Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-26-2007, 11:56 AM   #1
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

Skywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Remember my topic about eBay selling help? And the Nigerian scammers? ....

look at an email I got:

Quote:
I'm interested in purchasing your item for a UNICEF Programme in Nigeria, i will pay you 700.00$ for the item including the shipment cost of the item to Nigeria and i would pay you through PayPal. I would need the details below for the payment to be made:

Full Name:
Item Number:
PayPal Email Address:
Total Cost:

Reply me with this details and the payment would be made. If you wish to further this transaction you can email me at j.clarke2@yahoo.com.

Best Regards,
John Clarke.

I'm assuming thats what you guys were talkign about?
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 12:09 PM   #2
J_Rock3ts
The Truth

J_Rock3ts is a pretty well-respected posterJ_Rock3ts is a pretty well-respected posterJ_Rock3ts is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Remember my topic about eBay selling help? And the Nigerian scammers? ....

Yeah, exactly. Did that just happen recently? If so, expect to get like 80 messages from E-Bay saying you got spammed. Same thing happened to me when I sold my PSP...I got a messsge from a guy in Nigeria who "works in a general store and promised the item to a customer." Then he said it would shame him, his family, and his store if I didn't sell it to him. Two days later, E-Bay had spam flags all over my profile.
J_Rock3ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 12:26 PM   #3
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

Skywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Remember my topic about eBay selling help? And the Nigerian scammers? ....

yeah I just saw it for the first time like half an hour ago so Im assuming I received it over night, thank god I asked.

Though I wouldnt have shipped it to Nigeria anyway lol.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:49 PM   #4
gb8
Extra Cheese

gb8 has an OK reputation so far

Sorry I missed the initial thread, what the scam?
gb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 04:00 PM   #5
sunsfan1357
Word.

sunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb8
Sorry I missed the initial thread, what the scam?

There are many ways they do this scam. My job is being a phone operator and we relay phone calls for the deaf and hard of hearing, but since it is a public service anyone can use it. What happens most of hte time at my job is that Nigerians look up internet classifieds or just call random numbers and try to buy things using fraudulent credit card numbers and money orders. Loads of people fall for this scam everyday and I hear it's actually the most profitable part of the Nigerian economy. Don't know how true that last statement is though.
sunsfan1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 04:07 PM   #6
jbot
Future D1 Dad

jbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsfan1357
There are many ways they do this scam. My job is being a phone operator and we relay phone calls for the deaf and hard of hearing, but since it is a public service anyone can use it. What happens most of hte time at my job is that Nigerians look up internet classifieds or just call random numbers and try to buy things using fraudulent credit card numbers and money orders. Loads of people fall for this scam everyday and I hear it's actually the most profitable part of the Nigerian economy. Don't know how true that last statement is though.

CNN ran a story about how corrupt nigeria is with stealing people's identities not too long ago. i think it is their biggest part of the economy there. what a great country!

what the heck are u selling that's worth $700?
jbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 05:45 PM   #7
proof
Banned

proof has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker

look at an email I got:

I'm assuming thats what you guys were talkign about?

lol. told you.

check out thescambaiter.com

It will make you laugh for weeks.
proof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 06:21 PM   #8
dab0yech0
3 Ball like Piatkowski

dab0yech0 has an incredible reputation heredab0yech0 has an incredible reputation heredab0yech0 has an incredible reputation heredab0yech0 has an incredible reputation heredab0yech0 has an incredible reputation heredab0yech0 has an incredible reputation here

Id definitely would not do any business with people from Africa. I saw programming about this kind of scam on Dateline NBC a couple days ago where some guy used a pic of a hot girl and was talking to guys in the US and then they would chat everyday for about a month or two and then she wants to get married to the US guy so the US guy assuming its true sends her money to come to the US... long story short African guy uses pic of hot girl to scam white guy out of $10,000
dab0yech0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 09:04 PM   #9
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

my friend got scammed big time!

Quote:
Hello, I am very interested in your item, and i will like to buy it urgently!,so i wanna ask you if its in good condition,and maybe you do accept Western Union Branded MONEY ORDER (BidPay) and if you do please inform me so that i will proceed to payment,and also to save you excess bills and because of my urgency i will be the one to pick up the item with my fedex account once the payment is approved via email by BidPay,because I am in england and i am buying this for a friend's son in west africa that is celebrating his birthday next week and i have been promising him all this while now i said i should, so i will handle the shipping my self to west africa,and i will like to inform you that i will be adding extra $50 because of my urgency. If it is okay by you , please reply me a.s.a.p with your full name and address and lbs of the package so that i can proceed to payments immediately!thanks
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 09:13 PM   #10
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

Funny thing is I listed my item as 420 and they offered 700. Must be a rook.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:36 PM   #11
YAWN
NBA All-star

YAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsfan1357

is it ip relay! i love that thing. so funny. go ahead.
YAWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 11:24 PM   #12
sunsfan1357
Word.

sunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAWN
is it ip relay! i love that thing. so funny. go ahead.

Yep. I used that thing before for prank calls too and now I started working there they make my life miserable
sunsfan1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 11:40 PM   #13
DatZNasty
NBA rookie of the year

DatZNasty is considered somewhat coolDatZNasty is considered somewhat coolDatZNasty is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker
Funny thing is I listed my item as 420 and they offered 700. Must be a rook.
No, that's how they do. This is a somewhat modified version of it but what he'll do is say he's going to send you some ridiculous some of money via check (like 1000$ on an item you only were wanting like 50$ for), but he needs you to do him a favor and forward 250$ of that to this other person as soon as you cash the check and he'll make up some reason he can't do it. You'll get the 1000$ check, deposit it, and then send the 250$ on. A week later, your bank realizes the check was fake and your account gets backcharged for the 250$
DatZNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 12:27 AM   #14
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatZNasty
No, that's how they do. This is a somewhat modified version of it but what he'll do is say he's going to send you some ridiculous some of money via check (like 1000$ on an item you only were wanting like 50$ for), but he needs you to do him a favor and forward 250$ of that to this other person as soon as you cash the check and he'll make up some reason he can't do it. You'll get the 1000$ check, deposit it, and then send the 250$ on. A week later, your bank realizes the check was fake and your account gets backcharged for the 250$
yep i had something like that come to me when i was selling some car parts, they were going to buy the parts and have a friend pick them up...they would send me a check for nearly twice what i wanted for the parts, then i was to give a check to their buddies to cover the costs they would inccur shipping the parts out of the country..i said no problem, shoot me the check and i'll bank it and as soon as it has cleared i'll give your friends a call to come pick up the parts...they never called back...lol
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 02:50 AM   #15
J_Rock3ts
The Truth

J_Rock3ts is a pretty well-respected posterJ_Rock3ts is a pretty well-respected posterJ_Rock3ts is a pretty well-respected poster

"I really don't **** with Africa, because people are starving there, and that's not baller to me."
J_Rock3ts is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: