Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > G League Forum, Minor League and International Basketball Forum

G League Forum, Minor League and International Basketball Forum G League Forum, Minor League and world international basketball forum

Old 08-03-2007, 02:05 AM   #1
jesronne
Learning to shoot layups

Default who is Gregory Slaughter???

can u give us any background???

does this man have a bright future... unlike EJ Feighl
jesronne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 09:15 AM   #2
snipes12
Dirk Madness

Default Re: who is Gregory Slaughter???

the son of sgt. slaughter ?
snipes12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 07:31 PM   #3
DirtyB41
I usually hit open layups

I know he's 6'11.....so he's gotta have at least SOME potential.
DirtyB41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 12:48 AM   #4
Lebron23
2nd Greatest Player

Slaughter Mania (Web Link)

2 baskets, or 4 points in Slaughter's first game on Philippine shores.

After years & years of waiting, I think at last, Philippine basketball has finally found it: EJ Feihl's replacement.

In a way, I have mixed feelings about seeing all the mania that Slaughter has generated.

First, a 6'11" player is quite a novelty, not only in Cebu, but I guess the whole Philippines. In my lifetime, & I guess for most Pinoys also, I have seen only ONE legitimate 6'11" player play out there on the court, & that is EJ Feihl.

Reading the accounts of "Slaughter Mania" at the Sun Star Cebu website, & you'd think it was Lebron James playing out there on the court, instead of a mediocre 7-foot Center.

And that, really is the problem: We just don't have height, which is a critical component in basketball at its higher levels. Tall players are just so rare that we end up celebrating such novelty when it finally comes around.

I take consolation in that we are not only the ones in this position. I saw a basketball movie recently (unfortunately I missed the title) about the greatest upset in US NCAA basketball history. In that movie, the townsfolk ended up idolizing their underdog team for the rest of their lives, even if they never got anywhere near the US NCAA championship again.

I guess sometimes, its just not about winning, its loving the game.

As for Slaughter, if ends up making "2 baskets" the next couple of games, the novelty will likely eventually wear off. His future? He MIGHT reach the PBA. After all, EJ Feihl did.
Lebron23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 07:58 AM   #5
Lebron23
2nd Greatest Player

Sunday, August 05, 2007

‘Slaughter mania’

By Marian C. Baring
Sun.Star Staff Reporter

THE Cebu Coliseum was filled until 9:30 p.m. all because everyone wanted to have a glimpse of Filipino-American 6-foot-11wonder, Gregory Slaughter, who played in his debut game with University of the Visayas Green Lancers in yesterday’s main offering of the Cebu Schools Athletic Foundation Inc. (Cesafi) opening.

UV, with its all-star powerhouse cast, defeated the University of Cebu Webmasters, 119-110, in an unusual backdoor win for
the defending champion UV.

“All these people are here to see who this Slaughter person is,” said Cesafi commissioner Felix Tiukinhoy.

The game started in what could be a drag, until the 4:28 mark in the first period, when Slaughter was fielded in and scored on a breakaway lay-up.

Such is the Slaughter-mania that that simple move sent the coliseum into pandemonium.

Slaughter was under the microscope, people shouted his name and every little chance that he was open for a shot the crowd tells the Lancers to give Slaughter the ball.

“I am just so overwhelmed at the attention that he is getting,” said Slaughter’s father William.

William said that he was surprised that even the taxi drivers know his son’s name.

Despite all the bustle about him, Slaughter, however, had a lackluster game as he was given little play time, and scored only two baskets. On both occasions, the crowd went crazy.

He, however, was a major force at the post as anyone attempting to drive for the basket, changes his mind and backs off.

“He was nervous before the game, but he was able to compose himself during the game. I think he did pretty well considering this is his first game in front of a very large crowd,” said William.

UV also proved that it is not a one-man team, as head coach Elmer “Boy” Cabahug banked on his regulars to take control of the game.

This was not the case in the early goings of the game as UV found itself at the mercy of the UC Webmasters, who seemed undaunted by their opponents’ size.

UC, playing with passion and gusto and a tenacious defense to boot, dominated the early part of the game, and built up a 10-point lead, 69-59, at the start of the penultimate round behind the resiliency of Jonathan Canceran, Allain Abellanosa and rookie Rommel Luceño.

The third frame was the turning point of the game. UC started the quarter leading in double digits and ended it lagging behind by nine points.

The turnaround came as UV’s Harlou Villanil, Ariel Mepaña, Michael Luga and Chris Diputado initiated a 15-5 run, which turned the game around for good.

When the dust settled, Luga topscored for UV with 24 points, while Villanil, who used to play for UC, scattered 20 points in his first game as a Lancer.
Old 08-05-2007, 10:11 PM   #6
jesronne
Learning to shoot layups

dapat gastosan yan ng UV... why dont get ramon fernandez to train him personally... lyk olujawon on yao ming.... =)
Old 08-07-2007, 08:52 AM   #7
HoopNightmare
Not airballing my layups anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesronne
dapat gastosan yan ng UV... why dont get ramon fernandez to train him personally... lyk olujawon on yao ming.... =)

Give him playing time if you want him to do well. Sign him up for the Sea games.
HoopNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 01:45 PM   #8
Lebron23
2nd Greatest Player

Slaughter scores 11 points in his 2nd game !!! :

Lancers zap Wildcats in fight-marred battle

By Gabby G. Malagar
Thursday, August 9, 2007
Michael Luga finished what Harlow Villanil started as the University of the Visayas (UV) Green Lancers smothered the Cebu Institute of Technology (CIT) Wildcats, 99-61, in a tumultuous match marred by a near-fight and two ejections in last night’s 7th Cebu Schools Athletic Foundation, Inc. (CESAFI) basketball tournament at the Cebu Coliseum.

From a sluggish start, the Lancers caught fire in the second period but not after allowing the Wildcats to take a 10-0 start and a 13-3 lead in the early goings.

Villanil heaved the go-ahead riple, 19-18, and was already unstoppable in the second period hitting three consecutive triples that sent a stern warning to the opposition as the Lancers took a 46-33 halftime lead.

The third period was a virtual shooting clinic by the Lancers, while the Wildcats were in disarray groping for points they could hardly find when the former employed a solid trapping defense.

It was when Luga, a rookie but a veteran in the commercial derby, took turns in scoring with the Lancers ripping the game apart with a eye-popping 39-point advantage with just a few seconds before the final buzzer.

The Wildcats themselves prolonged their agony when Ryan Montealto was thrown out in the final 1:44 of the contest for throwing an elbow on Chris Victor Diputado. In retaliation, Diputado lunged a hard foul against Montealto that also caused his ejection.

CIT coach Alex de la Torre’s temper also flared up when CIT was slapped with a bench technical during the slight commotion.

In the ensuing play, Dexter Capaning and a rugged UV defender Ritchum Dennison figured in a heated altercation when Capaning reacted on an offensive foul by Dennison, which was already decided by the referee time with 1:15 left to play. Some players from both benches attempted to run into the centercourt but the proverbial coder heads prevailed in putting the situation under control.

Luga, who was fielded only late in the third period until the end of the match, led the Lancers with 19 points, while Villanil had 18 points. Even Fil-Am Gregory Fuentes Slaughter joined in the scoring fray as he exploited his height advantage scoring 11 points. Von Harry Lanete and Bonifer Sendrijas had identical 12 points for the Lancers, who have now accumulated an overall 70-1 win-loss record in six years.

The scores

UV (Srs.) (99) - Luga 19, Villanil 18, Lanete 12, Sendrijas 12, Slaughter 11, Tancongco 5, Berame 4, Mepaña 4, Lao 4, Dennison 3, Diputado 2

CIT (Srs.) (61) - Abobo 19, Aniñon 9, Resilla 6, Reyes 6, Montealto 5, Villarba 5, Dela Cerna 4, Lamosa 3, Molero 2, Capaning 2
Old 08-08-2007, 07:19 PM   #9
jesronne
Learning to shoot layups

wow 70-1 graveh yan ha.... ahahahahahaha
Old 08-19-2007, 03:26 PM   #10
Lebron23
2nd Greatest Player

Slaughter's recent game:

Padayao rallies USC against SWU

Monday, August 20, 2007

UNIVERSITY of San Carlos’s Carlo Padayao showed a real threat to the Southwestern University’s bid in the Cebu Schools Athletic Foundation Inc. (Cesafi) Saturday night at the Danao City Sports Complex by making himself feel at home at the three-point lane.

Padayao led USC to streak to its fourth straight win, scoring 15 of his 17 point production from the arc to defeat the SWU Cobras, 67-60.

USC’s Niño Ramirez had 15, while Enrico Llanto, who scored more than 30 in his last game, only had 12 last Saturday. The stuntman, Eluid Poligrates, made up for a handful of errors in the previous games to lead SWU with 14 markers.

In the first game, University of the Visayas Green Lancers overpowered the hapless USPF, 88-55.

UV’s coach Elmer Caba-hug’s experiment in fielding his big men worked as it easily slaughtered (the opponent). Greg Slaughter, UV’s priced possession, led his team’s charge with 19 markers on top of the 13 rebounds he made.
USC and UV, which fought for the championships last year, found themselves sharing the top spot with identical 4-0 win-loss slates.

UV (88)-[B]Slaughter 19, [/b]Lanete 14, Luga 10, Villanil 8, Mepana 6, Dennison 6, Arda 5, Manigque 5, Lao 4, Diputado 4, Berame 4, Lasala 3 USP (55) Rogado 21, Mancera 6, Paradero 6, Monterde 6, Gulane 5, Ortuda 4, Ybanez 3, Tabada 2, Gerundio 2 USC (67) Padayao 17, Ramirez 15, Llanto 12, Lazalita 7, Igao 7, Padillo 6, Joven 2, Codilla 1

SWU (60) Poligrates 14, Armecin 12, Canoniga 11, Zanoria 8, Litorja 5, Escober 5, Jalandoni 4, Pacquiao 1. (MCB)

- Slaughter might as well be the future of our RP National Team
Old 08-23-2007, 01:47 PM   #11
HoopNightmare

What colleges do they have in the Visayas with a good basketball program?
My 18 year old brother is interested in playing college ball in our native country. He played high school basketball in North Carolina and did decent. Let me know the schools and the league info if you got em'.
Old 09-02-2007, 04:49 PM   #12
GOBB_Junior
Banned

Slaughter bombs San Miguel with 12 points:

Beermen vanquish CESAFI All-Stars

By Caecent No-ot Magsumbol

Monday, September 3, 2007

Dondon Hontiveros put up a great show before his adoring Cebuano fans, cashing in 17 points to lead San Miguel Beer to a 90-86 triumph over the CESAFI All-Stars during their charity basketball match yesterday at the full-packed Cebu Coliseum.

The Beermen were trailing most of the way, including at 41-47 at halftime, but unloaded a 16-2 bomb in the final four minutes of the game to change the course of the match in their favor.

Hontiveros was backed up by Larry Fonacier and Enrico Villanueva with 12 markers apiece as the Beermen reminded the CESAFI young guns that experience is sometimes sharper than youth on the hardcourt.

The Beermen seemed too complacent at first, allowing the CESAFI stars to stage several rallies, but the visiting pros took care of the business with finesse when the game was on the line.

Ariel Mepaña topscored for the CESAFI All-Stars with 16 points. The only other double-digit scorer for CESAFI was 6-foot-11 Fil-Am Gregory Fuentes-Slaughter, Mepaña’s UV teammate with 12 markers.
After the match, the CESAFI players of coach Elmer “Boy” Cabahug got some enlightening words from San Miguel head coach Siot Tanquincen, saying that if they only play harder, they would go places just like Hontiveros.

“They’re good. They play tough. They really know what to do. Just keep on practicing and play their best at all times,” said Tanquincen.

Hontiveros plans to donate proceeds of the highly-successful event to finance scholarship grants to poor but deserving students.

Last year, Hontiveros spearheaded two similar events for-a-cause. Income of the first event was donated to the landslide victims in Guinsaugon, Leyte, while the second was for the benefit of the less privileged kids of Don Bosco Boys Home, which holds a special place in Dondon’s heart being a Bosconian.

The scores

SMB (90) - Hontiveros 17, Fonacier 12, Villanueva 12, Espinas 9, Wilson 8, Calaguio 7, Eman 7, Tugade 7, Ildefonso 6, Gonzales 3, Tenorio 2

CESAFI All-Stars (86) - Mepaña 16, Slaughter 12, Zanoria 9, Llanto 8, Deputado 7, Abellanosa 6, Berame 6, Abobo 5, Llanete 4, Luga 4, Ramirez 3, Gudez 2, Malinao 2, Rogado 2
GOBB_Junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 09:14 PM   #13
HoopNightmare

C.e.s.a.f.i. ?????
Old 10-01-2007, 01:34 AM   #14
super_defender
Saw a basketball once

Guys any update on Slaughter??? I wanna see his development.
super_defender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 07:42 PM   #15
Lebron23
2nd Greatest Player

Gregory Slaughter in action

He did not have a great performance in the Collegiate National League, and he struggle facing a much smaller frontline from the other teams.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: