Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Philadelphia 76ers Forum

Philadelphia 76ers Forum Philadelphia 76ers forum - 76ers message board - Sixers fan forum

Old 07-13-2006, 10:26 AM   #1
SixerFan03
High School JV MVP

SixerFan03 has an OK reputation so far
Default From the Inquirer: Iverson may not be traded.

Stephen A: 76er's Won't Except Lame Duck Offers

Quote:
From what’s not being offered, it looks as if Iverson is staying.
By Stephen A. Smith
Inquirer Columnist

The latest news surrounding Allen Iverson doesn't revolve around what the 76ers are doing as much as what they're not doing.

The Sixers are not interested in trading Iverson for virtually nothing, which is to say they're not interested in being anybody's sucker for this season or any that follows. Whether that has happened in the past is open to debate, but there is no debating how this all could affect the team's franchise player.

From the looks of things, Allen Iverson isn't going anywhere. He'll be right at the Wachovia Center for at least 41 nights this regular season - including fan appreciation night. He'll be stuck with this franchise for at least another season, unless the Clippers, Nuggets, Celtics or someone else come up with an offer that makes some sense - regardless of all the tangible clues Iverson has left, giving every indication that he has certainly moved on.

Iverson is living in Atlanta, folks. He may still have a home on the Main Line, but that's not where Iverson, his wife and children are spending their days and nights this summer. "He still has a home in Philadelphia," a source close to Iverson said yesterday afternoon. "But let's be honest: He and his family are living in Atlanta now, waiting to see how everything goes down."

The truth is, little to nothing is going down at all. That's what happens when you're stigmatized as a lame duck.

Teams officially know that Iverson isn't happy with the status quo, that he's anxious to move on. So instead of stars like Kevin Garnett, Dwyane Wade or Kobe Bryant being thrown on the trading table, leftovers are being thrown in the Sixers' direction.

Actually, they're more like crumbs.

Billy King, the Sixers' president and general manager, was in no mood to talk about Iverson yesterday, partly because he's annoyed by all the rumors, mainly because any valid offers are virtually nonexistent.

He did manage to say, however: "If there's a deal out there that will make this team better, we'll do it. If it's not something that'll make us better, it's not going to happen."

King went on to support his point by echoing what Iverson told reporters about a week ago when he said, "I won't have a problem if the Sixers trade me and they get better. But if they trade me and this team doesn't get better, I'll have a real problem with that."

In King's world, that makes everything better, makes it easier to call Iverson's agent, Leon Rose, and say, "See, he doesn't really want to go anywhere unless it's a really good situation."

The rest of Philadelphia? Don't even get me started.

There are only two conditions under which you trade a four-time NBA scoring champion like Iverson:

To acquire another superstar.

To pick up a couple of players with star potential.

If King didn't know that before, he knows it now, which is why several league sources say he didn't bite on the garbage he was being offered.

After Boston's Danny Ainge ruined King's chances of acquiring Villanova's Randy Foye, the Celtics' Gerald Green and Utah's Carlos Boozer on draft night, King quickly snuffed Ainge's idea of sending Green and Wally Sczcerbiak - a better-paid, glorified version of Kyle Korver - to Philadelphia in exchange for Iverson.

Denver has called around to several teams, offering Marcus Camby and Andre Miller to anyone listening, including the Sixers. The Nuggets also would throw a block party if King exchanged Chris Webber for Kenyon Martin's remaining $65 million salary and questionable knees.

King won't even waste energy trying to hide the fact that he'd send Iverson to the Los Angeles Clippers in a heartbeat for Corey Maggette and young phenom Shaun Livingston. But King may not know that mutiny would take place at the Staples Center and some of L.A.'s officials would contemplate quitting if coach Mike Dunleavy and GM Elgin Baylor elected to jeopardize the team's ascension in favor of star appeal.

Plus, King has another option working in his favor: keeping Iverson, and watching his ire transform into another MVP-caliber season.

That's what happened in 2000 after Matt Geiger's refusal to waive his 15 percent trade kicker was the only thing that prevented Iverson from wearing a Detroit Pistons uniform. It's also what happened when Paul Pierce averaged 26.8 points last season for Boston, immediately after a bunch of trade rumors sending him everywhere from the Clippers to Denver.

Stars get angry. They get frustrated. Then they start taking it out on opponents.

Meanwhile, smart organizations continue to move forward and build. In the Sixers' case, they could eventually end up with $13 million to $14 million in salary-cap room in the next two years if they don't make a move.

All they have to do is hope Iverson's frustration won't escalate to the point of turmoil and chaos beyond repair.

Good luck!

Stephen A. Smith

Last edited by SixerFan03 : 07-13-2006 at 10:33 AM.
SixerFan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 01:36 PM   #2
The Answer
National High School Star

The Answer has decent reputationThe Answer has decent reputation

very interesting
The Answer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 03:09 PM   #3
truballer
Can barely lace up my sneakers

truballer has an OK reputation so far

Good it's hard too replace everyting AI does
truballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 11:04 AM   #4
Czar
I airball my layups

Czar has an OK reputation so far

He needs to stay. He's a Sixer for life.
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 10:32 AM   #5
Voice of Reason
Local High School Star

Voice of Reason has not been impressing people

Then Billy King lied when he said this team would undergo major roster changes and the one we saw last season would differ from this season.
Voice of Reason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 11:36 AM   #6
sixerfan3511
Local High School Star

sixerfan3511 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voice of Reason
Then Billy King lied when he said this team would undergo major roster changes and the one we saw last season would differ from this season.

yeah, the 1 change so far was not resigning salmons and getting a 2nd rounder, and now we dont get $hit for him. Speaking of $hit, thats what King is, so him lying doesnt surprise me one bit. We are gonna go into the year with the same god damn roster, and hes too busy sitting on his fat a$$ that he can't even offer reggie evans a contract. Now Denver is gonna resign him most likely and we miss out on yet another guy that could help us emmensely. King needs to get the axe, fast...
sixerfan3511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 08:41 AM   #7
iggyinphilly

iggyinphilly has an OK reputation so far
Default AI will be traded...

no matter what all these different reports say he is definitely getting traded this year. the past few years they would never do it b/c of the ticket revenue but the fans have given up on this team being successful. from that perspective and so that the team can get under the cap and rebuild they have to trade him. i still think its going end up being atlanta for shelden williams, josh smith and a pick.
iggyinphilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 12:34 PM   #8
douglaspuckett12

douglaspuckett12 has an OK reputation so far

If Atlanta does ever become true, It is a fine way to pay a guy for 10 years of every ounce of his heart. Philly can atleast trade him to a team he may be able to compete with, NOt worse than he currently is.
douglaspuckett12 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: