Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Memphis Grizzlies Forum

Memphis Grizzlies Forum Memphis Grizzlies forum - Memphis Grizzlies message board

Old 07-23-2007, 09:25 PM   #16
jailer
MillionDollarException

Default Re: new rumors

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Italian
I think the Grizz will get around 35-40 wins assuming they stay healthy. They aren't much different from the Grizz teams that made the playoffs for 3(?) straight years.

The point guard play going to play a big part in how good of a season they have. Conley and Lowry are both very young and neither of them have lead a team at the NBA level. As long as they can run the offense and distribute the ball effectively then the Grizzlies should get around 35-40 wins.

are you saying at best,or that this as long as they are healthy.
jailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 11:04 PM   #17
The Italian
Defense? Whats that?

As long as they stay healthy, which I stated here:

Quote:
wins assuming they stay healthy

While I could've worded it better, but I meant as long as they stay healthy not at best.
The Italian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 03:19 PM   #18
jailer
MillionDollarException

They just signed casey jacobson.Woot woot.Alert the commisoner and just hand the trophy over now.Wow hopefully the guy remembers how to play.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:37 PM   #19
kshutts1
Great college starter

I'll start this post by saying I'm a Bulls fan, and I have a few trades, but I want a Grizzly point of view, to see if they're feasible trades.

1) Grizz get: Noah, Nocioni, Ben Gordon, next year's 1st round pick

Bulls get: Pau Gasol, Mike Miller, 2nd round pick

Reasons both team do this: Bulls want to win now, and this trade adds Pau Gasol and a good-shooting SG to an already formidable Bulls lineup.
Grizzlies are building for the future and they'd get an extra first round pick next year, Noah and Gordon, all 3 of which should set them up very nicely for a few years down the road. Aren't you salivating at the thought of Conley, Gordon, Noah, Warrick, Gay and another (likely) top 5 pick, etc etc?

Sticking point: As with the 2nd trade I"ll propose, I'm not taking salaries into account, so they may not match. If salaries don't match, it wouldn't be hard to throw in cap filler along the lines of Malik Allen or something.
Also, Gasol and Miller are two pretty good players, and on paper the Grizzlies are getting shafted. But down the line, Gordon should be better than Miller, Noah should be darn good, a la Ben Wallace/Bruce Bowen/Shawn Marion without the shot, Nocioni is a more than legit role player in the same way as Shane Battier and the draft pick is nice.

2nd trade:
Grizz get: Noah, Nocioni, same 1st round pick
Bulls get: Gasol, 2nd round pick

Basically, just take out Gordon and Miller.
Why teams do this: same as above, really, only the Grizzlies hold on to Miller who has proven to be a very capable and versatile player for them (and if the Bulls don't give up Gordon, they don't need Miller).

Sticking points: Again, on paper that is underselling Gasol, just like the last trade, but Noah has some serious long-term potential and Nocioni is a middle-class man's version of Shane Battier. If giving up the 2nd round pick is what makes you say no, that can be dropped. The most I would give up in the above trade for Gasol would be to add an additional first round pick (for two drafts from now) or to throw in a Duhon style player.

So I'd like to know what Grizzly nation thinks, if you don't mind. Just trying to figure out ways to help both of our teams: help the Grizzlies rebuild while helping the Bulls win the title in the next 3 years.
kshutts1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 03:49 PM   #20
jailer
MillionDollarException

I dont think there bad ideas.Its just that,the bulls had a chance to get pau last year.Now that we got his best friend in juan carlos.They have shown that pau is there guy.I wouldnt think pau would get traded this season.Now if they are doing bad again then pau will become available.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:58 PM   #21
kshutts1
Great college starter

Thanks for the quick feedback.

The Navarro signing does throw a kink into my proposals, and I'm not saying that the deal is too good to be true for the Grizzlies (because it's not) but it is a good deal that will benefit them more in the long run (3-5 years) than keeping Gasol would. With Gasol, they have one star and a top 5 pick next year (after having a terrible season). Without Gasol, they have no real star, but two (Noah and Gordon - that's the trade I'd prefer) that many people consider stars-in-the-making plus two first rounders next year.

Granted, those two players aren't stars yet, so maybe this isn't a good argument, but I would bet that at least 28 of the NBA teams believe that Noah and Gordon are future All-Stars, so using that belief the Grizzlies would trade a current All-star (Gasol) and a borderline but not-quite-there all-star (Miller) for two players that are expected to be all-stars in the near future as well as an additional (or maybe even 2?) first round pick(s).
Old 08-08-2007, 06:50 PM   #22
jailer
MillionDollarException

Him I think gordon might make an allstar team or two.He is kinda like j-rich.He is obviously good enough to make the team but dosent.Noah I dont think will be an allstar. If he had that potential the grizz would have drafted him.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:17 PM   #23
poindexter
I hit open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailer
I dont think there bad ideas.Its just that,the bulls had a chance to get pau last year.Now that we got his best friend in juan carlos.They have shown that pau is there guy.I wouldnt think pau would get traded this season.Now if they are doing bad again then pau will become available.

True. Bulls had their chance but decided to go with Joe Smith/Noah instead.
Grizz decided to stay the course with Gasol and add his little buddy.
poindexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 09:30 PM   #24
kshutts1
Great college starter

They would have drafted Noah if they needed him.. but as long as they have Pau, Noah's not a need.

And for anyone that says the Bulls had their chance... that's not the point I'm trying to get at. I'm wondering if you consider the trades fair.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:31 AM   #25
berraco
Darko The Ripper

Frankly, I would never make any of these trades if I were the Grizzlies GM. I see easier to build a good team around a big man than around a shooter. Gordon will probably be an all-star in a near future, but Pierce is and look to what happened to Boston trying to build a team around him.
berraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 06:25 AM   #26
jailer
MillionDollarException

Yeah I wasnt saying do the trade.I was just saying that in terms of talent it is probably close.I wouldnt trade pau gasol.At least not in the nxt two seasons.I wouldnt be surprised if pau is an all star this year and the next.He is ready to explode and prove him self.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:49 AM   #27
berraco
Darko The Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailer
Yeah I wasnt saying do the trade.I was just saying that in terms of talent it is probably close.I wouldnt trade pau gasol.At least not in the nxt two seasons.I wouldnt be surprised if pau is an all star this year and the next.He is ready to explode and prove him self.

I was sure you wouldn't do the trade :) .
My post was a more general view on how to rebuild the team, but taking the advantage the example provided by the proposed trades. Dominating the paint is key in this league, so a very good big surrounded by normal/good perimeter players gives you more chances to victory than an incredible shooter and non-dominator players inside. Or at least I see it this way, but I'm more used to European basketball, which is a bit different to NBA games.

And I agree with you that Pau can be all star the next two years, because of his expected performance and considering KG is now in the East (which opens a wider door for him).
Old 08-09-2007, 04:59 PM   #28
jailer
MillionDollarException

Was amare an allstar last year.If so thats lame.Pau had bette numbers then marion and amare.But pau got no love.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:07 PM   #29
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

I doubt Pau is ever going to get all-star based on number of votes. He will only get in due to the coaches who pick him, if the coach doesn't need or want him, then he's not gonna get picked. It sucks but we can't do anything about it.
Kebab Stall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 06:11 AM   #30
berraco
Darko The Ripper

That was the final result for the balloting:

Kevin Garnett (Minn) 1,616,575; Tim Duncan (SA) 1,436,584; Carmelo Anthony (Den) 1,309,945; Dirk Nowitzki (Dal) 1,276,304; Shane Battier (Hou) 1,025,643; Shawn Marion (Pho) 551,173; Lamar Odom (LAL) 438,824; Josh Howard (Dal) 412,102; Pau Gasol (Mem) 364,459; Carlos Boozer (Utah) 359,882.

Remember last year was a tough season for Pau, with the injury at the beginning and all the trades affair. I think that reduced a lot the number of votes Pau received. I think this year he can beat Howar, Odom and Marion. BTW I'm suprised a lot about the results of Battier.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: