Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 07-21-2007, 10:43 PM   #16
AtTheDriveIn
04'

AtTheDriveIn has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: I think it may be time for Stern to step down...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 305Baller
I like the idea of a former player, someone who can keep the game evolving at a players level, yet who is an authorative figure: Larry Bird...no wait...someone angrier.... Charles Barkley...wait, too dumb.... Michael Jordan...wait he had a gambling problem....ummm....****.

Wait...Jerry West? He IS the frigging logo...

Micheal Jordan: Wait, he's no good at being anything other then a player.

I guess you're just considering players because, well, you probably have no clue about whoever else is vying for that job. To be honest, I don't either, but if a former NBA player gets it, it will be terrible for the league. It'll just be one bad move after another.

Jerry West is overrated. What exactly has he done to earn a spot in your mythical rankings of who should be the next commissioner? Made a couple of trades and signed a few players. In my opinion, no NBA players would even know what do with when they become a commissioner. Stern has so much more to do then any GM in the league.
AtTheDriveIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 10:49 PM   #17
White Chocolate
5-time NBA All-Star

White Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make It Rain
Tom Donaghy's been the only one accused so far. Do you even know if he ref'd those games?

Bavetta reffed the Lakers/Kings game and I believe Hugh Hollins reffed the Bulls/Knicks game.
White Chocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 10:56 PM   #18
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

From what I understand, league revenues and attendance have gone up with Stern at the helm, so I think it would be difficult for him to step down. He probably has quite a few supporters.

If you are a hardcore fan, like most here, we don't like the results of his efforts. But to the masses, he's probably doing a good job putting a decent product out there.

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 11:48 PM   #19
brantonli
In Morey We Trust!

brantonli has an incredible reputation herebrantonli has an incredible reputation herebrantonli has an incredible reputation herebrantonli has an incredible reputation herebrantonli has an incredible reputation herebrantonli has an incredible reputation herebrantonli has an incredible reputation herebrantonli has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Tennis has that laser technology... that could help with out of bounds calls, making the referees jobs easier.

Where are you going to put the laser on the court? Usually the sidelines and baselines are packed with cameramen and people who bought sideline tickets. Also, it's common to see players on the bench jump up and down in excitement and sometimes even onto the court. I really want this to hapen, because it's so hard to tell from three different angles if a player is out of bounds.

Please watch until the 3:53 mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eY8qGHU52E
brantonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 04:29 PM   #20
305Baller
Maybe I'm a sophist.

305Baller is popular on this board305Baller is popular on this board305Baller is popular on this board305Baller is popular on this board305Baller is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by brantonli
Where are you going to put the laser on the court? Usually the sidelines and baselines are packed with cameramen and people who bought sideline tickets. Also, it's common to see players on the bench jump up and down in excitement and sometimes even onto the court. I really want this to hapen, because it's so hard to tell from three different angles if a player is out of bounds.

Please watch until the 3:53 mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eY8qGHU52E

Its obvious he was out of bounds...
305Baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 04:34 PM   #21
John Starks
National High School Star

John Starks has an OK reputation so far

If I were to pick a new commish it would be Bill Bradley. Former player, brilliant mind.
John Starks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 05:40 PM   #22
TheReasonSF3
Can barely lace up my sneakers

TheReasonSF3 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
I like the idea of a former player, someone who can keep the game evolving at a players level, yet who is an authorative figure: Larry Bird...no wait...someone angrier.... Charles Barkley...wait, too dumb.... Michael Jordan...wait he had a gambling problem....ummm....****.

Wait...Jerry West? He IS the frigging logo...
Guys like Bird and Jordan wouldn't be qualified to be commissioners. With all the legalities that come with the job of commissioner, you really have to be a lawyer or someone knowledgeable on the law. If you are gonna name a former player commissioner, it would have to be someone like Bill Bradley, like John Starks said, who obviously has experience when it comes to legal issues.
TheReasonSF3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 05:47 PM   #23
305Baller
Maybe I'm a sophist.

305Baller is popular on this board305Baller is popular on this board305Baller is popular on this board305Baller is popular on this board305Baller is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReasonSF3
Guys like Bird and Jordan wouldn't be qualified to be commissioners. With all the legalities that come with the job of commissioner, you really have to be a lawyer or someone knowledgeable on the law. If you are gonna name a former player commissioner, it would have to be someone like Bill Bradley, like John Starks said, who obviously has experience when it comes to legal issues.

Yes, Bill Bradley. New York Knickerbocker. Interesting.
305Baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 06:33 PM   #24
John Starks
National High School Star

John Starks has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Yes, Bill Bradley. New York Knickerbocker. Interesting.

The other thing with Bradley - is that unlike Stern - he is very thoughtful and deliberate and ultimately easy. Stern likes to exact punishment quickly and decisively and harshly. Bradley would take a month and the punishmnet would be fair.

Persoanlly, I'll take Stern anyday.
John Starks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 08:04 PM   #25
TheHonestTruth
Banned

TheHonestTruth has no real reputation yet.

Stern should've stepped down in 1993.

He should be replaced by Bill Simmons or Mark Cuban.
TheHonestTruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 09:13 PM   #26
mongePR(kb24)
kb24 to boston

mongePR(kb24) has an OK reputation so far

i love stern. He have what you want in a commissioner.

BUT, he is a bit old school, they need to look for someone with the strictness like him, but with new ideas.

i.e. capable of doing something innovative with the couching.
mongePR(kb24) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 09:32 PM   #27
Y2Gezee
Troll spotting pro

Y2Gezee is a pretty well-respected posterY2Gezee is a pretty well-respected posterY2Gezee is a pretty well-respected poster

I agree, it is time for Stern to go. He WAS the best commish, now he's on a power trip and while on that trip he's needlessly addressed things that don't need to be touched, and allowed the "integrity of the game" to possibly be questioned for years and years to come. I think in a few years time, its time he stepped down.

I don't know what he could've done to stop this, but I do know he could've looked into the calls of bad officiating more instead of telling them to have quicker whistles and defending them so hard.

Last edited by Y2Gezee : 07-24-2007 at 11:06 PM.
Y2Gezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 10:27 PM   #28
Jasper
Bucks Brigade

Jasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Bill Cartright Walton

(no more calls on Luke) ?
Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 12:05 AM   #29
veeceeonefive
I airball my layups

veeceeonefive has an OK reputation so far

In my opinion there are no NBA players, past or present, who are capable of being the Commissioner of the league. Consider David Stern, who, aside from being a lawyer, had accrued more than 18 years of experience in business and labour relations within the league by the time he took the top job. There's probably only a handful of people on the planet who are as qualified for the Commissioner's job as David Stern was when he took over in 1984, and unsurprisingly, none of them are professional athletes.

To sum up, I do not think that David Stern should step down, and I certainly do not think he should be replaced by a former player. In terms of the former, I don't think there is anyone else on the planet who can help save the NBA's reputation from the ravages of the Donaghy scandal. In terms of the latter, if a nationwide television network was looking for a new CEO, I wouldn't recommend that they hire an ex-actor, either.
veeceeonefive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 12:27 AM   #30
FashionIssues
Smooth Operator

FashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

<-- leave stern alone.

point out his major faults at any point in time. none.
FashionIssues is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: