Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 07-19-2007, 09:59 AM   #31
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Why did the Bucks draft Yi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BankShot
Could you explain how the politics of a Wisconsonian senator affects the decision of Yi to deny the Buck's contract? Just curious.

Kohl owns the Bucks
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 01:08 PM   #32
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year

Da KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputation

I think the main thing that has people stumped is not why draft Yi; but why draft him with the intention of keeping him? Team Yi made it clear from jumpstreet Milwaukee was not an option. I, along with many others, assumed when they announced the pick that he would be traded by the end of the night.

As soon as the pick was announced they should have working the phones. Maybe Philly would have been willing to part with Rodney Carney/Louis Williams and the 21st pick for Yi. Maybe Charlotte and the LA Clippers would have been willing to join in a three team with the Charlotte getting Corey Maggette, Yi (and probably a draft pick) going to the Clippers while Sean May comes to Milwaukee.

Now Milwaukee has little chance of getting that sort of value for Yi.
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 01:22 PM   #33
Sharas
Great college starter

Sharas is considered somewhat coolSharas is considered somewhat coolSharas is considered somewhat cool

although i really don't approve what yi, his agent, club and even chinese government are doing, it was a bad decision for bucks.

even from basketball standpoint, i don't get it. at all. first, IMO yi has greatest "bust-factor" of all guys drafted in top ten. i'm really not sold on him from his international games i watched.
second, bucks traded last summer for charlie villanueva, supposed to be their starting pf of future. they're both young and developing, so i don't really think there are minutes for both of them. (in that aspect, chinese may be actually right that bucks aren't right situation for yi to develop).
Sharas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 01:24 PM   #34
sixerfan3511
Local High School Star

sixerfan3511 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da KO King
I think the main thing that has people stumped is not why draft Yi; but why draft him with the intention of keeping him? Team Yi made it clear from jumpstreet Milwaukee was not an option. I, along with many others, assumed when they announced the pick that he would be traded by the end of the night.

As soon as the pick was announced they should have working the phones. Maybe Philly would have been willing to part with Rodney Carney/Louis Williams and the 21st pick for Yi. Maybe Charlotte and the LA Clippers would have been willing to join in a three team with the Charlotte getting Corey Maggette, Yi (and probably a draft pick) going to the Clippers while Sean May comes to Milwaukee.

I would deal Carney, Willie Green, Bobby Jones, Hunter, Byars, probly Jason Smith...any of those for Yi
sixerfan3511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 01:42 PM   #35
Y2Gezee
Troll spotting pro

Y2Gezee is a pretty well-respected posterY2Gezee is a pretty well-respected posterY2Gezee is a pretty well-respected poster

I think the Bucks can still get similar or the same value for Yi as before. Just because teams know he wants to go isn't gonna hurt in this situation. The reason being that there are a lot of teams that would and probably will bid for him. If it were just one team that wanted him, then his value would've dropped. I think there are plenty of teams that can package together players from this draft, current players on rookie contracts or future picks for Yi. He still will add a big Asian audience to a market like Philly/Chi/or the Cali teams and some others. Again, they don't need his position of pf/c or whatever he'll be, so that pretty much leaves their options open to what type player they are looking for so this should be easy. They should look for a good young player that can defend in the paint whether current or go for future picks to wait for one.
Y2Gezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 02:08 PM   #36
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year

Da KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2Gezee
I think the Bucks can still get similar or the same value for Yi as before. Just because teams know he wants to go isn't gonna hurt in this situation. The reason being that there are a lot of teams that would and probably will bid for him. If it were just one team that wanted him, then his value would've dropped. I think there are plenty of teams that can package together players from this draft, current players on rookie contracts or future picks for Yi. He still will add a big Asian audience to a market like Philly/Chi/or the Cali teams and some others. Again, they don't need his position of pf/c or whatever he'll be, so that pretty much leaves their options open to what type player they are looking for so this should be easy. They should look for a good young player that can defend in the paint whether current or go for future picks to wait for one.

I have to disagree. The return the Bucks can get on Yi is not nearly as high as it was on draft night.

I like Yi but he's still an unknown at this point. You really don't know what you will be getting from him four years from now outside of hopeful projections.

The Bucks let the situation drag out into the Free Agent period. Any team considering Yi will also be looking at free agents who they know can do some of what they hope Yi might do down the line. So offers for Yi will be limited cause teams will look at proven players first.

By not trading him on draft night the Bucks can not trade for a fellow rookie. At this point the Bucks would be able to move Yi for another player drafted this year until December. No team is going to give up on a guy one month into his season.

So his value has in fact gone down.
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 02:24 PM   #37
adamcz
Bucks fan

adamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da KO King
Rodney Carney/Louis Williams and the 21st pick for Yi.
Wow sounds like the cornerstone of a future dynasty. Too bad you aren't our GM.
Quote:
while Sean May comes to Milwaukee.
That would be amazing. #5 pick traded for Ray Allen, #8 pick traded for Jason Richardson, and the Bucks end up with Sean May.
Quote:
And now you're just being stupid. First of all, the Bucks aren't trading Yi. Second of all, you think they stand "little chance" of getting a player like Sean May for him? Right.
adamcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 02:27 PM   #38
adamcz
Bucks fan

adamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
By not trading him on draft night the Bucks can not trade for a fellow rookie. At this point the Bucks would be able to move Yi for another player drafted this year until December. No team is going to give up on a guy one month into his season.
Do you really believe this or are you just lying to try and win an argument?
Old 07-19-2007, 03:55 PM   #39
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Rodney Carney/Louis Williams and the 21st pick for Yi.

Thats way too much unless you're saying one of the two (Carney or Williams) and Jason Smith (21rst pick)?
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 04:11 PM   #40
adamcz
Bucks fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Thats way too much unless you're saying one of the two (Carney or Williams) and Jason Smith (21rst pick)?
Philly did offer all of their draft picks. 12+21+30. It's the only confirmed offer for the #6 pick prior to the draft, and some Bucks fans - I'd say a small minority - are mad that the team didn't take it. I think history will say that the Bucks made the right choice though.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:16 PM   #41
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamcz
Philly did offer all of their draft picks. 12+21+30. It's the only confirmed offer for the #6 pick prior to the draft, and some Bucks fans - I'd say a small minority - are mad that the team didn't take it. I think history will say that the Bucks made the right choice though.

Thought it was only the 12th and 21rst picks and maybe a player. All 3 picks for Yi? Eh, I mean I wouldnt mind him but thats a bit much. Bucks probably did make the right choice...but if that trade went down. Who would u have drafted with the 3 picks?
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 05:00 PM   #42
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

DeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamcz
Well, Bucks didn't exactly have the #1 pick this year like they had hoped.

By the time #6 rolled around, the "sure thing" players were all gone. Oden, Durant, Horford, Conley, Green.

Brewer is a role playing SF who's only NBA skill is defense, but who is too small to guard NBA SFs. He'll probably grow into it and have a solid career, but I don't see a future star, and I know Larry Harris didn't think his defense would translate to the NBA.

Wright has a lot of potential, but also plenty of bust ability.
I think he was the only other one considered for the pick. Compared to Wright, Yi has more developed moves, and is a little bigger.

Noah also said he didn't want to play for Milwaukee, so I don't know why he is being brought up as an alternative.

The Bucks need a star player. Yi was easily the one guy left with most chance to become that. You need a star to have a chance at a title, so don't tell me the Bucks should be content with Corey Brewer.

How can you defend Yi, while listing the bold.

Yi's only skill is offense, which is highly suspect I might add, and there's no way he can defend NBA SF's.

If there's one guy screaming bust in this draft it was Yi, not Wright.

And Noah didn't want to play for the bucks, but Yi does? How did that work out for them?
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 05:04 PM   #43
sixerfan3511
Local High School Star

sixerfan3511 has decent reputation

i think we only offered 12 and 21 for the 6th pick
sixerfan3511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 05:07 PM   #44
dhenk
Why do you care?

dhenk has an OK reputation so far

Because they know that "Yi in the NBA" is a political thing.Chicago,GS,Boston...Milwaukee now holds all the cards.
The NBA wants Yi in their league,so I guess Milwaukee took the risk and hopes that Yi`s destined team will overpay for him...
dhenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 06:07 PM   #45
t-mac#1
I hit open layups

t-mac#1 has an OK reputation so far

They drafted him because he was the highest commodiy. If they don't get YI to play in Milwaulkee. He will be easy to trade and has the most value.
t-mac#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: