Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 07-18-2007, 08:21 PM   #16
sixerfan3511
Local High School Star

sixerfan3511 has decent reputation
Default Re: Why did the Bucks draft Yi?

Mason IS a small forward. He's 6-5 220, thats like saying Patterson isn't a SF. They have no jump shot, are extremely athletic(Mason more so), and are really strong for their height. He will have no problems playing next to Redd, Villanueva and Bogut, if anything he will thrive because he is a hard nosed player, and he can post, unlike any of those 3 guys
sixerfan3511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 08:22 PM   #17
Fudge
psychotic&iconic

Fudge posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryFudge posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryFudge posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BankShot
Sure we can say he could play small forward, but would you really want him to play SF on your team?
Honestly, no. I was just pointing out how height (size or anything of that nature) shouldn't get in the way of basing someone on their position of play.
Fudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 08:23 PM   #18
ReturnOfJimi
Good High School Starter

ReturnOfJimi has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Could you explain how the politics of a Wisconsonian senator affects the decision of Yi to deny the Buck's contract? Just curious.

Well, Senator Kohl actually owns the Bucks.

no, I don't mean pwns the Bucks.

...and I believe I clearly absolved myself of all logic obligations with this statement, anyway....

Quote:
I have absolutely no evidence to support it!
ReturnOfJimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 08:24 PM   #19
BankShot
5-time NBA All-Star

BankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Patterson is definatly a SF, as he brings physicality to defensive that trumps the 3" deficit between himself and his opponent. He also has the ability to score consistently in the post by bullying his defender on the block to the point that he started at PF for some games last year.

Would you play Desmond Mason as a PF? probably not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixerfan3511
Mason IS a small forward. He's 6-5 220, thats like saying Patterson isn't a SF. They have no jump shot, are extremely athletic(Mason more so), and are really strong for their height. He will have no problems playing next to Redd, Villanueva and Bogut, if anything he will thrive because he is a hard nosed player, and he can post, unlike any of those 3 guys
BankShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 08:26 PM   #20
sixerfan3511
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by BankShot
Would you play Desmond Mason as a PF? probably not.

definitely not...unless it's against Marion or Jamison
Old 07-18-2007, 08:27 PM   #21
BankShot
5-time NBA All-Star

BankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

even then it's a huge mismatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixerfan3511
definitely not...unless it's against Marion or Jamison
BankShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 09:00 PM   #22
Y2Gezee
Troll spotting pro

Y2Gezee is a pretty well-respected posterY2Gezee is a pretty well-respected posterY2Gezee is a pretty well-respected poster

if the Bucks drafted Yi to be a sf, then they are working to be a worse franchise than I thought. are you kidding me a guy 7'0 and possibly growing to be a sf? He would stand 0 chance defending the position. Villanueva would be better at sf, and he'd be terrible.

Considering there were many players they could've went after who could play sf in the draft left, they obviously just drafted him in hopes he could bring a bigger audience to them. And its backfired, because they don't need him, he realizes that his minutes could be in trouble and he already told them he didn't want to be there. It was just a terrible decision by the Bucks, they thought he was bluffing, but...
Y2Gezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 09:05 PM   #23
Mean Joe Bean
Decent playground baller

Mean Joe Bean has an OK reputation so far

Yi and the Chinese officials backing him are straight-up hoes. But then again, the Bucks have no one to blame but themselves. They already knew Yi wouldn't play for them but they drafted him anyway.. they created their own mess, now they gotta sleep in it.. Glad they wasted a pick.. idiots..
Mean Joe Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 10:56 PM   #24
brwnman

brwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputation

I know every team has the right to draft anyone entering the draft, but why draft a player that has made it clear that he's not going to play for you before the draft? I think that's the answer we need, rather than why Yi doesn't want to play for the bucks...
brwnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 11:21 PM   #25
adamcz
Bucks fan

adamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cool

Well, Bucks didn't exactly have the #1 pick this year like they had hoped.

By the time #6 rolled around, the "sure thing" players were all gone. Oden, Durant, Horford, Conley, Green.

Brewer is a role playing SF who's only NBA skill is defense, but who is too small to guard NBA SFs. He'll probably grow into it and have a solid career, but I don't see a future star, and I know Larry Harris didn't think his defense would translate to the NBA.

Wright has a lot of potential, but also plenty of bust ability. I think he was the only other one considered for the pick. Compared to Wright, Yi has more developed moves, and is a little bigger.

Noah also said he didn't want to play for Milwaukee, so I don't know why he is being brought up as an alternative.

The Bucks need a star player. Yi was easily the one guy left with most chance to become that. You need a star to have a chance at a title, so don't tell me the Bucks should be content with Corey Brewer.
adamcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 11:26 PM   #26
brwnman

brwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputation

well now the bucks are left with nothing as Yi's value is not all that much as he wants out and other teams know it... so the bucks should've been content with brewer ...
Old 07-18-2007, 11:28 PM   #27
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

knickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

The Bucks did what any team would do in their position.....pick the best available.

The problem is that the "best available" has no intention of playing for them.

Maybe they can sign him and trade him for a player who could help them.

That may be the ultimate goal.
knickscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 11:34 PM   #28
brwnman

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickscity
The Bucks did what any team would do in their position.....pick the best available.

The problem is that the "best available" has no intention of playing for them.

Maybe they can sign him and trade him for a player who could help them.

That may be the ultimate goal.

to me, that's just a bad strategy...
Old 07-18-2007, 11:43 PM   #29
sixerfan3511
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamcz
Well, Bucks didn't exactly have the #1 pick this year like they had hoped.

By the time #6 rolled around, the "sure thing" players were all gone. Oden, Durant, Horford, Conley, Green.

Brewer is a role playing SF who's only NBA skill is defense, but who is too small to guard NBA SFs. He'll probably grow into it and have a solid career, but I don't see a future star, and I know Larry Harris didn't think his defense would translate to the NBA.

Wright has a lot of potential, but also plenty of bust ability. I think he was the only other one considered for the pick. Compared to Wright, Yi has more developed moves, and is a little bigger.

Noah also said he didn't want to play for Milwaukee, so I don't know why he is being brought up as an alternative.

The Bucks need a star player. Yi was easily the one guy left with most chance to become that. You need a star to have a chance at a title, so don't tell me the Bucks should be content with Corey Brewer.

i wouldn't say that Brewer is only a role player and that his only skill is defense. And i wouldn't necessarily say that the 5 players you mentioned are the only "sure" things. If they wanted steadiness at the SF spot they should have taken Thornton, and although it'd be a stretch it would fit them perfectly
Old 07-19-2007, 09:52 AM   #30
adamcz
Bucks fan

adamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cool

Brewer weighs less than I do, can't really handle the ball, and is a spotty shooter. He was a great college defender, but he weighs half as much as the guys he'll be defending in the pros. He'll be a good role player someday, but he's no future superstar.
adamcz is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: