Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 07-20-2007, 08:13 AM   #1
kentatm
NBA Legend

kentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Exclamation Feds investigating NBA ref in mafia betting scam

Quote:
NBA IN A 'FIX'
FEDS PROBING REF IN MAFIA BET SCAM FOUL! This game may have been clean...

July 20, 2007 -- THE FBI is investigating an NBA referee who allegedly was betting on basketball games - including ones he was officiating during the past two seasons - as part of an organized-crime probe in the Big Apple, The Post has learned.

The investigation, which began more than a year ago, is zeroing in on blockbuster allegations that the referee was making calls that affected the point spread to guarantee that he - and the hoods who had their hooks in him - cashed in on large bets.

Federal agents are set to arrest the referee and a cadre of mobsters and their associates who lined their pockets, sources said.

"These are dangerous people [the referee] was involved with," a source said.

One source close to the probe counted the number of games on which the ref and his wiseguy buddies scored windfalls in the "double digits."

NBA Commissioner David Stern is aware of the investigation and has a report about the referee on his desk, another source said.

The official, whose name was withheld, allegedly wagered on games during the 2005-06 and 2006-07 NBA seasons.

James Margolin, an FBI spokesman, declined comment on the latest black eye for professional sports.

The sources indicated the referee apparently had a gambling problem, slipped into debt and fell prey to mob thugs.

"That's how he got himself into this predicament" by wagering with mob-connected bookies, one source said.

Professional basketball has remained largely unscathed by allegations of game-fixing, although college basketball has been rocked by several scandals involving point-shaving by players, but not officials.

One of the most recent was a Boston College point-shaving scam arranged in the 1980s by mobster Henry Hill, who bribed several players. Hill later became a government informant, and his life was depicted in the movie "GoodFellas."

Having a referee in their pockets provides a two-fold bonanza to game fixers.

Gamblers would be able to directly cash in by betting on games where they knew the point spread was compromised.

But having a ref in their pocket could prove even more lucrative to crooks in a bookmaking syndicate.

Bookmakers hope to encourage an equal amount of betting on each team and make their money on the "vigorish," which is typically 10 percent of a losing bet.

But armed with the inside information, the bookmaking syndicate could set an artificial point spread that would encourage large "layoff" bets from other bookies carrying too much action on one team, that were likely now to lose.

An FBI organized-crime squad in the bureau's flagship New York office is handling the case, but the referee traveled the country officiating various games on which he allegedly bet.

It was not determined which games were allegedly affected by the referee's actions, or how much money may have been won by him and his cohorts.

The FBI got wind of the scheme while conducting a separate mob investigation.

The most prominent American sport- gambling scandal in recent history involved Cincinnati Reds manager Pete Rose, who was banned from baseball in 1989 for betting on his own team.

Based largely on testimony of two Rose associates, Ron Peters and Paul Janszen, Major League Baseball determined that from 1985 through 1987, Rose bet on baseball, including 52 Reds games in 1987, at a minimum of $10,000 a game.

All of Rose's bets on Cincinnati were to win.

link

well this isnt good for Stern and company
kentatm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 08:20 AM   #2
chains5000
From Out Of Nowhere

chains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Feds investigating NBA ref in mafia betting scam

What's the problem on betting on your team winning?
chains5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 08:42 AM   #3
Darkess
High School Varsity 12th Man

Darkess has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by chains5000

When your team is the referees, it's a problem
Darkess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 08:44 AM   #4
chains5000
From Out Of Nowhere

chains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkess
When your team is the referees, it's a problem
Quote:
The most prominent American sport- gambling scandal in recent history involved Cincinnati Reds manager Pete Rose, who was banned from baseball in 1989 for betting on his own team.

Based largely on testimony of two Rose associates, Ron Peters and Paul Janszen, Major League Baseball determined that from 1985 through 1987, Rose bet on baseball, including 52 Reds games in 1987, at a minimum of $10,000 a game.

All of Rose's bets on Cincinnati were to win.
I was talking about this.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:44 AM   #5
gb8
Extra Cheese

gb8 has an OK reputation so far

This could really be bad for the nba.
gb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 08:51 AM   #6
Take Your Lumps
Ho Ho Ho

Take Your Lumps has a near all-star reputation hereTake Your Lumps has a near all-star reputation hereTake Your Lumps has a near all-star reputation hereTake Your Lumps has a near all-star reputation hereTake Your Lumps has a near all-star reputation hereTake Your Lumps has a near all-star reputation here

I think it was Joey Crawford, and that whole Duncan thing was just an easier way to explain his departure...

Or Violet Palmer...
Take Your Lumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 08:57 AM   #7
R.I.P.
NBA lottery pick

R.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

The mob made a fortune in the 2006 NBA finals.
R.I.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 09:09 AM   #8
adamcz
Bucks fan

adamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cool

If this gets reported by a real newspaper I'll buy it - could be an enormous case. Until then I'll hold judgement.
adamcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 10:01 AM   #9
John Starks
National High School Star

John Starks has an OK reputation so far

ESPN and the NY Post are reporting it - don't know if you're waiting on the Times.

We should really 'hold judgment" until there is a trial and conviction -- but since I have no patience and this news is disturbing --

Hang that ref! How dare he destroy the integrity of this sport!
John Starks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 10:10 AM   #10
DoubleTech
NBA lottery pick

DoubleTech is a pretty well-respected posterDoubleTech is a pretty well-respected posterDoubleTech is a pretty well-respected posterDoubleTech is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:

rose was able to find out information on his team and opposing teams that no other bettor could have access to. it gave rose an unfair advantage. i believe he even came out and said he bet against the Reds on occasion.
DoubleTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 10:22 AM   #11
chains5000
From Out Of Nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleTech
rose was able to find out information on his team and opposing teams that no other bettor could have access to. it gave rose an unfair advantage. i believe he even came out and said he bet against the Reds on occasion.
Betting against your him is different, but in favor? No problem
Old 07-20-2007, 10:30 AM   #12
John Starks
National High School Star

John Starks has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Take Your Lumps
I think it was Joey Crawford, and that whole Duncan thing was just an easier way to explain his departure...

Joey Crawford is not a bad call. He also reffed the disastrous Dall-Miami game with Wade's backcourt violation and Josh Howards' non-timeout.

The only thing against Crawford is that he's been reffing so long at such a high-level. If he really had a "gambling problem" wouldn't it have reared its head before 2005.
John Starks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 10:35 AM   #13
vert48
Can You?

vert48 is considered somewhat coolvert48 is considered somewhat coolvert48 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Betting against your him is different, but in favor? No problem
You can't possibly believe that.
vert48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 10:37 AM   #14
brantonli
In Morey We Trust!

brantonli has an incredible reputation herebrantonli has an incredible reputation herebrantonli has an incredible reputation herebrantonli has an incredible reputation herebrantonli has an incredible reputation herebrantonli has an incredible reputation herebrantonli has an incredible reputation herebrantonli has an incredible reputation here

Wow, I wonder how long could a guy who would determine a team's history through playoffs could still have the conscience to twist game results to further his own ends.......
brantonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 11:08 AM   #15
RandomBalla55
Local High School Star

RandomBalla55 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleTech

Agreed. Rose gets the scouting reports, lineups, etc.. and the other betters don't.

Betting on your team just ain't right. Betting against your team is low.

With that said, I wonder who it is. Hopefully the name comes out because I'm dying to dig back the NBA Finals '06 refs. That Finals was a complete effing joke.

Last edited by RandomBalla55 : 07-20-2007 at 11:12 AM.
RandomBalla55 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: