Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 07-18-2007, 01:32 PM   #31
luigi>mario
Now known as Luigi

luigi>mario has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Steve Francis to decide soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I see Francis going to the Clippers. It is smart to have another pg option with Cassel, old guys get injured. Plus I think he could get some time at the shooting guard there. Otherwise I think he fits their style.
luigi>mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 01:41 PM   #32
SCREWstonRockets
Houston Texan

SCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected posterSCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected posterSCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected posterSCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Prime

How can you sit there and say that Stevie Franchise is not a problem player to have on your team? Every team he has been on, from the second he was drafted, he has whined about and caused problems. Except New York, but he just gave up at that point.

You obviously know nothing about Stevie Franchise, because you still see the All Star who played hard for the Rockets. Yet he whined there and got sent out of town. And he hasn't been nearly the player since then. Yet he still whines and causes problems.

He was never a problem with the Rockets, on and off the court. Only time would probably be the JVG/Superbowl thing. But what player hasn't butted heads with JVG? And he never whined in Houston. Maybe in ORL and NY, but with the Rockets, he was a great teammate. He got shipped becase we had a chance to get T-Mac, it was a no brainer. Anyways, Steve has yet to be on a decent team in his career. If we ship one or two of our guards, and Steve signs for the LLE, the team will be very scary.
SCREWstonRockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 01:41 PM   #33
artificial
:-P

artificial is a pretty well-respected posterartificial is a pretty well-respected posterartificial is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
And to one of the above posters, Stevie Franchise averaged almost 29 minutes a game last year.

So he dished out 1 assist every 7 minutes.
That's his career low. and I gave you his career average. you really want to go into that?

Quote:
What about when he played with the Magic? Were they "crappy" too? Yeah, it's all the teams' fault, not Stevie Franchise. Guess I don't know anything about Stevie Franchise, having seen him play live in the TD Waterhouse Center (which is what it was called then) in downtown Orlando, FL.

You're the one who doesn't know anything. Portland is a young team in rebuilding mode right now. If The Franchise was still a contributor, he would still be there, providing a scoring punch and veteran leadership. Instead, they paid him 30 million to get the heck out of town.
You got to see him live in one game in Orlando. Great, I envy you. But that doesn't means by far that you know a lot of Steve.

Then, your logic is flawed. Portland is a young team in rebuilding mode, so they want young players. Why would they keep him, even if he could contribute? They have Brandon Roy, and Steve would obviously have mixed roles with Roy. Not that I necessarily agree with the move, but Portland paid 30 mill to open minutes for their best player as of now. Or you want to say Zach Randolph can't contribute either and that's why Portland traded him for a player that plays the same position as two of their core players.

Quote:
How can you sit there and say that Stevie Franchise is not a problem player to have on your team? Every team he has been on, from the second he was drafted, he has whined about and caused problems. Except New York, but he just gave up at that point.
Didn't whine in Houston nor in Orlando. He put up stats in Orlando, though the team sucked balls. And yes, it was mostly his fault. But I don't recall him whining about that.

Quote:
You obviously know nothing about Stevie Franchise, because you still see the All Star who played hard for the Rockets. Yet he whined there and got sent out of town. And he hasn't been nearly the player since then. Yet he still whines and causes problems.
I completely agree in that Steve hasn't played nearly the level he had when he was in Houston once he got out of there. He played so well that when he was traded, it was for freakin TMac. Once out, he put up the stats in Orlando, but not the wins. But you just can't blame Francis for the mess in NY. And for the locker room cancer, where you got that from? I remember teammates speaking pretty well of Francis. In Houston he did great. In Orlando he got close with Howard, and tried to mentor Nelson. Not sure about NYK.

Granted, Francis isn't the greatest player. Not a good ball distributor by any means. Have had a lot of dumb moves literally since the moment he was drafted. But he isn't exactly worthless. If there's a positive in his game, is that he always plays his heart out. He is 30 years old, and he should still have something left on the tank, and I want to see that.

If you want to see Francis' NBA career remain as dead as it is now, fine. If you think he's done, fine. Just don't act as if he was always worthless. I just want to see if he can revive his career.
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 01:45 PM   #34
luigi>mario
Now known as Luigi

luigi>mario has an OK reputation so far

I think a lot of the trash that gets thrown on Steve Francis comes from his nick-name. If you have a nick name that implies you are a franchise player, and then get moved around a little, people start to get mad.

The distance of his fall is what people measure when they say he is worthless, while the place he fell too gets measured by those who say he was still a good nba player.
luigi>mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 01:47 PM   #35
Ghetto Phenom
I hit open layups

Ghetto Phenom has an OK reputation so far

I'm going to withhold any jokes, but w/ all seriousness: Francis is going wherever Mobley is. And right now that's the Clips.

ďHim not being here is going to be tough for me. I donít know what Iím going to wake up for.Ē - Steve Francis talking about Mobley ...NUFF SAID
Ghetto Phenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 01:56 PM   #36
Optimus Prime
:\

Optimus Prime is considered somewhat coolOptimus Prime is considered somewhat cool

Good post!

I saw him more than once. I even got a Stevie Franchise bobble head that I gave to a kid. :)

Portland would want some sort of experienced, veteran leadership there to help keep the newbies on the straight and narrow. Yet they bought out Francis. Those numbers are still on the books, so they didn't save much (what like 5 mil over two years)? Why else would they ship him out? Francis wouldn't have to play big minutes, he could come off the bench and tutor the young guys. But...why would that be a problem? Right. He would complain.

Z-Bo had more than attitude problems. He had off court issues, and the Blazers wanted a good young team without malcontents. Hence, Steve and Z-Bo were sent packing.

Why did Stevie get traded from Houston? From Wikipedia:

"Ultimately, when coach Jeff Van Gundy sought to make Yao the focus of the Rockets' offensive attack, Francis became disgruntled, leading to the end of his tenure with the club."

Francis wasn't willing to give up his #1 spot, so he whined and pouted and got sent away.

I heard it on the radio and in the news all the time in O-Town. Steve was constantly whining and butting heads with Brian Hill. Why was he traded from the Magic? One highlight, from Wikipedia again:

"On January 12, 2006, Francis was suspended indefinitely by the Magic for reportedly refusing to re-enter a game during the waning minutes of a blowout loss."

That was the last we heard of him in O-Town.

And the Knicks, well, like I said, I think he gave up at that point.

I simply just don't understand all the hype for Steve Francis on this board. Almost everybody is saying their team wants him to rejuvenate his team. Steve Francis is not a good player any more, but he still has the same bad attitude he had when he refused to play for Vancouver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artificial
That's his career low. and I gave you his career average. you really want to go into that?

You got to see him live in one game in Orlando. Great, I envy you. But that doesn't means by far that you know a lot of Steve.

Then, your logic is flawed. Portland is a young team in rebuilding mode, so they want young players. Why would they keep him, even if he could contribute? They have Brandon Roy, and Steve would obviously have mixed roles with Roy. Not that I necessarily agree with the move, but Portland paid 30 mill to open minutes for their best player as of now. Or you want to say Zach Randolph can't contribute either and that's why Portland traded him for a player that plays the same position as two of their core players.

Didn't whine in Houston nor in Orlando. He put up stats in Orlando, though the team sucked balls. And yes, it was mostly his fault. But I don't recall him whining about that.

I completely agree in that Steve hasn't played nearly the level he had when he was in Houston once he got out of there. He played so well that when he was traded, it was for freakin TMac. Once out, he put up the stats in Orlando, but not the wins. But you just can't blame Francis for the mess in NY. And for the locker room cancer, where you got that from? I remember teammates speaking pretty well of Francis. In Houston he did great. In Orlando he got close with Howard, and tried to mentor Nelson. Not sure about NYK.

Granted, Francis isn't the greatest player. Not a good ball distributor by any means. Have had a lot of dumb moves literally since the moment he was drafted. But he isn't exactly worthless. If there's a positive in his game, is that he always plays his heart out. He is 30 years old, and he should still have something left on the tank, and I want to see that.

If you want to see Francis' NBA career remain as dead as it is now, fine. If you think he's done, fine. Just don't act as if he was always worthless. I just want to see if he can revive his career.
Optimus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 02:00 PM   #37
niko
I Run NY.

niko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElPigto
What truth?

He has played with some crappy knicks teams who have a hell load of guards that have the same mindset. What the hell do you expect?

Francis still has the ability to be a contributor to any team. He might have lost a bit of athleticism but he is still at a good age to redeem himself for the past couple of years.

He isn't the locker room cancer you declare he is either. He always plays his heart out and although he does dribble a lot, he is willing to adapt to a coaches needs even though he struggles. Under JVG his stats took a dip because of JVG needs.

You obviously know nothing about Steve Francis, and I'm tired of people pretending they know something.

The Knicks had a time where they needed him to play last year, had like no other guards, and he would have the ball the majority of the time. What happened? He pretty much quit on the game for a snubbed toe or something. He gave up.

When he wasn't doing that, his ballhandling was awful (amazingly awful), he couldn't shoot straight, would go barreling into people, etc.

He sucks now. I'm not sure what it will take for people to see this.
niko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 02:03 PM   #38
Optimus Prime

Optimus Prime is considered somewhat coolOptimus Prime is considered somewhat cool

Apparently more proof than I can offer, unfortunately.

Some guy said he saw Stevie Franchise dribble around in a circle and then fall down injured. I really hope there is a YouTube of this...

One of the other reasons he was shipped out of Orlando was because he was getting a smaller role on the team, and he pouted. Then he just flat out refused to listen to his coach.

It wasn't pretty. And it's not the first time he's done it either...

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
The Knicks had a time where they needed him to play last year, had like no other guards, and he would have the ball the majority of the time. What happened? He pretty much quit on the game for a snubbed toe or something. He gave up.

When he wasn't doing that, his ballhandling was awful (amazingly awful), he couldn't shoot straight, would go barreling into people, etc.

He sucks now. I'm not sure what it will take for people to see this.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:23 PM   #39
hawkfan
Jeff Teague Fan

hawkfan is starting to rub some people the wrong way

If he wants to win, he will go to Miami and be the sixth man for Miami.

If he is really gay, then he will head to the Clippers.
hawkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 03:05 PM   #40
Knoe Struh Damus
I Knew I'd Type This

Knoe Struh Damus has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Z-Bo had more than attitude problems. He had off court issues, and the Blazers wanted a good young team without malcontents. Hence, Steve and Z-Bo were sent packing.

And just about everyone has bashed Portland for making that move, just because a team doesn't want a player, doesn't mean they were right not to.

Quote:

"Ultimately, when coach Jeff Van Gundy sought to make Yao the focus of the Rockets' offensive attack, Francis became disgruntled, leading to the end of his tenure with the club."

Ah, wikipedia. The haven of basketball news. The reason Francis was traded was to acquire Tracy McGrady. Heard of him?

As for Orlando, that team was headed for the playoffs until they stupidly traded Mobley for a washed-up Doug Christie.
Knoe Struh Damus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 03:07 PM   #41
SCREWstonRockets
Houston Texan

SCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected posterSCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected posterSCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected posterSCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:

Francis wasn't willing to give up his #1 spot, so he whined and pouted and got sent away.

Yeah, quote Wikipedia where anyone and everyone can change the profile. Sorry, not good enough. Unless you watched every game of Steve's last season in Houston (or atleast followed closely, which i doubt since you quoted Wiki), you have no room to speak on it. Steve made it a point to defer to Yao in his last season here. He sacrificed lots of his game to fit JVG's style and you can see how his points dipped in that year. Obviously, Yao was still scratching the surface but he did everything he could to help his big man.

All that "Francis was mad because JVG wanted the team to run through Yao" theory is complete bullsh!t. He loved Yao as much as Mobley and truly wanted to stay in Houston with the big guy. There is a reason why he nicknamed Yao, "The Dynasty". And it's not because he didn't like the idea of running the offense through Yao.

Did you forget how he took that team to the playoffs? He did it with teammates like Cato, Whetherspoon, Mo Taylor, Jim Jackson, Eric Piakowski, Scott Padget, Moochie Norris, a Young Boki and the only other players worth anything, Cat Mobley and Yao Ming. Not to mention he averaged damn near a triple double in that series and we almost pulled off a upset against the Hall of Fame Lakers team.
SCREWstonRockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 03:16 PM   #42
Optimus Prime

Yeah, Wikipedia is what it is. I was just quoting my source. It's not really where anyone can change anything now. Especially after that news story about how some dude edited himself to be a multimillion dollar tycoon but he was some unemployed community college student. They have gotten stricter with all the negative press. Still, it's Wikipedia, but it's good for general info...

You're right, I really don't know much about the Rockets, especially when Stevie was there. But I do know a lot about Stevie with the Magic. He whined about being less of the focus in Orlando. Seems to fit his character.

But Point is, he hasn't shown any brilliance in a long time, and he has caused problems with his team in the past, on multiple occasions. I see no reason why any of that has changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREWstonRockets
Yeah, quote Wikipedia where anyone and everyone can change the profile. Sorry, not good enough. Unless you watched every game of Steve's last season in Houston (or atleast followed closely, which i doubt since you quoted Wiki), you have no room to speak on it. Steve made it a point to defer to Yao in his last season here. He sacrificed lots of his game to fit JVG's style and you can see how his points dipped in that year. Obviously, Yao was still scratching the surface but he did everything he could to help his big man.

All that "Francis was mad because JVG wanted the team to run through Yao" theory is complete bullsh!t. He loved Yao as much as Mobley and truly wanted to stay in Houston with the big guy. There is a reason why he nicknamed Yao, "The Dynasty". And it's not because he didn't like the idea of running the offense through Yao.

Did you forget how he took that team to the playoffs? He did it with teammates like Cato, Whetherspoon, Mo Taylor, Jim Jackson, Eric Piakowski, Scott Padget, Moochie Norris, a Young Boki and the only other players worth anything, Cat Mobley and Yao Ming. Not to mention he averaged damn near a triple double in that series and we almost pulled off a upset against the Hall of Fame Lakers team.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:46 PM   #43
nba_55
Searching a new team

nba_55 is considered somewhat coolnba_55 is considered somewhat cool

Rockets is Steve s first choice and the Rockets also want him.
nba_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 04:00 PM   #44
HaNdLe ThE RoCk
NBA All-star

HaNdLe ThE RoCk has decent reputationHaNdLe ThE RoCk has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe24Bryant
His career defining moments as a Knick!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=pEsi9YTzHqI

wow, when he made that shot.....
HaNdLe ThE RoCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 04:21 PM   #45
Y2Gezee
Troll spotting pro

Y2Gezee is a pretty well-respected posterY2Gezee is a pretty well-respected posterY2Gezee is a pretty well-respected poster

I don't see why teams shouldn't be "clammoring" over Steve. In Orlando I think he was putting up allstar numbers. Hell he was an allstar. In NY he was brought there to be a backup basically and they are so guard heavy that it is impossible for him to get his normal numbers. If he weren't "The Franchise" those would be good role player numbers.

He's only 30, he's not a Artest like Cancer, I don't think he's a cancer at all. And I think he's still able put up great numbers. He'll be an extra creator, and scorer big time for any team that needs him. And the Rockets/Heat both need a true 3rd scorer that they can count on everynight. And I think being in NY and not a main guy shows that he's not the type to throw a monkey wrench into the wheel and try and force himself to be THE main player.
Y2Gezee is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: