Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Boston Celtics Forum

Boston Celtics Forum Boston Celtics message board - Boston celtics fan forum

Old 07-14-2006, 09:13 AM   #1
yeahwhathesaid
I brick open layups

yeahwhathesaid has an OK reputation so far
Default pierce to sign a deal worth 60 million for a 3 year extension

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2518514

BOSTON -- The Boston Celtics have agreed to terms with forward Paul Pierce on a three-year contract extension worth almost $60 million, pending league approval.

Spokesman Jeff Twiss said Thursday that the team has worked out a deal with Pierce on a contract extension that would keep him in Boston beyond the 2007-08 season, when he has a player option for about $16 million.

Terms of the extension weren't released, but will reportedly be for three years and about $59 million. The NBA office must approve the deal before it can become official.

Also Thursday, the Celtics said Pierce is scheduled to have minor surgery on his left elbow in August. He should be ready for the start of training camp.
yeahwhathesaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 09:22 AM   #2
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

3yr $60mil? :confused:
GOBB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 09:47 AM   #3
adamcz
Bucks fan

adamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cool

Jesus, that's like a Shaq deal. Paul's a great player, but... wow.
adamcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 09:49 AM   #4
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

-"thats it? He's underpaid."
GOBB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 09:53 AM   #5
Real Men Wear Green
Don't panic.

Real Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I guess it's the price for getting him to nursemaid a young team through the rebuilding phase.
Real Men Wear Green is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 09:55 AM   #6
Bulls_Fan20
Local High School Star

Bulls_Fan20 has decent reputationBulls_Fan20 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Bulls_Fan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 10:22 AM   #7
yeahwhathesaid
I brick open layups

yeahwhathesaid has an OK reputation so far

about how much was the lebron deal?, i know bosh's deal was about 43 million and wades was about 63 million
yeahwhathesaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 11:36 AM   #8
Zalendar
Decent playground baller

Zalendar has an OK reputation so far

Bosh, Wade and Lebron all have the same deal. Max money for 3 years + player option for 4th.
Zalendar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 12:16 PM   #9
GothamKnight
High school junior varsity star

GothamKnight has an OK reputation so far

How did Pierce get this deal? isn't it more than the max? or is it because he has an old school contract?
GothamKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 12:18 PM   #10
XxNeXuSxX
The Master Debater

XxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB

GOBB gets his name back?
XxNeXuSxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 12:20 PM   #11
Bourne
Valancais for RoY

Bourne has not been impressing people

I would not give Paul Pierce 20 million. Especially when the team will not make any big splash whatsoever in any of the 3 years in which he is being payed 20 million. Maybe in year 3 the Celtics will pass the first round of the playoffs, but nothing I feel that justifies 20 mil a year.
Bourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 12:22 PM   #12
adamcz
Bucks fan

adamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by GothamKnight
How did Pierce get this deal? isn't it more than the max? or is it because he has an old school contract?
Yeah, it's an extension of an old deal.
adamcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 12:37 PM   #13
Real Men Wear Green
Don't panic.

Real Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne
I would not give Paul Pierce 20 million. Especially when the team will not make any big splash whatsoever in any of the 3 years in which he is being payed 20 million. Maybe in year 3 the Celtics will pass the first round of the playoffs, but nothing I feel that justifies 20 mil a year.
P is a top 15, arguably top 10 player. 5-time All-Star in his prime. If Danny doesn't give him the max someone else will. That's what superstars get paid, regardless of how much the team will or won't win. And if you let him walk for nothing then you lose what little fan support you had left. Meaning you make no money. You have to pay him or trade him for equivalent talent, who you would also have to pay. No getting around it.
Real Men Wear Green is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 12:41 PM   #14
KingofKings718
Great young streetballer

KingofKings718 has an OK reputation so far

props to Pierce for being loyal. I'ma cop that alternate Celtics jersey now.
KingofKings718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 12:42 PM   #15
Bourne
Valancais for RoY

Bourne has not been impressing people

I agree with you there. In Boston's situation, where Paul has been loyal throughout a rebuilding process (that will continue), an exceedingly large contract is needed for him to stay and be happy.

But also, the Celtics are certainly not going to do anything significant in the next 3 years (neither will Toronto, I'm not hating Boston here) so paying that 60 million seems a bit useless.

I'd seek trades if I were Boston, because (although I've gone on about not paying him so much) it's better to pay him 60 mil than losing him for nothing.
Bourne is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: