Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-27-2007, 11:45 PM   #1
statman32
NBA Legend

Default What is the big deal about dog fighting?

While I do believe Mike Vick should serve some time if he was involved in this, please help me to understand why people are making such a big deal out of this? I've heard numerous people tell me he should serve life in prison and correct me if I'm wrong but a rep from the house suggested the death penalty.

The news is also reporting about these "rape" tables which is what they used to breed the dogs. Are you ****ing kidding me?
statman32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 11:46 PM   #2
STelfair31
National High School Star

Default Re: What is the big deal about dog fighting?

to be honest...no idea
STelfair31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 11:48 PM   #3
brwnman

I do believe it's inhumane to train dogs to fight and kill eachother... but I don't believe it deserves time to be honest... just a hefty or something...
brwnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 11:49 PM   #4
Richie2k6
Smooth Like Butter

It's animal abuse.
Richie2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 11:49 PM   #5
bigkingsfan
Gif-ted

Humans are attached to dogs that's why. If he was cockfighting no one would give a damn.
bigkingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 11:53 PM   #6
brwnman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkingsfan
Humans are attached to dogs that's why. If he was cockfighting no one would give a damn.
very true... they have legal competitions in some states of cockfighting... and though not all humans are attracted to dogs (I hate 'em, can't stand 'em), alot of people are certainly attached...
Old 07-27-2007, 11:53 PM   #7
Hurlyburly
Banned

Guess you've never had a pet.
Hurlyburly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 12:20 AM   #8
nash4eva!gosuns
Back!

it's horrible to think of something that can be so friendly and can mean so much to some people (though not much at all to others, it is clear) is trained to fight to kill or die..

it's not fair...animals don't have a choice
nash4eva!gosuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 12:26 AM   #9
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

Typical woman.

J/K.

Unless you think being an ******* is hot. Then I kid you not.
i seen hippos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 12:47 AM   #10
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Check the thread created by johnnybravo i believe to get why dog fighting is a big deal.

And the bad part about all of this is the silly generalizations that people make. Like someone mentioned cockfighting...can you prove that the people outraged over Vick are accepting cockfighting? No you cant. Its like because people are speaking out on a big named celeb that people didnt care if dogs were fought. The attentioned paid to Vick is the flip side of the attention paid to Vick when he is on your magazine cover, in your commercial, being hyped up as the "new breed QB" etc etc. Vick has benefitted laregly by his popularity that the people have given...now he is recieving the backend of it. And people wonder why or its too harsh. Its the price you pay when being a celeb and thinking your stupidty makes you exempt from this type of backlash.

Sure people are going extreme with the death penalty. So why are you even thinking thats what the majority want? The max he can get is 6 years and that tells me that while dogs are valued highly in this country our priorities when it comes to human lives still is #1. Because someone says Vick is scum and should die by eletrocution only after being slammed down to the ground...you think thats the general consensus of the f*cking public? Get real.

People need to realize animal right activists has always been around.
People need to realize ASSuming no one cares about the treatment of other animals because it doesnt dominate sportscenter is ridiculous. Like before Vick & dog fighting no one cared BS, who are you to make that statement? Exactly, sit back...stfu and go about your own business. Like PETA groups havent dedicated thier entire careers to protecting animals not just dogs. Its like someone making the statement no one cared about rape, woman being taken advantage of before Kobe Bryant was accused of rape. Before then no one cared about Jane Doe in Arkansas who was raped by 2 men. Huh? Lets use our brains and the common sense god gave us.

I think its moronic and borderline retarded to even ask what the big deal is about dog fighting. Like you were born 4hrs ago.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 01:18 AM   #11
reppy
Apparently likes anime

No one cared about whether or not anyone cared about dog fighting until I read this post. Thanks.
reppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 01:23 AM   #12
White Chocolate
5-time NBA All-Star

It's barbaric and sick. Why should any animal have to fight until the other dies? How would you like it if someone kidnapped you, put you in chains, and demanded either you fight or die?
White Chocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 01:25 AM   #13
sixerfan82
College star

i guess you'd be ok if the movie gladiator was real eh?

it's sick, barbaric, and puts your rights as a human being in another's hands

if you think its ok because its a dog, lets take your family pet and kill it now since thats its fate
sixerfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 01:34 AM   #14
Laker4Lyfe
City Of Champions

The thing that bugs me the most about this entire thing is uneducated people who have no clue of the origin of the Pitbull Terrier saying dumb sh*t. Like drug dealers, NBA & NFL players invented dog fighting. As if dog fighting and Pitbulls originated in the inner city.

People should read a book sometime and know what the heck they are talking about before they speak. ESPECIALLY if they are gonna be on TV or in print spitting that garbage.

As you can see by my avatar I own a beautiful Staffordshire Terrier and I HAVE read lots of books so I know her history. No I would NEVER fight my dog and I think that it's horrific what Vick has done/been accused of doing.
Laker4Lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 01:37 AM   #15
brwnman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker4Lyfe
The thing that bugs me the most about this entire thing is uneducated people who have no clue of the origin of the Pitbull Terrier saying dumb sh*t. Like drug dealers, NBA & NFL players invented dog fighting. As if dog fighting and Pitbulls originated in the inner city.

People should read a book sometime and know what the heck they are talking about before they speak. ESPECIALLY if they are gonna be on TV or in print spitting that garbage.

As you can see by my avatar I own a beautiful Staffordshire Terrier and I HAVE read lots of books so I know her history. No I would NEVER fight my dog and I think that it's horrific what Vick has done/been accused of doing.

you know you called people dumb sh!t and told them you know alot of stuff about dogs and such, but you didn't tell us what you know... so in the end, you just said you wouldn't fight your dog and that's it... it did not mean anything, if you don't actually tell us what you know...
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: