Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Seattle SuperSonics Forum

Seattle SuperSonics Forum Seattle Supersonics message board - sonics fan forum

Old 03-10-2008, 12:54 AM   #16
Weez65
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Weez65 has decent reputationWeez65 has decent reputation
Default Re: Garage Sale: News of the Sonics Move Out of Seattle

Great job with the updates RBP! I actually had not noticed this thread till now.

I need to go afk now. After skimming down your thread, and rereading the history of this thing as it unfolded...well i need to go calm myself down. ><
Weez65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 08:15 PM   #17
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

RainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

the drama continues:

Ratcheting up the pressure on the Legislature, Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer says his investment group's offer of $150 million in private money for a KeyArena expansion will go away if lawmakers don't act quickly. In a letter to Gov. Christine Gregoire and legislative leaders, Ballmer's group said lawmakers need to authorize a taxpayer contribution to the KeyArena project before the NBA Board of Governors meets next month to vote on Sonics owner Clay Bennett's request to move the team to Oklahoma City. Seattle Times

If no arena plan is passed by April 10, "we will need to go back to our other responsibilities and our offer will expire," said the letter signed by Ballmer, wireless mogul John Stanton, Seattle developer Matt Griffin and Costco CEO Jim Sinegal. Ballmer's group is offering to split the cost of a $300 million KeyArena renovation with the public. They're also willing to buy the Sonics or another NBA franchise to play there. Lawmakers are being pressured to authorize $75 million in car-rental and restaurant taxes in King County for the KeyArena project. Those taxes would not be new ó they are currently devoted to paying off the debt on Safeco Field. Seattle Times
RainierBeachPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 04:57 PM   #18
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

RainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I donít know if all of this ran in todayís Oklahoman, so hereís the entire Q&A with New Jersey Nets part owner and relocation committee member Lewis Katz. Q: What were your impressions of Oklahoma City coming in and what do you think now? A: I had no idea what Oklahoma was about. I thought I was going somewhere was there was plains and a lot of wind. Iíve never seen a better presentation in my life. Iíve been to a bunch of these relocation meetings. I never saw better support from the business and political and government community. Your mayor and your governor are both incredible. This is almost too unbelievable to believe that a community could be that supportive. A voting community of 69 to 31 to self-impose a tax for an arena, itís just beyond anybodyís wildest imagination that all this could be put together. Oklahoman

Q: What are the concerns from yourself and the other owners about relocating a team to a smaller market? Lewis Katz: Let me say this about small markets. Everybody keeps telling me that you think youíre a small market. Thereís an hour and a half between Tulsa and Oklahoma City. That hour and a half has 2 Ĺ million people or 70 percent of your state. Brooklyn, the fourth largest borough in America, has 2 Ĺ million people. This is not Oklahoma City. This is Oklahoma. And my view is 20 percent of your ticket sales came from the Tulsa market. I really didnít look at this as a small market. And I think the argument in the committee was that this is a state market with a history of people that love sports. Oklahoman

Katz: It doesnít help anybody to have a lame-duck team. Nobody should be in that position. It doesnít help Seattle. It doesnít help the ownership group here in Oklahoma. Itís not good for the league to have that. Thatís why a good settlement that makes economic sense to Seattle (makes sense). If you donít do that then itís spite in my judgment. Oklahoman
Old 03-28-2008, 05:45 PM   #19
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

Open to expansion?
During a conference call Thursday, NBA commissioner David Stern didn't rule out the possibility of Seattle receiving an expansion team if team chairman Clay Bennett moves the Sonics to Oklahoma City.

"In light of the swirling events and the continuing litigation and the to-and-fro with respect to the Sonics, I'd like to take the opportunity to impose a gag on myself and allow speculation to grow in whatever way is constructive," he said. "The one thing I would say is that we'd like to make it clear that the Sonics' proposed move is not a question of fan support, but an issue of arena capability and the path by which we got to the place where they ... proposed or applied to move.

"But I think that our history speaks for itself, and depending upon the circumstances under which we depart cities ó that has something to do with our ability and willingness and speed in returning."

Stern said the league's relocation committee will favorably recommend Bennett's proposal to the Board of Governors, and history suggests the NBA owners will not stand in his way. Two of the past three relocation applications received unanimous approval, and the other passed 28-1.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:25 AM   #20
sbuxsux
Can barely lace up my sneakers

sbuxsux has decent reputationsbuxsux has decent reputation
Arrow Re: Garage Sale: News of the Sonics Move Out of Seattle

RBP THANKS FOR ALL YOUR UPDATES - - YOU ARE AWESOME!!!

HERE'S ANOTHER UPDATE!!! http://saveoursonics.org/

THERE'S A MAJOR RALLY AT THE DOWNTOWN COURTHOUSE ON MONDAY JUNE 16
Monday, June 16 marks the beginning of historic legal proceedings as the City of Seattle defends its lease to the Seattle SuperSonics in federal court hearings.

Save Our Sonics (SOS) encourages Sonics fans to express their support in a group gathering outside the federal courthouse in downtown Seattle (700 Stewart St.) throughout the day.

Sonics legends "The Glove" Gary Payton and "X- Man" Xavier McDaniel are confirmed to attend and speak at 4:30 pm. Other Sonics Legends have been invited and are expected to appear.

Download and Post this EVERYWHERE!!!
It's the Official Rally Flyer:

B&W: http://saveoursonics.org/Portals/16/rally_0616.pdf

Color: http://saveoursonics.org/Portals/16/rally_0616_rgb.pdf

Steve Kelley of the Seattle Times wrote:
Why is this rally important?

Because people will be watching.

The league doesn't like getting embarrassed and if a huge crowd gathers at the courthouse, the rally will rate ESPN airtime and it will be a signal to the rest of the country that Seattle still cares.

If thousands, instead of hundreds, show up it will be another example that the NBA is dead wrong about this city.
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm..._kelley09.html

ITS FAR FROM OVER... SEE YOU AT THE COURTHOUSE ON MONDAY!!!

SAVE OUR SONICS!!!
Last 3 min of home game vs Mavs - 16,000 fans chanting at the Key
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Mp4lAafmZFA&feature=related
sbuxsux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 05:30 PM   #21
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbuxsux
RBP THANKS FOR ALL YOUR UPDATES - - YOU ARE AWESOME!!!

HERE'S ANOTHER UPDATE!!! http://saveoursonics.org/

THERE'S A MAJOR RALLY AT THE DOWNTOWN COURTHOUSE ON MONDAY JUNE 16
Monday, June 16 marks the beginning of historic legal proceedings as the City of Seattle defends its lease to the Seattle SuperSonics in federal court hearings.

Save Our Sonics (SOS) encourages Sonics fans to express their support in a group gathering outside the federal courthouse in downtown Seattle (700 Stewart St.) throughout the day.

Sonics legends "The Glove" Gary Payton and "X- Man" Xavier McDaniel are confirmed to attend and speak at 4:30 pm. Other Sonics Legends have been invited and are expected to appear.

Download and Post this EVERYWHERE!!!
It's the Official Rally Flyer:

B&W: http://saveoursonics.org/Portals/16/rally_0616.pdf

Color: http://saveoursonics.org/Portals/16/rally_0616_rgb.pdf

Steve Kelley of the Seattle Times wrote:
Why is this rally important?

Because people will be watching.

The league doesn't like getting embarrassed and if a huge crowd gathers at the courthouse, the rally will rate ESPN airtime and it will be a signal to the rest of the country that Seattle still cares.

If thousands, instead of hundreds, show up it will be another example that the NBA is dead wrong about this city.
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm..._kelley09.html

ITS FAR FROM OVER... SEE YOU AT THE COURTHOUSE ON MONDAY!!!

SAVE OUR SONICS!!!
Last 3 min of home game vs Mavs - 16,000 fans chanting at the Key
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Mp4lAafmZFA&feature=related

i havent been around as much lately...

but hopefully the court date will give us some good drama and keep the sonics in town until some other options move forward
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: