Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 07-17-2007, 05:05 PM   #1
el_locoteee
Decent college freshman

el_locoteee has decent reputationel_locoteee has decent reputation
Default Luis Scola talk to Houston

Audio:

http://www.sportsradio610.com/play_w...audioId=872234
el_locoteee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 08:24 PM   #2
Moose

Default Re: Luis Scola talk to Houston

Now he has been signed.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:26 PM   #3
Moose

Quote:
Welcome Sign
Rockets hoping addition of Scola will help fill void at power forward

HOUSTON -- Shortly before the NBA Draft in June, Rockets coach Rick Adelman started studying film on Luis Scola when he learned that the power forward could potentially be traded to Houston.

The coach didn't need long to assess what the shaggy-haired power forward from Argentina could potentially bring to his lineup.

"What I saw on tape was someone who's always moving and always active," Adelman said. "He plays hard. That's what really impressed me."

And that, in a nutshell, is what the Rockets are seeking from their latest addition.

Scola, one of Europe's best players over the past five seasons, signed a contract with the Rockets Tuesday, a deal that will become effective following the buyout of his contract with the Spanish team Tau Ceramica of the Euroleague.

The Rockets sorely needed help at power forward heading into the offseason, having only one potential returning player at the position in Chuck Hayes. That's the void that Scola will fill after Houston acquired him through a trade with San Antonio.

Besides potentially becoming the team's starting power forward, the Argentina star is expected to bring more toughness and offensive skills to the frontcourt. He was a two-time MVP of the Spanish League and helped his country win its first-ever gold medal at the 2004 Olympic Games.

"Luis obviously fills a position of need," Rockets general manager Daryl Morey said. "We thought he was the best guy out there. He has size and experience and he's been a winner at every level. He's someone that we think can come in and contribute right away to the team."

The Spurs selected Scola with a second-round pick in the 2002 NBA Draft, but were unable to sign him because of a large buyout.

Since then, the Spurs were seeking a trade partner, preferring a team outside the Southwest Division. Unable to find a desirable deal beyond the Southwest, San Antonio sent the draft rights to Scola along with reserve center Jackie Butler to Houston in exchange for Greek guard Vassilis Spanoulis and a 2009 second-round pick.

The trade helped give the 27-year old forward an opportunity to finally realize his dream of playing in the NBA.

"I'm really happy about how things turned out," said Scola, who had been waiting five years to make the move to the NBA after being chosen by the Spurs. "I'm thankful with the Spurs because, in the end, I think they helped me with this deal. I've always dreamed of playing in the NBA because I want to play with the best players in the world."

The Rockets suspect that the power forward will need some time to adjust his game to a new league and team.

But they also know this much: Scola is a fairly polished prospect who could help the team advance in the playoffs. He's extremely athletic and tough with good instincts. With his passing skills and a strong all-around offensive game, the 6-foot-9, 245-pound forward should fit perfectly into Adelman's system.

The coach expects Scola to compliment Rockets star center Yao Ming as an active rebounder and scorer in the paint.

"He's going to be a great attribute to Yao," Adelman said. "The more passers and more scorers that you have on the floor, the harder you are to defend. He really fits that bill. I just thinks it's going to be easy for him. I showed him a tape earlier of what we like to do and he fits right in there. The biggest adjustment is probably going to be at the defensive end, which it is for every young person in the NBA."

Scola was already looking forward to playing alongside Tracy McGrady and Yao.

"When they told me I was heading to Houston, that was the first thing that I was thinking about," Scola said. "It's great to play with them. They're superstars. They're going to make basketball easier. I have to take this chance and use it."

Adelman is certainly looking forward to adding Scola to that mix.

While he said it's far too early to pencil the power forward into the starting lineup, the coach watched enough tape to know that Scola will contribute right away.

"He can step in and be an effective player for us right away," Adelman said.

Now they finally signed a good player to play PF.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:04 PM   #4
fatboy11
NBA sixth man of the year

fatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose
Now they finally signed a good player to play PF.
Indeed.

It's been a long time. Hopefully he brings some consistency to the position.
fatboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 09:21 PM   #5
despurs
High School JV MVP

despurs has an OK reputation so far

I have a bad feeling the spurs are going to regret this trade.
despurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 09:32 PM   #6
sydneyking
Banned

sydneyking has not been impressing people

Quote:
Since then, the Spurs were seeking a trade partner, preferring a team outside the Southwest Division. Unable to find a desirable deal beyond the Southwest, San Antonio sent the draft rights to Scola along with reserve center Jackie Butler to Houston in exchange for Greek guard Vassilis Spanoulis and a 2009 second-round pick.
This deal gets weirder and weirder. Surely some team could have given up more than a low second rounder.
sydneyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 10:10 PM   #7
IGOTGAME
NBA All-star

IGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by despurs
I have a bad feeling the spurs are going to regret this trade.

me too... but I usually dont question them...but Duncan and Scola...equals 2 more rings...but duncan and elson or oberto might be the same thing so who knows...

Should be fun to watch the Rox now...
IGOTGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 10:38 PM   #8
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Scola must have been diagnosed with ALS recently. A well managed team like the Spurs helping out a rival team is one strange move.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 10:47 PM   #9
Knoe Struh Damus
I Knew I'd Type This

Knoe Struh Damus has an OK reputation so far

Can someone confirm what the buyout was? From what I've read, 3 mill, which isn't exactly as overwhelming as I was led to believe. Definitely strange for the Spurs, even throwing in Butler who I think can be a decent backup center.
Knoe Struh Damus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 11:37 PM   #10
TMac&Luther
Karl Malone's bastard

TMac&Luther is considered somewhat coolTMac&Luther is considered somewhat coolTMac&Luther is considered somewhat cool

The Spurs just gave a divisional rival the missing piece for what equates to a bag of peanuts.

Also if Aaron Brooks turns out to be the steal that he appears to be.........this league is in trouble, because that will be all of the Rockets major weaknesses FILLED. For the first time in about a decade the Rockets are solid 1-5 and have great depth on the bench.

Last edited by TMac&Luther : 07-18-2007 at 12:09 AM.
TMac&Luther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 11:55 PM   #11
qwerty
(o_0)

qwerty has decent reputationqwerty has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydneyking
This deal gets weirder and weirder. Surely some team could have given up more than a low second rounder.

Maybe no one wanted to take in Jackie Butlers contract? I'm not sure how bad/good it is though.
qwerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 12:09 AM   #12
Mr_Basketball#1
McCants is Available!!

Mr_Basketball#1 has an incredible reputation hereMr_Basketball#1 has an incredible reputation hereMr_Basketball#1 has an incredible reputation hereMr_Basketball#1 has an incredible reputation hereMr_Basketball#1 has an incredible reputation hereMr_Basketball#1 has an incredible reputation hereMr_Basketball#1 has an incredible reputation here

Luis Scola is good and so is Jackie Butler...Butler is an athletic big man who can dunk it in your face or lay the ball with ease...Great pick up by the rockets..
Mr_Basketball#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 12:24 AM   #13
brantonli
In Morey We Trust!

brantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I decided to look up all the team's players who have salaries near Spanoulis's one (1.8 million) and these are the closest I found for each team:

Atlanta: Josh Smith
Boston: Sebastian Telfair, Gerald Green, Michael Olowakandi, Kendrick Perkins
Charlotte: Sean May, Walter Hermann
Chicago: Malik Allen, Thabo Sefolasha
Cavaliers: Sasha Pavolic, David Wesley
Dallas: DeSanaga Diop, Devean George
Denver: JR Smith.
Pistons: Flip Murray
Golden State: Andrins Biedrins
Houston: Vassilis Spanoulis, Kirk Snyder
Indiana: Danny Granger
Clippers: Yaroslav Korolev, Aaron Williams
Lakers: Brian Cook
Memphis: DahntyJones,
Miami: Dorrell Wright
Milwaukee: NA
Minnesota: Rashad McCants
New Jersey: Clifford Robinson, Antoine Wright
New Orleans: David West, Hilton Armstrong
New York: NA
Orlando: JJ Reddick
Philidelphia: Greg Buckner
Phoenix: Boris Diaw, Barbosa
Portland: Travis Outlaw
Sacramento: Jason Hart
San Antonio: NA
Seattle: Robert Swift
Toronto: Kris Humphry
Utah: Ronnie Brewer
Washington: Michael Ruffin

It's actually pretty surprising how there are so many key role players that are on such a small contract, Boston being a prime exampmle, and the Hawks have Josh Smith for dirt cheap for now. I'm pretty sure that the spurs could have had offers from several teams, but they were looking to get rid of 4 million in total, not just release the player, and since both Spanoulis and the spurs are willing to part then the salary is discounted, which I don't think any of the players above would be willing to do.

Last edited by brantonli : 07-18-2007 at 12:27 AM.
brantonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 12:27 AM   #14
Mr_Basketball#1
McCants is Available!!

Mr_Basketball#1 has an incredible reputation hereMr_Basketball#1 has an incredible reputation hereMr_Basketball#1 has an incredible reputation hereMr_Basketball#1 has an incredible reputation hereMr_Basketball#1 has an incredible reputation hereMr_Basketball#1 has an incredible reputation hereMr_Basketball#1 has an incredible reputation here

^^Good research...I think Boston needs to trade some of those people and get that good defender to play beside Ray Allen and Paul Pierce...
Mr_Basketball#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 01:17 AM   #15
NBAFan
Kids at the park dunk on me

NBAFan has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMac&Luther
The Spurs just gave a divisional rival the missing piece for what equates to a bag of peanuts.

Also if Aaron Brooks turns out to be the steal that he appears to be.........this league is in trouble, because that will be all of the Rockets major weaknesses FILLED. For the first time in about a decade the Rockets are solid 1-5 and have great depth on the bench.

This "the league is in trouble" made me laugh hard. Houston is not 1-2 piece away from winning, Houston main problem is with one of its superstars. Don't be delusional, because another round 1 exit is waiting for Houston, with or without Scola.
NBAFan is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: