Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Philadelphia 76ers Forum

Philadelphia 76ers Forum Philadelphia 76ers forum - 76ers message board - Sixers fan forum

Old 07-12-2006, 08:07 PM   #1
sixerfan3511
Local High School Star

sixerfan3511 has decent reputation
Default great article on iverson

i completely agree with this. we should not trade him, at all!

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/5778740
sixerfan3511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 09:11 PM   #2
artificial
:-P

artificial is a pretty well-respected posterartificial is a pretty well-respected posterartificial is a pretty well-respected poster

(fragment)

Quote:
Teams rarely receive equal value when trading superstars. The Boston Celtics have shown the most interest in Iverson, but have vowed not to deal perennial all-star Paul Pierce. In fact it's suggested that a multi-team deal may have to be made to acquire Iverson.

The question remains, would any trade make the Sixers a better team either now or in the immediate future? Sure, Iverson is entering his 11th NBA season, but he did average 33 points and 7.4 assists last season.

And while Iverson is considered an old 31-year-old because of all the hits he has taken over the years, it wouldn't be a stretch to suggest that he could play four more seasons at an All-Star level.

And if he leaves, then the Sixers would be a team that has an inconsistent $64 million center in Samuel Dalembert, a creaky-kneed defensively challenged power forward in Chris Webber and a potential future All-Star in Andre Iguodala, ableit one who still must develop a jump shot.

Since Webber is owed $43 million over the next two years, he would be more difficult to give away than Enron stock certificates, so it's hard to see this team improving defensively.

Even assuming that the Sixers get a starter in exchange for Iverson, they wouldn't be the type of team that would inspire the Philadelphia paying public to line up at the box office.

The Sixers had trouble sustaining the attention of the Philadelphia sports fan last season with Iverson, so imagine what it would be like without him.

And the last time Iverson was almost traded, he came back a more determined player. History could surely repeat itself.

If he is traded, history could also repeat itself, which wouldn't be too exciting for the fans in the City of Brotherly Love.

Dealing a superstar can set a franchise back for years, as the trades for Chamberlain and Barkley demonstrated.

So the Sixers should think long and hard before they send Iverson packing. Because if King does pull the trigger, the Sixers won't have Matt Geiger to bail them out this time.
word.

besides, i really have got used to see iverson in a sixer jersey. it would just look wrong to see him in another uniform.
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 09:41 PM   #3
mln03
I airball my layups

mln03 has an OK reputation so far

what narducci doesn't emphasize enough is they aren't good WITH him. They are mediocre at best. I don't understand why you people feel the need to keep him around only to watch him toil with scrubs to the left and right of him. If you really want him to win and be successful...let him go! Wherever he goes that team will most likely be a contender instantly.

It's obvious Billy King cannot get help for him in Philly, so why ruin the rest of his career here?
mln03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 10:36 PM   #4
NBAfan32
High school junior varsity star

NBAfan32 has an OK reputation so far

Im with mln on this one. Im a big AI fan and appreciate everything he's done but Management's inability to put a winning team around AI not only hurts him but the franchise as well. Last year or this coming season is probably AI's last run as a Sixer and although id hate to see him in another uniform, id like a trade that would be best for the team and for AI too.
NBAfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 10:50 PM   #5
sixerfan3511
Local High School Star

sixerfan3511 has decent reputation

i think we need to give it at least 1 more year with the young guys and c-webb, cuz webb is gonna be gone in 2 years. so i say if it doesnt go at least a 6th seed this year, get rid of ai and keep webber for his final year, dont trade his contract! then we'll have 21 million in cap space, 21 million! so that's when we rebuild...and by then carney, dalembert, iguodala, green, they could all be stars or at least very solid.
sixerfan3511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 01:41 PM   #6
The Answer
National High School Star

The Answer has decent reputationThe Answer has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBAfan32
Im with mln on this one. Im a big AI fan and appreciate everything he's done but Management's inability to put a winning team around AI not only hurts him but the franchise as well. Last year or this coming season is probably AI's last run as a Sixer and although id hate to see him in another uniform, id like a trade that would be best for the team and for AI too.

I agree
The Answer is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: