Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 07-18-2007, 07:09 PM   #151
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: yi''s boss says if yi isnt traded, Yi will be back in china

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamcz
The difference is that Vasquez made no attempts to fight NBA customs and rules. He worked out for teams, got drafted, and decided the NBA wasn't for him.

Yi on the other hand basically refused to participate in the draft altogether. He skipped the combine, didn't work out for teams, and submitted a small list of teams he's willing to play for. Instead of saying that he'd rather play in a different league that is more to his liking, he's trying to change or get around how the NBA works. It's disrespectful to act like you're above the league - if you can't respect the league, join a different one. Vasquez did that, Yi didn't.
actually he did work out for teams, Milwaukee wasn't one of them, and despite all this those morons in Milwakee still drafted him? amazing...
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 07:47 PM   #152
Y2Gezee
Troll spotting pro

Y2Gezee is a pretty well-respected posterY2Gezee is a pretty well-respected posterY2Gezee is a pretty well-respected poster

Something that is starting to piss me off is people thinking this is a bad situation because they believe that just because of Yi, every player will be doing the same thing.

Well like Adam has been pressing, this is not a new situation, it has happened before. And only a few will do it.

The reason it won't continue to happen is because most players don't have the leverage to make it happen. Yi can go play elsewhere in his own country and spend his Nike money. Most players just want to get drafted as high as they can, so they can get as much money on their rookie contract as they can. And so they look a bit better by being picked pretty high. Obviously Yi didn't care about that and was offering to sacrifice it.

OJ Mayo has expressed that he would love to play for LAL, but I doubt he'd threaten a holdout unless he does. As he and his family is broke. Sure he can and will get some endorsments too and can borrow from his agent, but Yi has a whole league that he is comfortable playing in and making money from.

Pretty much, it will not start a domino effect of multiple players per draft threatening teams. I think this decision by Yi and his team has plenty to do with the Bucks not having a need for his position and them wanting him to be put somewhere he can play instantly and build on his fame, his game, and be ready for the Olympics. Yi/Yao together
Y2Gezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 08:00 PM   #153
FPower
Local High School Star

FPower has decent reputation

Quote:
Why?? If you're an unproven new guy AND you demand not to work for a certain branch in a company... WHY does that company STILL hire you and put you in that branch? And then when you become confused and re-affirm your original request, people start bashing you and start talking about how you should be happy to be making money in the company in the first place.

Interesting analogy you came up with, but I can use it to prove the other side of the argument just as easily.

So the new guy interviews and demands not to work for a certain branch in the company. In return the company says, "Sorry, the only only position we have available is in the Milwaukee branch. Take it or leave it." That's basically the Yi situation. He hasn't been hired yet at all, he needs to decide how badly he wants to work for this company. (NBA)

It's up to him, and I honestly wouldn't have any problem with him if he decided that the NBA isn't for him after all. But don't negotiate through the media, it always makes you look like a *****.
FPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 08:10 PM   #154
InfiniteBaskets
Decent college freshman

InfiniteBaskets has a terrific reputationInfiniteBaskets has a terrific reputationInfiniteBaskets has a terrific reputationInfiniteBaskets has a terrific reputationInfiniteBaskets has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPower
Interesting analogy you came up with, but I can use it to prove the other side of the argument just as easily.

So the new guy interviews and demands not to work for a certain branch in the company. In return the company says, "Sorry, the only only position we have available is in the Milwaukee branch. Take it or leave it." That's basically the Yi situation. He hasn't been hired yet at all, he needs to decide how badly he wants to work for this company. (NBA)

It's up to him, and I honestly wouldn't have any problem with him if he decided that the NBA isn't for him after all. But don't negotiate through the media, it always makes you look like a *****.
I have no problem with the NBA saying "we don't have any openings, take Milwaukee or leave it". Yi's reps will prob be like yeah I think we'd rather go make more money in China.

And the whole analogy becomes fuzzy as to which is the actual "company", the NBA or the milwaukee bucks because the NBA isn't the ones who "hired" Yi. It was the Milwaukee bucks who chose to do so.

Maybe this would be a better analogy. Yi's entering the draft his Yi posting an ad in the local newspaper about him looking for a job, his qualificaitons, his asking pay, and the other stuff he's looking for in an employer. Milwaukee, a company that doesn't fit Yi's ad, calls in anyways and tries to hire him. Can you blame Yi for not wanting to go to work for them?

Anyways, I'm starting to think that no proper analogy is going to really work a perfect fit into the situation let's just drop 'em.
InfiniteBaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 08:23 PM   #155
Jasper
Bucks Brigade

Jasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricForman
Then what shuold happen is Yi shuodn't play in the NBA. Not demand trades. I will personally be saddened if in the end, Yi ends up having his way. It just wouldn't be fair.

And I shuoldn't refer to the culprit as Yi, but more the Chinese government.

And as for the "if Bucks had picked someone else, all this could have been avoided" line.

Thats't he problem... The Bucks shouldn't have had to pick someone else. This is the major issue here and that is why everyone thinks Yi is wrong. It's YOUR CHOICE to enter the NBA draft, the NBA draft works a certain way, you can't just say "don't pick me Milwaukee I don't want to play for you". Then what is the point of an NBA draft if new playesr has a say like this?

Who's to stop OJ Mayo from coming in next year and say "I will not play for anyteam but the Lakers". Then why even have a draft? And small market teams will continue to get shunned if the league continues to let it happen.

You hit the nail on the thread buddie......

This is a NBA draft issue and who runs the draft - THE NBA.
Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 08:33 PM   #156
EricForman
Good college starter

EricForman has decent reputationEricForman has decent reputation

WTF is with all these "work analogies" implying the new guy has a choice.

In the real world, if you're a new guy looking for a job, you will do whatever the company tells you to. If you don't like it, you only have ONE CHOICE-- DON'T WORK THERE. You have no choice to make demands or say "switch me to another place/another desk/another co worker" whatever.

The NBA Draft works that way, I don't see WHAT SO EVER why it is acceptable for soeone to enter the draft but then make demands and say he wouldn't play for a certain team that drafts them.

The only right thing Yi can do is play in Milwaukee or go play in China. He should not have been asking to be traded elsewhere.

Quote:
"Sorry, the only only position we have available is in the Milwaukee branch. Take it or leave it." That's basically the Yi situation. He hasn't been hired yet at all, he needs to decide how badly he wants to work for this company. (NBA)

But the situation wasn't Yi saying he'd rather play in China. The situation is he WANTS TO PLAY IN THE NBA BUT HE WANTS TO PLAY FOR A SELECT NUMBER OF TEAMS. He's making the demands here, get it? Only recently has it been revealed that he would rather stay in China than Milwaukee, the first few weeks he just said he wanted to be traded.
EricForman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 08:34 PM   #157
ReturnOfJimi
Good High School Starter

ReturnOfJimi has an OK reputation so far

Yao needs to kick this guy's ass already.

Battle to the Death - Yi vs. Yao
ReturnOfJimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 09:41 PM   #158
Y2Gezee
Troll spotting pro

Y2Gezee is a pretty well-respected posterY2Gezee is a pretty well-respected posterY2Gezee is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricForman
WTF is with all these "work analogies" implying the new guy has a choice.

In the real world, if you're a new guy looking for a job, you will do whatever the company tells you to. If you don't like it, you only have ONE CHOICE-- DON'T WORK THERE. You have no choice to make demands or say "switch me to another place/another desk/another co worker" whatever.

The NBA Draft works that way, I don't see WHAT SO EVER why it is acceptable for soeone to enter the draft but then make demands and say he wouldn't play for a certain team that drafts them.

The only right thing Yi can do is play in Milwaukee or go play in China. He should not have been asking to be traded elsewhere.

But the situation wasn't Yi saying he'd rather play in China. The situation is he WANTS TO PLAY IN THE NBA BUT HE WANTS TO PLAY FOR A SELECT NUMBER OF TEAMS. He's making the demands here, get it? Only recently has it been revealed that he would rather stay in China than Milwaukee, the first few weeks he just said he wanted to be traded.

With all these work analogies... in reality it usually works that in a company with multiple branches you get to choose which ones you'd like to work for. Like I was offered a job last year in Alabama with the choices to work in Birmingham, Mobile, Huntsville, Dothan. They wanted me, I chose what I chose, and that's it. Those were the only choices because those were the only places they had a company. Just like in the NBA they have their "branches" and Yi is obviously a player or employee the company wants to promote and showcase and just like the free agents in the NBA that get to choose, he has decided to limit where he'd like to go. Hell the NBA even used him to help hype the draft.

Sure all the free agents went through the same thing, but they were just happy to be instant millionaires and wanted to go anywhere to get as much as they could. Yi wants to go where he'll feel most comfortable. I don't see much difference from this and a player demanding to be traded. Teams often grant those wishes because they know it is a waste to keep a player that doesn't want to be there. Just like if the Lakers don't fix their team, Kobe will ultimately be out of there. May not be this offseason, but he'll be gone
Y2Gezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 09:46 PM   #159
GoldNugg21
Good High School Starter

GoldNugg21 has an OK reputation so far

I was going to completely ignore this thread, but one too many times reading a title which so egregiously overuses the name Yi and I had to either say something or go insane.
GoldNugg21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 10:44 PM   #160
kentatm
NBA Legend

kentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Their (supposed) rationale for him playing elsewhere is that they want him on a team where he will get the most playing time and be able to improve the most, in the next year, leading up to the Olympics.

a. Isn't Milwaukee about as good a candidate as there is? If not, then who would be that ideal team for him as far as playing time?
b. If the Chinese play hardball, and the Bucks don't give in, his options are two-fold
(1) sit out of ANY pro basketball for a year (including China)
(2) sign in an outside league

If he does the former, he really screws his pre-Olympic development. If he does the latter, Milw continues to own his rights for a subsequent year and he isn't eligible to go back in the draft to be selected by someone else.

Shut up, sign the deal, and play.

link
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: