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 10:07 PM   #6
qwerty
(o_0)

qwerty has decent reputationqwerty has decent reputation

T-Mac and Yao easy.
qwerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 10:07 PM   #7
clayton
Lakers 4 life. Kobe!

clayton is considered somewhat coolclayton is considered somewhat coolclayton is considered somewhat cool

2 supa stars (actually results of player combos may vary)
Kobe/Shaq results into 3 championship repeats.
I say it depends on how great the 2 superstars are.
clayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 10:10 PM   #8
Collie
Good college starter

Collie is popular on this boardCollie is popular on this boardCollie is popular on this boardCollie is popular on this board

Magic Johnson and Kareem Abdul Jabbar
Moses Malone and Dr. J
Bill Russell and Bob Cousy
MJ and Pippen
Shaq and Kobe
Dwyane Wade and Shaq
Larry Bird and Kevin McHale

More often than not, two superstars is what you need to win championships. Even then, most of the others had at least one superstar.

The only teams I could think of to not win without a transcendent superstar are the Supersonics and Pistons.
Collie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 10:10 PM   #9
thenextgreatbigman
Banned

what about brand/arenas or charlie V/parker/hamilton/chandler
Old 07-16-2007, 10:16 PM   #10
picc84
3-time NBA All-Star

picc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation here

Isnt this sort of like Detroit Pistons vs. LA Lakers?

Billups, Wallace, Hamilton, Wallace/Prince (1 title)

or

Shaq, Kobe/Wade (4 titles)
picc84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 10:31 PM   #11
BradMiller52
Kings fan

BradMiller52 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targus™
lol u picked some crappy "good players", i mean they're good but you could have made it fair at least.

Exactly. As far as the good players you could've atleast given them guys like Billups, Sheed, etc.

I think the main thing that wins championships is a good frontcourt though. PF/Cs impact the game more. The Pistons still had Wallace x2. 1 was a perennial DPOY and the other was one of the best post defenders in the league.
BradMiller52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 10:48 PM   #12
Los Angeles
A Diamond In the Rough

Los Angeles has an OK reputation so far

I think the Los Angeles and Sacramento rivalry proved it's better to have two superstars then 4 very good players.

I don't know if that's a good comparison since some people would consider Webber a superstar, and possibly Peja the year he was among the MVP candidates.

Regarding the Detroit/LA finals...you guys are forgetting that Malone was injured, Payton was old...Shaquille wasn't in his prime anymore. More then anything Kobe cost us that series with his bad decision making.

Shaquille & Kobe of 2000 would have beaten Detroit without Malone & Payton, I have no doubt about it.

Last edited by Los Angeles : 07-16-2007 at 10:51 PM.
Los Angeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 11:06 PM   #13
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

geeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
It's situational. I'd rather have Tmac and Yao because Miller, Butler, Wallace and West don't constitute a starting lineup. There are no players above 6'7-6'8, no Center, and no shooting guard. Oh yeah and nobody who can knock down any kind of long jumper.

However, if there's any real doubt about the fallacy of having 4 very good players as opposed to 2 superstars, let's compare this year's Bulls, or the Pistons since the year after they won the title, with Kobe/Shaq.

I'd rather have 1 superstar and 2 very good players, to be honest. I think that's best. That's the Spurs. That's the Suns. That's the Mavs. That's all the great teams in the NBA today.
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 11:09 PM   #14
thenextgreatbigman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeWiz15
It's situational. I'd rather have Tmac and Yao because Miller, Butler, Wallace and West don't constitute a starting lineup. There are no players above 6'7-6'8, no Center, and no shooting guard. Oh yeah and nobody who can knock down any kind of long jumper.

However, if there's any real doubt about the fallacy of having 4 very good players as opposed to 2 superstars, let's compare this year's Bulls, or the Pistons since the year after they won the title, with Kobe/Shaq.

I'd rather have 1 superstar and 2 very good players, to be honest. I think that's best. That's the Spurs. That's the Suns. That's the Mavs. That's all the great teams in the NBA today.
Shaq and Kobe was a crazy combo. Consider having superstars on Vince Carters, Elton Brands level.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:23 PM   #15
BradMiller52
Kings fan

BradMiller52 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Angeles
I think the Los Angeles and Sacramento rivalry proved it's better to have two superstars then 4 very good players.

I don't know if that's a good comparison since some people would consider Webber a superstar, and possibly Peja the year he was among the MVP candidates.

Regarding the Detroit/LA finals...you guys are forgetting that Malone was injured, Payton was old...Shaquille wasn't in his prime anymore. More then anything Kobe cost us that series with his bad decision making.

Shaquille & Kobe of 2000 would have beaten Detroit without Malone & Payton, I have no doubt about it.

The Kings would've won that game if it wasn't for Horry getting that 3 pointer, Dick Bavetta, or choking.

Doesn't really matter though, IMO defense wins championships. It's why SA has been dominant without having a 2nd superstar for Duncan. It's why the Pistons are always a contender. It's why the Suns can't seem to get to the finals, etc.
BradMiller52 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: