Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-24-2007, 10:52 AM   #1
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here
Default Sheehan arrested for calling for an Impeachment

Quote:

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Anti-war activist Cindy Sheehan was arrested Monday at the Capitol for disorderly conduct, shortly after saying she would run against House Speaker Nancy Pelosi over the California Democrat's refusal to try to impeach President Bush.

Anti-war activist Cindy Sheehan says "Impeachment is not a fringe movement."

Sheehan was taken into custody inside Rep. John Conyers' office, where she had spent an hour imploring him to launch impeachment proceedings against Bush and Vice President Dick Cheney. Conyers, D-Michigan, chairs the House Judiciary Committee, where any impeachment effort would have to begin.

"The Democrats will not hold this administration accountable, so we have to hold the Democrats accountable," Sheehan said outside Conyers' office after the meeting. "And I for one am going to step up to the plate and run against Nancy Pelosi."

Sheehan and about 200 other protesters had walked to Conyers' office from Arlington National Cemetery. She said Conyers told her there weren't enough votes for impeachment to move forward on the issue.

Forty-five of Sheehan's fellow protesters also were arrested. Capitol Police spokeswoman Sgt. Kimberly Schneider said that after they are processed, the arrested activists could each pay a $50 fine to be released.

"Impeachment is not a fringe movement, it is mandated in our Constitution. Nancy Pelosi had no authority to take it off the table," Sheehan told her group of orange-clad activists before they began their march from the national cemetery.

Sheehan, whose 24-year-old son, Casey, was killed in Iraq, has been saying for two weeks that she would seek to oust Pelosi from office by running against her as an independent in her San Francisco district if Pelosi didn't change her mind by July 23 on trying to impeach Bush.

Conyers introduced a bill last term calling on Congress to determine whether there are grounds for impeaching Bush. Pelosi has steadfastly dismissed any talk of impeachment, saying Democrats should focus their efforts on ending the war in Iraq. E-mail to a friend

To be honest. Sheehan is absolutely right... Impeachment is not a fringe movement. It is the medicine by which we cure ourselves of situations like the one we are in right now....

I been listening and watching some constitutional historians and lawyers talk about this situation and they state over and over that this president should be impeached... there is an abundance of evidence that should be used to do this..

the democrats are shirking their duty to enact the changes that the American people have sent them to Washington to achieve...This war could be stopped but the democrats (and republicans) dont have the guts to stand up and do it.....

We are losing our sense of (real) freedom.. this is becoming a nation of bureaucracy and politics.... We are acting like cowards these days...

I wish there was a way to make people understand how critical this time in history is to this country.

Last edited by Rasheed1 : 07-24-2007 at 10:55 AM.
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 11:49 AM   #2
Hurlyburly
Banned

Hurlyburly has no real reputation yet.
Default Re: Sheehan arrested for calling for an Impeachment

She's really becoming a detriment to anti-Bush activists.

At first she helped because she seemed to be a mother grieving for her lost son, but now it just seems like shes seeking publicity.

I read today that Bush's approval rating is at 24% and that's the lowest of any President ever. Bush doesn't need Sheehans help in making him look bad, he's doing a better job by himself.
Hurlyburly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 11:55 AM   #3
Sean77
High School JV MVP

Sean77 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasheed1
To be honest. Sheehan is absolutely right... Impeachment is not a fringe movement. It is the medicine by which we cure ourselves of situations like the one we are in right now....

I been listening and watching some constitutional historians and lawyers talk about this situation and they state over and over that this president should be impeached... there is an abundance of evidence that should be used to do this..

the democrats are shirking their duty to enact the changes that the American people have sent them to Washington to achieve...This war could be stopped but the democrats (and republicans) dont have the guts to stand up and do it.....

We are losing our sense of (real) freedom.. this is becoming a nation of bureaucracy and politics.... We are acting like cowards these days...

I wish there was a way to make people understand how critical this time in history is to this country.

Nah, my brother, we already ARE a nation of bureaucracy and politics, and we've been acting like cowards on many issues for a minute. Democrats have their consituents and money coming from suspect places just like Republicans, so they're only going to go far.

"Finance is a gun. Politics...is knowing when to pull the trigger." - The Godfather III

I pray for anyone going into politics, that they don't get caught to the point they forget why they're there in the first place.
Sean77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 12:08 PM   #4
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
At first she helped because she seemed to be a mother grieving for her lost son, but now it just seems like shes seeking publicity.

She looks loke she is disturbed, and is portrayed as a nut case or an opportunist....but Iam coming to the conclusion that she is one of the few people who really understands where this country is headed..

The white house and the senate are playing around with american soldiers lives and have all but wasted our reputation around the world. I heard politicians talking about waiting a bit longer on the before they speak out What the f*ck do they mean "Wait longer before speaking out?"

you realize how many more soldiers (and innocent iraqis) will be dead by then?

Dont they have the least sense of responsibility to those soldiers and to human decency then to stand up and do their jobs TODAY before it is too late? I cant believe they would wait to gauge public sentiment and this poll and that survey before they make a move as critical as this..

they play this game in government where they spin the wheels and pretend they are trying to solve this problem..

Its soo sad because I have a friend and she has a brother in Iraq (I dont have family there) and watching her cringe everytime the phone rings or the doorbell rings or the news comes or everytime shes goes on the internet is a very f*cked up thing to see. I cant imagine the daily torture she goes thru worrying that she doesnt get news that her brother is dead...

War is a serious thing and we dont have the man power or the time to be fighting wars based on lies and disinformation..... I dont see how this not an impeachable offense....

Old 07-24-2007, 12:46 PM   #5
Hurlyburly
Banned

The Bush administration can get away with using American lives for their agenda because us as the American people aern't smart enough to see through their lies.

Nobody is putting a stop to it, and when they try then just get silenced, so what's the point?

Let those American soldiers die and maybe when so many have them have perished for a cause that never came to fruition, people will smarten up.

Until then, us Americans deserve what we're getting cause we're a bunch of dumbasses.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:20 PM   #6
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

Timmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation here

People like Cindy Sheehan need to be shot...and for many different reasons.

1. She couldn't do a better job a President.

2. If we called for Impeachment for every President the general public didn't like, American politics would be the cause of the nations downfall from a world superpower to a third world country. No one would have faith in the goverment anymore and this nation would be in anarchy and disarray.

Sure, Bush has made some decisions that the general public doesn't completely agree with, but in a nation of a billion people, you're going to have people that disagree, and the media blows this out of proportion when a small group of anti-bushiots speak out. The media makes them look like the majority when in reality they are only a period on the page.
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 01:35 PM   #7
Hurlyburly
Banned

She could be a better President than Bush. But anyone could.

I agree with the rest of your points. Calling for impeachment just because you don't like him is ridiculous and such an empty gesture. If you're going to impeach him, do it on one of the numerous travesties he's brought on this country be it his complete disdain for any kind of law, or just his overall arrogance and turning the USA into an "US against everyone else" like mentality. That's dangerous.

But again, if people were so upset with him, he wouldn't be a two term president, because he wouldn't have gotten voted in a second (I guess first) time. But Americans are a bunch of idiots so you can't expect to be very competent when it comes to voting for public officials.

Luckily, the Republicans have absolutely no shot in winning the Presidency after the last 8 years. The Democrats will do a better job, but anything is a better job after the last 8 years, and I'm not holding my breath that the Democrats will do anything else but run in place.

The only people who can make a change are the actual citizens, not any politicians.

We need an uprising, but we're too occupied with our American Idols and Nascar circle driving cars.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:38 PM   #8
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat cool

Bush and Cheney are terrible leaders for the US... they are solely responsible for the US languishing in the international front

but to say we have lost our freedoms? be glad you don't work in a sweatshop for pennies under threat of flogging or death.
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 01:40 PM   #9
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

geeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:

2. If we called for Impeachment for every President the general public didn't like, American politics would be the cause of the nations downfall from a world superpower to a third world country. No one would have faith in the goverment anymore and this nation would be in anarchy and disarray.
You retard.
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 01:56 PM   #10
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:

*Shakes head at dumb comment*

Quote:

I could do a better job than this president has done, so Im sure she could too.

Quote:

stop it with the false predictions of gloom and doom...Impeachment was given to us specifically to avoid the downfall of this republic..

Who was the last president who got into a protracted premptive war based on lies and disinformation?

Bush should be impeached on that alone... then you have Guantanimo (since when is it OK to put prisons out side the United States in order skirt our own principles that we supposedly live by and encourage other nations to adopt???? I mean what kind of sense does that make to push for democracy in Iraq while we skirt our own democracy right here?)...then you got secret wiretapping when the administration could achieve the same goals without it...

Quote:
Sure, Bush has made some decisions that the general public doesn't completely agree with, but in a nation of a billion people, you're going to have people that disagree, and the media blows this out of proportion when a small group of anti-bushiots speak out. The media makes them look like the majority when in reality they are only a period on the page.

you cant be serious here... the media is blowing the war in iraq out of proportion? IMO the media hasnt taken Bush to task enough over this. they have effectively been asleep at the wheel when it comes to informing the citizens of this country about what is really going on....

I dont see how with all this death and destruction spiraling out of control, you could say that its being blown out of proportion...

I can see we are in a world of trouble and it will be too late by the time Americans wake up and gain some courage to take this country back and regain our principles that we supposedly are founded on...

Back when Nixon was going on, there came a point when Republicans went & got honest with the president and told him "you cant win here".. the press werent sleeping on the job and they exposed him for the crook he was and his impeachment cured the nation of the cancer that nixon had become...

we need people to wake up and put a halt to this stuff..you have an admin that is so bold that its vice president wont even hand over his records claiming he doesnt have to and claiming he effectively is not even part of the executive branch...he thinks he is above it and doesnt need to report to the american people like everyone else does..

I mean, for real, none of this alarms you?

Last edited by Rasheed1 : 07-24-2007 at 02:04 PM.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:27 PM   #11
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

Timmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
you cant be serious here... the media is blowing the war in iraq out of proportion?
You completely misread that entire section. I said that the media blows the anti-bush activists out of proportion, making them look like the majority when they are a very, very small faction.
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 02:33 PM   #12
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
You completely misread that entire section. I said that the media blows the anti-bush activists out of proportion, making them look like the majority when they are a very, very small faction.

his rating is an alltime low (for almost any president ever)

its not a very, very small faction...

most of the world has changed their opinion on us due to his actions...Even republicans and his supporters admit this..

its not an illusion projected by the media, its even more real than the media is letting on
Old 07-24-2007, 03:44 PM   #13
reppy
Apparently likes anime

reppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation here

Remember when Bush ran with the slogan "personal accountability"? Impeachment is just that: accountability.
reppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 03:59 PM   #14
gb8
Extra Cheese

gb8 has an OK reputation so far

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=BqLvBUSJucg
gb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 04:02 PM   #15
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat cool

impeachment should only be considered when a President has committed a crime.

Bush going to war and having many soldiers killed is not a crime in the legal sense. Moralistically he is bad. But by word of law (which should be the ultimate arbitrator) bush has not been found guilty by any evidence of any criminal activity.

hell, if people decided to impeach Presidents for every unpopular move our country would be pretty fu cked up.

this Sheenan woman, because her son was killed in war, should represent a MAJOR conflict of interest and she should resign her position for someone more able.

but don't get me wrong, I think a light bulb is still better than Bush. I just wish people would fight with logic and reason rather than
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: