Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-17-2007, 01:42 AM   #1
monthh
Local High School Star

monthh has an OK reputation so far
Default Being in Debt

Okay, here is the story, I'm sure you have heard it before:

I had a girlfriend a couple years ago, she couldn't get a cell phone, so I went to Best Buy with her and signed up for one so she could use it. The problem is that she broke up with me, and now I find out she stopped paying for it at some point. I think we used her address so she has probably been getting bills, and of course hasn't told me (even though we still get along and talk sometimes). Then the other day I get mail at my parents house, and it is from a dept collector saying that I own $700 to Verizon.

I am just wondering what you guys would do. Basically I just want to have it go away as fast and easy as possible. I am calling them first thing tomorrow and finding out what I can do.

These are the things I have thought of:

Just pay it off and then make her pay me back. I would get her to sign a contract saying she is going to pay me back like a $100 a week (I should have made her sign a contract in the first place).

The other thing is to talk to them and try to lie by saying that I canceled it a long time ago, and I hadn't recieved any notice, and so I figured it was a done thing, and now I am getting this letter telling me I owe a lot of money. Just basically lie to them and tell them something went wrong in my cancelation.

My main question is, does this mean that my credit is screwed up forever? I just bought a new car just over a month ago, and they gave me the loan no questions asked (I think the dealer actually said it was perfect) so I don't understand that. Would my best option just be to pay it off and have it done with (the money really isn't an issue)?

Basically, I am sure there are some people here that have had some kind of debt, and what are my options, and how bad is this situation in terms of my credit?
monthh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 01:46 AM   #2
Ballastic
<////////////}~

Ballastic has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Being in Debt

Quote:
Originally Posted by monthh
Okay, here is the story, I'm sure you have heard it before:

I had a girlfriend a couple years ago, she couldn't get a cell phone, so I went to Best Buy with her and signed up for one so she could use it. The problem is that she broke up with me, and now I find out she stopped paying for it at some point. I think we used her address so she has probably been getting bills, and of course hasn't told me (even though we still get along and talk sometimes). Then the other day I get mail at my parents house, and it is from a dept collector saying that I own $700 to Verizon.

I am just wondering what you guys would do. Basically I just want to have it go away as fast and easy as possible. I am calling them first thing tomorrow and finding out what I can do.

These are the things I have thought of:

Just pay it off and then make her pay me back. I would get her to sign a contract saying she is going to pay me back like a $100 a week (I should have made her sign a contract in the first place).

The other thing is to talk to them and try to lie by saying that I canceled it a long time ago, and I hadn't recieved any notice, and so I figured it was a done thing, and now I am getting this letter telling me I owe a lot of money. Just basically lie to them and tell them something went wrong in my cancelation.

My main question is, does this mean that my credit is screwed up forever? I just bought a new car just over a month ago, and they gave me the loan no questions asked (I think the dealer actually said it was perfect) so I don't understand that. Would my best option just be to pay it off and have it done with (the money really isn't an issue)?

Basically, I am sure there are some people here that have had some kind of debt, and what are my options, and how bad is this situation in terms of my credit?

Take her to a small claims court and settle it there. You shouldve bought her a pre-pay phone.
Ballastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 01:53 AM   #3
DCL
NBA rookie of the year

DCL is popular on this boardDCL is popular on this boardDCL is popular on this boardDCL is popular on this board

the creditors don't care if you said you paid it off. they go according to their records. so unless you have proof like a letter from verizon, that won't fly.

and since it's on your record, you want to get it off as soon as possible and not let it drag or else it's really going to hurt your credit. so yeah, it's gonna have to come out of your pocket immediately. go after your girl later. the creditors don't care about your past relationship. they just want to collect the bill, and unfortunately, it's in your name.

just be fortunate it's $700 and not a few grand.
DCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 02:20 AM   #4
monthh
Local High School Star

My current girlfriend wants me to take her to small claims court. I just was hoping she would pay for it. I tried talking to her, and she won't talk back though. And she had a pre-paid phone, but it didn't work well, and yeah, she was a young girl and they all need a "real" cell phone to be cool.

Yeah DLC, I will be writing a check tomorrow for sure, and calling them just to ask why they didn't get ahold of me sooner. And thanks for the info about not having records and stuff, it knocked the sense back into me. I know the truth is always better in the end.

But does this ruin my credit forever? I mean I got my car, and a $700 bill which means it has been going on for a long time. But will this screw me when I go to get a house loan or anything? I mean I pay rent on time, my own cell phone, my cable, my car payments, credit cards, and everything else I have ever had to pay on. This is the first time I have ever behind period, much less this much, and it just makes me mad that I am just finding out about it know.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:13 AM   #5
DCL
NBA rookie of the year

DCL is popular on this boardDCL is popular on this boardDCL is popular on this boardDCL is popular on this board

well, here's the thing. a bill collecting agency is not same as the credit bureau. so even though your bill was brought to a bill collector's attention, it does not necessarily mean it was also reported to the credit bureau yet, so your credit may not even have been touched yet. you should definitely call up the agency no later than early morning tomorrow to find out though because this is one of those things you don't really want to procrastinate on. but if this is the first time you received the letter, it's probably still brand new, so maybe no action has been done yet at all. but if they ask you to pay immediately, just do it. they've heard all the stories. funerals, natural disasters, homelessness, family issues, alien abduction, they don't care about your reasons. they just want you to pay. they earn their money from commission, so they're only interested in getting a percentage off of that $700 from you.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:18 AM   #6
monthh
Local High School Star

Yeah I also saw that they threw in $110 for a "collection fee." I am really glad to hear about the credit bureau thing though. I hope they haven't reported me. Thank you so much. I wish they tought this stuff in school because it seems like you have to screw up your credit to figure out how it works. Thanks again, I feel a lot better now.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:25 AM   #7
proof
Banned

proof has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Yeah I also saw that they threw in $110 for a "collection fee." I am really glad to hear about the credit bureau thing though. I hope they haven't reported me. Thank you so much. I wish they tought this stuff in school because it seems like you have to screw up your credit to figure out how it works. Thanks again, I feel a lot better now.

As far as I know, collection agencies dont charge fees to the debtor. They charge fees to the company that is collecting(verizon).

Anyways, Im positive your credit hasnt been touched. They dont report you unless you dont pay it off after recieving a few letters and letting a few weeks pass by.

I would take your old gf to court as well. Make sure you bring all the proof. See you on Judge Judy.
proof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 03:25 AM   #8
Showtime
Hardwood Hero

Showtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation here

Ok, first off, if you want to make a case about it, here are things that can help you:

1. Was the phone in both of your names, or just yours? Was her name on any part of the paperwork?

2. Was there any verbal or written agreement that she had to pay part of the bill? Had she paid any part of the bill before?

If her name was on there, and/or she was paying part of the bill, you can make a case against her in court.

Last edited by Showtime : 07-17-2007 at 03:27 AM.
Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 03:31 AM   #9
DCL
NBA rookie of the year

i don't think it has been reported yet, but let's say the worse happens, and it is in your credit report already... no, it's not going to f--k you up forever or prevent you from getting any future mortgage if this is the only bad thing you have on the report. it's just a phone bill, and $700 is a lot, but it's not A LOT, like extensive missing payments for a house, or foreclosures, tax liens, or bankruptcies, etc. they only raise serious red flags and deny you future credit lines if they think late payment is a consistent pattern. but one item from a phone bill is excusable. it won't give you a perfect credit score, but it's not going to screw you for life neither. but nonetheless, you should make sure it's not there, just because it's just not worth the trouble. it's just a pimple. only if you have a bit is it going to stand out. but most likely, everyone has had at least one of these boo boos.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:44 AM   #10
sunsfan1357
Word.

sunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation here

So you barely got the notice and this has been going on for how long? I didn't pay my bill for like three months and I got a notice from Verizon saying that if I didn't pay then they would report me to the credit bureau (I think the bill was like 400 bucks). As long as you actually talk to the collector and work everything out your credit shouldn't be effected. Either way if you maintain the payments on your car (assuming its financed) then I would think that would hold more weight than a 700 dollar cell phone bill.
sunsfan1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 03:50 AM   #11
monthh
Local High School Star

Proof, thanks, the bill is dated 7/2, but it just came in the mail. Hope that doesn't mean it has been too long.

Showtime, my name was the only one used, but bills were sent to her address, she paid them for a while, and we did have a verbal agreement.

Thanks for the info DCL. It really gives me some peace of mind to know that I am not screwed. I did learn, however, never to let someone use my name to sign for something. And to listen to my parents, who told me not use my name for her cell phone.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:05 AM   #12
proof
Banned

proof has an OK reputation so far

Quote:

Showtime, my name was the only one used, but bills were sent to her address, she paid them for a while, and we did have a verbal agreement.

Verbal agreements stand in court, but(I think) may vary from state to state. Just do a google search for info. Plus she paid the bills on her own that were being sent to her home, which shows/proves she was the person responsible for the bill.

IMO, you have a case.
proof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 04:19 AM   #13
monthh
Local High School Star

Yeah hopefully I won't have to take it that far, but she doesn't have any money and just got pregnant. She has a part time job at Staples, and her semi-boyfriend/baby's daddy is a bum alcholic. But after she pulled this, I don't really feel like being nice. What comes around goes around.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:52 AM   #14
SJellen
I hit open 5-footers

SJellen has an OK reputation so far

i would pay it off. then take her to small claims.

you learn a valueble lesson. just chalk it up to experience

your credit shouldnt take that big of a hit. keep paying the car loan on time and itll be fine.

maybe get a credit report.
SJellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 12:42 PM   #15
monthh
Local High School Star

Well everything is taken care of. Thank you guys so much, I didn't know where else to turn at 1 in the morning to figure things out, and I'm glad you guys were around.

And your right Jellen, I have learned my lesson and that will never happen again.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: