Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-25-2007, 11:46 AM   #1
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

Default Marrying a career woman: Pros and Cons

http://www.forbes.com/home/2006/08/2...x_mn_land.html

the initial article caused a great uproar and then they had to post a rebuttal in order to save face. what cowards.

anyway here are my two cents:

The first article cites numbers, figures, and research data. THAT is what I like to see. And career women are less likely to provide the home environment that every well brought up career man yearns for based on what his parents told him to do when he was a boy.

BUT

this article is HIGHLY unfair to women at large because while there are Wall Street harlots out there, not ALL women do this and there are definitely exceptions to the rule.

BUT, he cited a statistical phenomenon and is merely warning men to watch themselves and play the percentages if you want to find a mate who fosters a healthy family relationship. is it wrong? you bet. but for the individual, playing the percentages is the EASIEST way to be efficient and ensure you get what you want.

Now women say this is sexist. Well what about women who ONLY look at older guys because they are more "mature" (see my previous thread discussing the reasons why women like older guys, and it's not just $$$) and they view all men with an age lens. How is that not playing the percentages? don't start sh it if you're not going to finish it.

as for the rebuttal: i feel her anger and can definitely understand. because I support women's emancipation as well.

however, I do NOT support ignorance and name calling. This women essentially spends her article throwing around subtle insults at men and brings up a few abstract examples. A FEW. the dude CITED NUMBERS AND FACTS. The woman brings a stick to a gun fight. Weak rebuttal.

BOTTOM LINE:

Men, if you want a healthy marriage, then the chances seem greater than 50% based on a few studies that you should not marry career women.

But this is a sexist notion and the author of the first article should really think about what he is doing with his life.

and the second article is a piece of sh it. the right convictions and the right ideas but very poorly represented. but full of name calling and insults and LACK OF CITATIONS that severly weaken her argument and make it seem like nothing more than
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 11:53 AM   #2
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

Default Re: Marrying a career woman: Pros and Cons

Here is the bottom line: I think it's very unrealistic to expect women to work a 40 hour job, raise children, cook/clean, spend time with their husband, spend time with friends and family, have outside interests, etc

2 or 3 of those things can be accomplished, but something/something is gonna get the MAJOR squeeze. A woman who works a 9-5 Mon-Fri job can come home and cook/clean for the kids, but how much can they be involved emotionally if their are exhausted from a long work week? My own mother did the best she could, but she was a single parent raising 2 sons working full time. There's only so much one person can give.

Society places many unfair expectations on us, but more so on women than men.
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 12:09 PM   #3
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

personally I think the original author needs to revise his definition of "career women"

college degree and over $30,000 a year? al ot of women have that.

I think "career woman" must be defined as a woman with aspirations of reaching the very top. aka $100,000 + a year
Old 07-25-2007, 12:21 PM   #4
liverandonions
HERD is the WORD

they belong in the kitchen cooking my dinner.
liverandonions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 12:31 PM   #5
JtotheIzzo
Admlnlstrator

if that beyotch aint got no job, her job is going to be to harrass you 24/7, and spend your money.

falk that
JtotheIzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 12:33 PM   #6
liverandonions
HERD is the WORD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JtotheIzzo
if that beyotch aint got no job, her job is going to be to harrass you 24/7, and spend your money.

falk that

That be tru. I hate it when they ain't got no friends/life and all they wanna do is bug u all the time
liverandonions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 03:29 PM   #7
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

I couldn't imagine myself marrying some corporate slave if I were a woman looking for a husband, so the same applies for my future wife.

If you're going to marry the type of person who would submit herself to being a lawyer or whatever anyway, you might as well marry the one that has the work ethic and intelligence to actually make it with that lifestyle.

Personally? I'm operating under the assumption that whoever I marry will not work full-time after I marry them. Maybe because she's an artist or writer or something and not have a full time job anyway. The only full time job I can see a wife of mine having is teacher.

I have no problem with women who want to rise to the top of the world. I just don't really become close friends with people like this of any gender and I can't see myself marrying one.
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 04:30 PM   #8
reppy
Apparently likes anime

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
however, I do NOT support ignorance and name calling. This women essentially spends her article throwing around subtle insults at men and brings up a few abstract examples. A FEW. the dude CITED NUMBERS AND FACTS. The woman brings a stick to a gun fight. Weak rebuttal.

Just further proof that men are superior to women!
reppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 04:35 PM   #9
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppy
Just further proof that men are superior to women!

if a man wrote his first article in the weak manner the woman wrote her rebuttal, then I would also crucify him for being a dumbass.

come now Reppy, that this individual woman author is a terrible writer is my opinion.

not half of the world (aka all women) are terrible writers who present weak rebuttals.
Old 07-25-2007, 04:42 PM   #10
reppy
Apparently likes anime

I'm just being sarcastic and I wanted to piss some people off! Don't ruin it!
reppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 04:44 PM   #11
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppy
I'm just being sarcastic and I wanted to piss some people off! Don't ruin it!

all right then
Old 07-25-2007, 07:34 PM   #12
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeWiz15
I couldn't imagine myself marrying some corporate slave if I were a woman looking for a husband, so the same applies for my future wife.

If you're going to marry the type of person who would submit herself to being a lawyer or whatever anyway, you might as well marry the one that has the work ethic and intelligence to actually make it with that lifestyle.

Personally? I'm operating under the assumption that whoever I marry will not work full-time after I marry them. Maybe because she's an artist or writer or something and not have a full time job anyway. The only full time job I can see a wife of mine having is teacher.

I have no problem with women who want to rise to the top of the world. I just don't really become close friends with people like this of any gender and I can't see myself marrying one.

It's hard to establish intimacy with someone who is so driven. To have a strong work ethic and want to be the very best is an awesome trait to have. However, there is a strong price to pay. Many successful lawyers, doctors, hell professional basketball players, have awful family lifes. They provide a ton of monetary support, but can't really offer much emotional support because high power jobs are extremely draining and time consuming
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 07:40 PM   #13
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Devil Wears Prada it sounds like.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 01:01 AM   #14
Cannonball
Lets GO PENS!

I'm going to marry the women I fall in love with. It doesn't matter if she is a "Career women" or a house wife. I don't think it will matter. It will be her decision to work or not work.
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 01:52 AM   #15
SupermanOnSteroids
Local High School Star

Pros: Extra money. So you can buy that expensive car and wine and dine the girlfriend you have on the side.

Cons: The wifey *****es and whines and makes you look bad behind your back in front of her co-workers after you slap her around the night before for not cleaning the house and making good food.
SupermanOnSteroids is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: