Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2007, 08:41 PM   #1
funkylikemonkey
Football In The Groin
 
funkylikemonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: EZboard Supporter
Posts: 1,628
Default Why did the Bucks draft Yi?

I'm not even taking into account the fact that Yi said that he didn't want to play there and they still drafted him, but did they draft him because he was the best player available? Or did they draft him for the business aspect of things, thinking that with all the Chinese fans, Milwaukee would become a bigger market?
funkylikemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 08:43 PM   #2
bigkingsfan
Gif-ted
 
bigkingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Land of 1 NBA Championship*
Posts: 12,051
Default Re: Why did the Bucks draft Yi?

Hype + marketing buzz
bigkingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 08:43 PM   #3
BankShot
5-time NBA All-Star
 
BankShot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 11,360
Default Re: Why did the Bucks draft Yi?

He was the best player available, and theoretically fulfilled a need for the Bucks (small forward)

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkylikemonkey
I'm not even taking into account the fact that Yi said that he didn't want to play there and they still drafted him, but did they draft him because he was the best player available? Or did they draft him for the business aspect of things, thinking that with all the Chinese fans, Milwaukee would become a bigger market?
BankShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 08:44 PM   #4
Agent_Zero
Great college starter
 
Agent_Zero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,431
Default Re: Why did the Bucks draft Yi?

Yeah, someone said earlier, he was the best player available for them at that spot.
Agent_Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 08:45 PM   #5
Fudge
ISH Bully
 
Fudge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 21,076
Default Re: Why did the Bucks draft Yi?

Bucks needed a Small Forward? I think you mean Power, BankShot. Because last time I checked, they have about 2 starter-material players. Recently signed Desmond Mason and Bobby Simmons likely to be coming back.

They despirately needed a scorer downlow, a player who can shoot the perimeter shot other than Redd and MoMo, and I guess he was the best available pick.
Fudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 08:46 PM   #6
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 14,986
Default Re: Why did the Bucks draft Yi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkylikemonkey
I'm not even taking into account the fact that Yi said that he didn't want to play there and they still drafted him, but did they draft him because he was the best player available? Or did they draft him for the business aspect of things, thinking that with all the Chinese fans, Milwaukee would become a bigger market?

Gold deposits were found just outside of Milwaukee as early as 2005. More Chinese in Milwaukee = more gold being transported out of mines quicker than you can say "fwied Wice."

As the saying goes, practice makes perfect and the Chinese have had plenty of practice.

http://planet99.com/milwaukee/restau...mcdonalds.html
i seen hippos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 08:46 PM   #7
funkylikemonkey
Football In The Groin
 
funkylikemonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: EZboard Supporter
Posts: 1,628
Default Re: Why did the Bucks draft Yi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BankShot
He was the best player available, and theoretically fulfilled a need for the Bucks (small forward)

No way Yi plays Small Foward at that size and if they did need a Small Foward, I feel that there were better choices available, but I'm not the GM.
funkylikemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 08:51 PM   #8
BankShot
5-time NBA All-Star
 
BankShot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 11,360
Default Re: Why did the Bucks draft Yi?

No. I mean SF.

First off, at the time of drafting Yi, Desmond Mason wasn't a Buck nor was there any chatter of him signing with the Bucks. I'd hardly even consider Mason a SF as he's only 6'5"

Second, Bobby Simmons missed the entire last year with an ankle injury, so some insurance is definatly needed if he doesn't return to form or at all.

Third, they've got four capable bigs on the roster as is; Bogut, Villanueva, Skinner, and Gadzuric.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudge
Bucks needed a Small Forward? I think you mean Power, BankShot. Because last time I checked, they have about 2 starter-material players. Recently signed Desmond Mason and Bobby Simmons likely to be coming back.
BankShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 08:52 PM   #9
BankShot
5-time NBA All-Star
 
BankShot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 11,360
Default Re: Why did the Bucks draft Yi?

Forget about his height (not equivalent to size) because he's relatively a twig, and would get killed banging down low in the post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkylikemonkey
No way Yi plays Small Foward at that size and if they did need a Small Foward, I feel that there were better choices available, but I'm not the GM.
BankShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 09:15 PM   #10
Fudge
ISH Bully
 
Fudge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 21,076
Default Re: Why did the Bucks draft Yi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BankShot
No. I mean SF.

First off, at the time of drafting Yi, Desmond Mason wasn't a Buck nor was there any chatter of him signing with the Bucks. I'd hardly even consider Mason a SF as he's only 6'5"

Second, Bobby Simmons missed the entire last year with an ankle injury, so some insurance is definatly needed if he doesn't return to form or at all.

Third, they've got four capable bigs on the roster as is; Bogut, Villanueva, Skinner, and Gadzuric.
Mason, is small. I'll give you that much, but that's like saying Brand should clearly be considered as a SF or SG, just because of his height. Mason's skillset isn't exactly narrow as the other legit SG's in the league where they possess a NBA-ready jumpshot or other guard aspects, which he doesn't have. Relies on his athleticism to get to the paint and feed off of that to get you the points. Irrellevent, I know. Moving on.

As for Yi, regardless of whether they had a SF or not, main reason was to get a 'big' man(closest thing; other than Noah) who could score inside and out, (which isn't Noah at all). They abruptly relied on players deep down their bench to contribute while Villa. was injured for half of the season. i.e. Gadzuric, Elyasova, Skinner. Hell, they would sometimes go small and place Ruben or Charlie Bell starting at the 4.
Fudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 09:17 PM   #11
sixerfan3511
Local High School Star
 
sixerfan3511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,697
Default Re: Why did the Bucks draft Yi?

they drafted him on value, because he was possibly the 3rd best talent in the draft. It made no sense considering they probably have the softest front court in the league and 2 guys play his position, both of whom are young and big pieces of their franchise. They should have taken Brewer so they don't to settle on having Mason as their SF, dumb pick
sixerfan3511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 09:19 PM   #12
HaNdLe ThE RoCk
NBA All-star
 
HaNdLe ThE RoCk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: the garden
Posts: 9,415
Default Re: Why did the Bucks draft Yi?

Wasn't Brandon Wright still available.

Bogut
Wright
Villanueva
Redd
Williams

You already knew Yi didn't wanna be a Buck.
HaNdLe ThE RoCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 09:19 PM   #13
BankShot
5-time NBA All-Star
 
BankShot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 11,360
Default Re: Why did the Bucks draft Yi?

Bad move there buddy. Brand has the prototypical PF game; back to the basket moves, excellent short-mid range jumper, rebounds like a maniac, and is excellent at blocking shots.

Mason, on the other hand, would have difficulty starting next to Redd and Villanueva, because Redd is too small and defensively deficient to guard the majority of offensive-minded SF's in the league, and Villanueva is too stone-footed to do the same.

Sure we can say he could play small forward, but would you really want him to play SF on your team?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudge
Mason, is small. I'll give you that much, but that's like saying Brand should clearly be considered as a SF or SG, just because of his height.
BankShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 09:20 PM   #14
ReturnOfJimi
Good High School Starter
 
ReturnOfJimi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 741
Default Re: Why did the Bucks draft Yi?

I think it was political stubborness on the part of Senator Kohl (D-WI) that lead to this.

I have absolutely no evidence to support it!

Everyone knows they needed Noah.
ReturnOfJimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 09:21 PM   #15
BankShot
5-time NBA All-Star
 
BankShot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 11,360
Default Re: Why did the Bucks draft Yi?

Could you explain how the politics of a Wisconsonian senator affects the decision of Yi to deny the Buck's contract? Just curious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturnOfJimi
I think it was political stubborness on the part of Senator Kohl (D-WI) that lead to this.

I have absolutely no evidence to support it!

Everyone knows they needed Noah.
BankShot is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:48 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy