Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-28-2007, 01:39 PM   #1
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

mlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Ken Griffey Jr. appreciation thread

I wanted to give much love to the greatest player of his generation, Ken Griffey Jr. I'm a huge Cincinnati Reds fan and although we are having a terrible season, Griffey has made his return into the upper echelon of players in MLB. .275/25hr/67rbi baby. In addition to that, he has played a solid right field and has remained healthy.

Griffey in his prime--the best 5 tool player in the game and was well on his way to SHATTERING the all-time HR record. Injuries have stood in the way, but he still stands a decent chance of getting around 700career homeruns.
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 01:40 PM   #2
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

Skywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Ken Griffey Jr. appreciation thread

What a player.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 01:44 PM   #3
brwnman

brwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputation

He is a great player... but he is not the best player of his generation... no need to overrate him, but no doubt him and Bonds would be having a great chase to the HR record if he were healthy...
brwnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 01:45 PM   #4
FashionIssues
Smooth Operator

FashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

my favorite swing of all time. picture perfect. unbelievable defensive player and an arm in his hey day. bad succession of injuries at the turn of the century robbed him of chasing the hr crown.
FashionIssues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 01:48 PM   #5
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

mlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by FashionIssues
my favorite swing of all time. picture perfect. unbelievable defensive player and an arm in his hey day. bad succession of injuries at the turn of the century robbed him of chasing the hr crown.

I fear that the "what if?" will unfourtunately, be his lasting legecy
Old 07-28-2007, 01:50 PM   #6
brwnman

brwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputation

ya he does one of the best looking swings around... and you know any other player playing in Great American Ballpark would have got drilled for playing there, because the outrageous home-run numbers hit in that park, but not griffey ... it's more of the fact that he's been consistent in his career in hitting homeruns...
Old 07-28-2007, 03:38 PM   #7
Los Angeles
A Diamond In the Rough

Los Angeles has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
but he is not the best player of his generation...

When he was healthy and with Seattle, I'm sure Babe Ruth and Ted Williams were sweating from heaven watching this kid on pace to completely destroy almost every major record in the baseball.

I seen a special on Alex Rodriguez last night, how he has a chance to become the youngest player to reach 500 home runs, and on pace to have something like 900 home runs...well to me Ken Griffey Jr was literally twice the player Alex Rodriguez is.

I mean, the KID could steal 30 bases, hit 50 home runs, and be the best defensive center fielder in the game...he had a great arm, was extremely clutch. Had major endorsement deals in Seattle not New York or Boston...he had his own video games, there is no way that he wasn't the best player of his generation in those years. Sure you can bring longevity into this, but when he was healthy to me he was clearly better then a Barry Bonds...who I might add, out of nowhere gained substantial muscle at a much older age, and prior to that time has NOT hit over 50 home runs ONCE in his career...I know Bonds is from my state and all, but I really have little respect for what he's doing right now. I know he's close to breaking the record, but I don't even think I'll watch the high lites of it. Hopefully I'm completely wrong about him, and hopefully it's just my arrogance speaking...but I honestly don't think that's the case.

I would go as far as saying when healthy he was the greatest player of all-time...name me a player that had as much to offer as a healthy Ken Griffey Jr. Even with 4-5 injury prone seasons, he'll still arguably be considered one of the 20 greatest players of all-time. He will most likely join the 600 club mark, a first stream hall of fame...numerous gold gloves, I just wish he never got injured, I would have so much more interest in the sport of baseball with a healthy Griffey.

Did he not just make the all-star team as a starter? After all he's been through, that's remarkable...and may I mention he never popped unidentified subscription pills like McGuire, Sosa (who also used a corked bat), Bonds and all those other overrated athletes.
Los Angeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 03:48 PM   #8
PrinceOthaPalace
I hit open layups

PrinceOthaPalace has an OK reputation so far

yeah i agree he is one of the best players of this generation and looks like if the reds keep it up they could have a winning record
PrinceOthaPalace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 05:12 PM   #9
brwnman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Angeles
When he was healthy and with Seattle, I'm sure Babe Ruth and Ted Williams were sweating from heaven watching this kid on pace to completely destroy almost every major record in the baseball.

I seen a special on Alex Rodriguez last night, how he has a chance to become the youngest player to reach 500 home runs, and on pace to have something like 900 home runs...well to me Ken Griffey Jr was literally twice the player Alex Rodriguez is.

I mean, the KID could steal 30 bases, hit 50 home runs, and be the best defensive center fielder in the game...he had a great arm, was extremely clutch. Had major endorsement deals in Seattle not New York or Boston...he had his own video games, there is no way that he wasn't the best player of his generation in those years. Sure you can bring longevity into this, but when he was healthy to me he was clearly better then a Barry Bonds...who I might add, out of nowhere gained substantial muscle at a much older age, and prior to that time has NOT hit over 50 home runs ONCE in his career...I know Bonds is from my state and all, but I really have little respect for what he's doing right now. I know he's close to breaking the record, but I don't even think I'll watch the high lites of it. Hopefully I'm completely wrong about him, and hopefully it's just my arrogance speaking...but I honestly don't think that's the case.

I would go as far as saying when healthy he was the greatest player of all-time...name me a player that had as much to offer as a healthy Ken Griffey Jr. Even with 4-5 injury prone seasons, he'll still arguably be considered one of the 20 greatest players of all-time. He will most likely join the 600 club mark, a first stream hall of fame...numerous gold gloves, I just wish he never got injured, I would have so much more interest in the sport of baseball with a healthy Griffey.

Did he not just make the all-star team as a starter? After all he's been through, that's remarkable...and may I mention he never popped unidentified subscription pills like McGuire, Sosa (who also used a corked bat), Bonds and all those other overrated athletes.

you said he was the greatest but kept on inserting the words if healthy... and that my man, is the key... "if"... and there is no way he was twice the player A-Rod is right now... see I hate when people start overrating... and you called Bonds overrated... you can say suspicious, but not overrated... he had a .609 OBP in one season, do you understand the greatness of that? reaching base 61% of the times... griffey highest OBP was .408... also, Griffey wasn't all that great at stealing... Bonds eclipses his career mark by over 300 in that department... Bonds has a better career batting average, higher OBP (Bonds has had 16 seasons with an OBP of over .400 - Griffey only 2) , higher slugging percentage, higher OPS, better stolen bases-caught stealing ratio, bonds strikes out less...

another thing that you must understand is, that if Bonds was pitched to, he would be on pace for 850-900 homeruns this season...

listen, I love griffey, amazing athlete, great player... TOP 20 all time? YES... greatest player ever? not close... greatest player of his generation? no... if healthy, he could certainly be in the conversation, but agian man, if healthy... also, people seem to forgo that Bonds plays in a bad park for left handers - so you really gotta give it up to him for his ability to hit the ball the other way... Griffey currently plays in Cinci... prob. the best homerun hitting park... there are some other great parks, like in Colorado, Philadelphia and Texas...
Old 07-28-2007, 05:24 PM   #10
MJ23
Banned

MJ23 has an OK reputation so far

^^^^ok, but Ken Griffey never took steroids....
MJ23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 05:29 PM   #11
FashionIssues
Smooth Operator

FashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ23
^^^^ok, but Ken Griffey never took steroids....
FashionIssues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 06:42 PM   #12
JtotheIzzo
Cavs eh? Ok then!

JtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

how can anyone say he never took steroids? He bulked up just like everyone else did.

cant say he did, cant say he didn't.

welcome to this era.

Not the best player of his era, but one of the best players of his era and the most hyped player, maybe ever, when he entered the league. That is why he got all that attention in Seattle, it was the hype.
JtotheIzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 06:46 PM   #13
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JtotheIzzo
how can anyone say he never took steroids? He bulked up just like everyone else did.

cant say he did, cant say he didn't.

welcome to this era.

Not the best player of his era, but one of the best players of his era and the most hyped player, maybe ever, when he entered the league. That is why he got all that attention in Seattle, it was the hype.

There were no real statistical spikes for him. He remained pretty consistent throughout the years. If anything, he relied too much on pure talent when he was young and didn't go a good enough job of hitting the weight room and keeping in shape as he got older.

There is nothing about his body that is "unnatural." Everyone gets slightly bigger as they get older.
Old 07-28-2007, 06:48 PM   #14
JtotheIzzo
Cavs eh? Ok then!

JtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh1981
There were no real statistical spikes for him. He remained pretty consistent throughout the years. If anything, he relied too much on pure talent when he was young and didn't go a good enough job of hitting the weight room and keeping in shape as he got older.

There is nothing about his body that is "unnatural." Everyone gets slightly bigger as they get older.

yeah, you would know more about him than I would so I cant really argue that (although I am rife with scepticism these days when it comes to baseball).

As a Reds fan dont you feel bad that he was never able to win a lot in Cincinnati and they couldn't put a good team together for any length of time?
JtotheIzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 06:50 PM   #15
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JtotheIzzo
yeah, you would know more about him than I would so I cant really argue that (although I am rife with scepticism these days when it comes to baseball).

As a Reds fan dont you feel bad that he was never able to win a lot in Cincinnati and they couldn't put a good team together for any length of time?

Awful front management, poor coaching personnel, and the aquisition of retread position players and horrible arms in the bullpen has led to the destruction of Reds baseball. Griffey is really the only reason to go to the ballpark
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: