Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Phoenix Suns Forum

Phoenix Suns Forum Phoenix Suns forum - Phoenix Suns message board

Old 07-14-2006, 02:52 PM   #76
DCpup
I airball my layups

Quote:
You say Phoenix gave up more pts than us like its an impressive stat .... Thats not a good thing..We dont need more pts scored against us. Like I said earlier, its the reason phoenix will never win anything... Sure the run & fun type has fans saying 'wow!'.....but you saw what happened when a team the plays on both sides of the ball comes to play...they win...

It is impressive. Despite having some of the worse defenses in the league, Nash still leads his teams deep into the playoffs every year. He guarantees a playoff spot every year because of his efficiency and playmaking alone. It may not win you a title, but it at least puts you into contention.

With Iverson, you need alot of things to go right for his teams to be sucessful. As there title run in 01 showed, he needs alot of defensive/rebounding and players who'll play well with limited touches. Even then it was in one of the worst years for the east ever.
DCpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 03:04 PM   #77
Ricardo Tubbs
High School JV MVP

Quote:
you can manipulate the offense all you want, and the offense can be a pretty as a prom queen...efficiency numbers can be sky high...

There's no "manipulating" going on. The numbers are clear: Philly's offense ain't as good as you think. Look at the adjusted FG% rankings, and you'll see that the five best teams were ALL in the top-10. It's a pretty god damn good stat. It's especially telling that Steve Nash has never been on a team that wasn't in the top-5 in offensive efficiency since 2000, when he wasn't even a full-time starter.

Rasheed, you're about as stubborn and open-minded as Donald Rumsfeld so I won't keep arguing with you, but it's pretty obvious that Steve Nash would help the Sixers offense quite a bit, and wouldn't make the defense any worse.

Improved offense=improved team. That is inarguable.

Quote:
We need a championship, not a run & gun team that gets knocked out as soon as the playoffs start

The conference finals are the first round of the playoffs? That's news to me.
Ricardo Tubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 03:04 PM   #78
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
It is impressive.

I am sorry to break this to you, but it is not an impressive stat... Its like playing the game with one arm tied behind your back when you didnt have to...

guy #1 'yeah that guy made the playoff with one arm tied behind his back! isnt that impressive?"

guy #2 'hell no! he could went alot further if he smartened up and untied his hand from behind his back'

you are battling your own deficiencies more than you are battling the opponent...thats insane.

Quote:
Despite having some of the worse defenses in the league, Nash still leads his teams deep into the playoffs every year. He guarantees a playoff spot every year because of his efficiency and playmaking alone. It may not win you a title, but it at least puts you into contention.

the key word there is despite...

Quote:
With Iverson, you need alot of things to go right for his teams to be sucessful. As there title run in 01 showed, he needs alot of defensive/rebounding and players who'll play well with limited touches. Even then it was in one of the worst years for the east ever.

with Iverson, all you really need is some defense(which every championship hopeful team needs) and a post player who can draw a double/create his own offense

the game aint that hard...its pretty simple

Last edited by Rasheed1 : 07-14-2006 at 03:06 PM.
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 03:07 PM   #79
JtotheIzzo
Admlnlstrator

Jump off this train wreck of a thread, I did and it is liberating.
The Nash/Iverson argument is a chasm that just cannot be bridged
JtotheIzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 03:11 PM   #80
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
There's no "manipulating" going on.

If we brought Nash in here to boost the offense, that would be a manipulation of the offense...

Quote:
Rasheed, you're about as stubborn and open-minded as Donald Rumsfeld so I won't keep arguing with you,

its not stubborn at all, its fact that teams that play like phoenix dont win anything....

you wanna tell me that Nash would improve the team when he doesnt play a lick of D (which happens to be our main problem)....That doesnt make any sense
Old 07-14-2006, 03:36 PM   #81
TheBigAristotle1
Serious playground baller

Nash's defense is hardly as bad as people make it out to be. Nash isn't good at defense, but he stays between his man and the basket and gets a hand up. If you want a horribly bad defender look no further then Chris Webber.
TheBigAristotle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 03:40 PM   #82
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
If you want a horribly bad defender look no further then Chris Webber.

Aint that the truth....
Old 07-14-2006, 03:47 PM   #83
DCpup
I airball my layups

Quote:
Nash's defense is hardly as bad as people make it out to be. Nash isn't good at defense, but he stays between his man and the basket and gets a hand up. If you want a horribly bad defender look no further then Chris Webber.

I'm talking more about the teams he's played for. Almost every team he's played for has been inept at the defensive end. That sure dosen't stop them from making deep runs in the playoffs every year.
DCpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 04:01 PM   #84
ExpatSunsFan
Local High School Star

One thing I can promise you if you switched the two--Nash's new teammates would suddenly look a lot better, and Iverson's new teammates would suddenly look a lot worse.

For the Suns, no way I trade Nash for Iverson--the team overachieves every year, they look like a title contender next year, so don't **** it up. Iverson isn't close to Nash in efficiency on offense (or to any of the Suns regulars, for that matter), and at this point, Iverson's not even that much better on defense.

Would Nash turn Philly into a winner? As long as Chris Webber is there, I don't see it happening. I don't think they would be any worse, though. :shrug:
ExpatSunsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 04:08 PM   #85
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
For the Suns, no way I trade Nash for Iverson--the team overachieves every year, they look like a title contender next year, so don't **** it up. Iverson isn't close to Nash in efficiency on offense (or to any of the Suns regulars, for that matter), and at this point, Iverson's not even that much better on defense.

The suns will get knocked out by a team that plays defense next year, again...

*shrugs*

Im sure Nash wouldnt improve the sixers because he only plays half the game...and its not the half we need help with
Old 07-14-2006, 04:15 PM   #86
JtotheIzzo
Admlnlstrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasheed1
The suns will get knocked out by a team that plays defense next year, again...

*shrugs*

Im sure Nash wouldnt improve the sixers because he only plays half the game...and its not the half we need help with

The downgrade though on D, is AI's D that much better than Nash's? he gets more steals, but because of his inability to distribute he'd have to play a lot of 2 and being only 6'1" he'd be an easy isolation for most two guards.

You are approaching this argument like AI has everyone on lockdown which isn't the case...it could be said he's a defensive liability at the 2 spot where someone with his shot selection will be forced to play if you want to keep him on the floor 40 minutes a night.
Old 07-14-2006, 04:15 PM   #87
ExpatSunsFan
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasheed1

What, they play 70-minute games now?
ExpatSunsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 04:33 PM   #88
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
You are approaching this argument like AI has everyone on lockdown which isn't the case..

Oh no....AI is part of the problem when it comes to our defense. He gets some steals, but he doesnt stay in front of his man enough for my liking..He is still more effective than Nash... and Im looking at this from a team point of view...would Nash improve the defense here? that is what Im looking at.. Im not concerned about the sixers offense. Its good enough, and it would be even better if we could get more stops.. thats just how I look at the game...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpatSunsFan
What, they play 70-minute games now?

??? where did you get 70 minutes from?

if you meant half the game minute-wise, its prolly not a bad idea... Do it like the NFL... When Nash gets done feeding the beautiful pass for the lay-up, just make them come off the court all together while the other team plays offense
Old 07-14-2006, 04:35 PM   #89
JtotheIzzo
Admlnlstrator

I see
Old 07-14-2006, 04:36 PM   #90
jan803
High school junior varsity star

ok, i'm sticking my nose in this...

what the nash supporters keep ignoring is that yes, he will improve the team's offense. they might be able score nearly 110pts/game.

but when the nash lead 76er's need to make that defensive stop, the other team will score and and win 113/111.

you guys forgot how many games the nash lead suns lost by 3 points or less.

so rasheed is saying that the higher scoring, better effecient nash would bring ito the 76ers sn't going to translate in the thing that's most important to a 76er fan.

a championship.
jan803 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: