Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2007, 11:51 PM   #16
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 14,987
i seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Pearl Jam or The Smashing Pumpkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy
In terms of annoying, tone-deaf fans? Yes.

I'm glad we can agree on that.

In terms of being a better band, we can agree as well.
i seen hippos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 11:57 PM   #17
HitandRun Reggie
I hit open layups
 
HitandRun Reggie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 162
HitandRun Reggie has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Pearl Jam or The Smashing Pumpkins

Pearl Jam is one of the cheesiest, crappiest bands ever.

So The Pumpkins win by default.
HitandRun Reggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 12:25 AM   #18
White Chocolate
5-time NBA All-Star
 
White Chocolate's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 9,624
White Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Pearl Jam or The Smashing Pumpkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitandRun Reggie
Pearl Jam is one of the cheesiest, crappiest bands ever.

So The Pumpkins win by default.


I know most people here agree The Smashing Pumpkins are the better band, but I think most will also agree that Pearl Jam is not a crappy band.
White Chocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 02:28 AM   #19
mid80sjordan
High School JV MVP
 
mid80sjordan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: the dirty.
Posts: 463
mid80sjordan has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Pearl Jam or The Smashing Pumpkins

theys all wack

i hate guns and roses so much

**** a pearl jam
**** an iron maiden

smashing pumpkins like 5/10 maybe

poo poo on these bands
mid80sjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 03:47 PM   #20
lurch67
Caution: Adult Content
 
lurch67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,988
lurch67 has decent reputation
Default Re: Pearl Jam or The Smashing Pumpkins

If I must choose between either of these two, can I just drive soup spoons through my eyeballs instead?
lurch67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 09:42 AM   #21
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™
 
geeWiz15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: limbo
Posts: 5,765
geeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation here
Default Re: Pearl Jam or The Smashing Pumpkins

This basically boils down to,

Irreversible damage to my ears, or irreversible damage to my balls?
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 11:53 AM   #22
Rab
Jared Dudley's #1 Fan
 
Rab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Purple Palace
Posts: 2,870
Rab is popular on this boardRab is popular on this boardRab is popular on this boardRab is popular on this board
Default Re: Pearl Jam or The Smashing Pumpkins

I think this is a good comparison band wise. Both are two of my favorite of all time. I grew up in the grunge era, so bands like the Pumpkins and PJ will never get old to me.

That being said, Pearl Jam has always been my favorite band, and still is to this day. They started of with a bang with their first two albums in Ten and Vs, and then started to slip a little, mostly because they started changing their style a bit, and most trendy fans decided that they sucked, yet decided that the **** known as Limp Bizkit and Korn were pretty good. IMO, some of their better music was written after Vs, most notably to me Vitalogy, and Yield, which are my two favorite albums. Eddie Vedder is my favorite lead man and vocalist ever. Their live shows are consistently better than most any other band out there. I followed them for about 4 shows around AZ, CA, NV, and all the shows were unique and different, but still killer.

My favorite Pearl Jam songs

Immortality
Off He Goes
In My Tree
Release
Leash
Black
In Hiding
You Are
Nothingman
I Got ID

....many more

Smashing Pumpkins were always right below Pearl Jam, and right above bands like Alice In Chains and Soundgarden. Billy Corgan, like Vedder, has one of the more unique voices in rock. I don't think there was a kid in middle school or high school that didn't own Siamese Dream, which is one of my favorite albums to this day. As with Pearl Jam, I have seen the Pumpkins on numerous ocassions, and I have been hit or miss with them as far as their live performances go. I went to one show in 99 in which they were promoting their unreleased "Machina..." album. The venue was small and they only seated about 1,000 people. That was a fantastic show!! Then later that year I went to their actual "Machina...." Tour and it wasn't great at all.

My favorite Pumpkins songs
With Every Light
Bodies
1979
Cherub Rock
Today
Muzzle
This Time
Ava Adore
Bullet With Butterfly Wings

....many more

Last edited by Rab : 08-07-2007 at 01:06 PM.
Rab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 11:56 AM   #23
MJ23
Banned
 
MJ23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 756
MJ23 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Pearl Jam or The Smashing Pumpkins

i rather smash pumpkins than jam pearls
MJ23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 12:56 PM   #24
CakeorDeath
Local High School Star
 
CakeorDeath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,556
CakeorDeath has decent reputation
Default Re: Pearl Jam or The Smashing Pumpkins

LOL at people saying Pearl Jam, a lock for the rock and roll HOF, sucks.

A lot of people don't like them because they refused to make 'Ten' over and over and over. They carefully and thoughtfully developed their sound and always created extraordinarily well-crafted records. Some of their musical tangents are admittedly a bit odd and sometimes seem a bit esoteric or out of place, but that's the price you pay sometimes when you are trying to make music that is occasionally a direct hit to the gut and at other times subtle and nuanced.

As much as the ISH community worships bands like Radiohead, I'd think they would appreciate that a little more than has been demonstrated in this thread. The fact is that Pearl Jam remains one of the most important and influential bands of the last 20 years.

As far as Smashing Pumpkins is concerned, Billy Corgan has an amazing talent to fuse different musical genres and styles together into a sound that is quite exhilarating, but the fact remains that his egomania and dictatorship over the band's musical direction has prevented them from producing a consistenly solid record arguably since Siamese Dream. Mellon Collie has its moments, for sure, but is also a complete mess in parts. And their latest record, though it will certainly appeal to a given taste, is by and large a disaster.

Both groups have created brilliant work, but as far as the questions of who the better band is and who has grown more musically, creatively, and artistically? Pearl Jam, and its really not close.
CakeorDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 01:06 PM   #25
Rab
Jared Dudley's #1 Fan
 
Rab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Purple Palace
Posts: 2,870
Rab is popular on this boardRab is popular on this boardRab is popular on this boardRab is popular on this board
Default Re: Pearl Jam or The Smashing Pumpkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeorDeath
LOL at people saying Pearl Jam, a lock for the rock and roll HOF, sucks.

A lot of people don't like them because they refused to make 'Ten' over and over and over. They carefully and thoughtfully developed their sound and always created extraordinarily well-crafted records. Some of their musical tangents are admittedly a bit odd and sometimes seem a bit esoteric or out of place, but that's the price you pay sometimes when you are trying to make music that is occasionally a direct hit to the gut and at other times subtle and nuanced.

As much as the ISH community worships bands like Radiohead, I'd think they would appreciate that a little more than has been demonstrated in this thread. The fact is that Pearl Jam remains one of the most important and influential bands of the last 20 years.

As far as Smashing Pumpkins is concerned, Billy Corgan has an amazing talent to fuse different musical genres and styles together into a sound that is quite exhilarating, but the fact remains that his egomania and dictatorship over the band's musical direction has prevented them from producing a consistenly solid record arguably since Siamese Dream. Mellon Collie has its moments, for sure, but is also a complete mess in parts. And their latest record, though it will certainly appeal to a given taste, is by and large a disaster.

Both groups have created brilliant work, but as far as the questions of who the better band is and who has grown more musically, creatively, and artistically? Pearl Jam, and its really not close.
Bravo. Simply a great post.
Rab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 01:12 PM   #26
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 14,987
i seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Pearl Jam or The Smashing Pumpkins

Great albums have to sound great and have great replayability. In all honesty, both bands failed in those regards a lot of the time so to say one band is clearly better isn't right. I mean I could play different kinds of music and say my music is better because I took more risks. Not fair. I still say SP > PJ.

As far as innovativeness and better experimentalization/progressiveness:

Dream Theatre >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Pearl Jam and Radiohead.

You guys who only listen to rock and indie **** will never know.
i seen hippos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 01:33 PM   #27
Rab
Jared Dudley's #1 Fan
 
Rab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Purple Palace
Posts: 2,870
Rab is popular on this boardRab is popular on this boardRab is popular on this boardRab is popular on this board
Default Re: Pearl Jam or The Smashing Pumpkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by i seen hippos
Great albums have to sound great and have great replayability. In all honesty, both bands failed in those regards a lot of the time so to say one band is clearly better isn't right. I mean I could play different kinds of music and say my music is better because I took more risks. Not fair. I still say SP > PJ.

As far as innovativeness and better experimentalization/progressiveness:

Dream Theatre >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Pearl Jam and Radiohead.

You guys who only listen to rock and indie **** will never know.
In all honesty, I have listened to a lot of Dream Theatre, and I just wasn't that impressed. Not my cup of tea. Not saying that they aren't a talented or innovative band, but I don't connect with them at all.

Music is soley based on opinion. There is no way to actually prove one band is better than the next. Music is something that a person has to connect with. It has to move you. Just because someone agrees with an opinon doesn't mean they're right or wrong. You can argue that bands are more talented than others, but talent does not always = good music.

This is why I still think Pearl Jam is better. Though they took risks, and changed their style multiple times, I was still able to connect with it. Just because something isn't mainstream or forced down your throat by a radio station doesn't mean it's not good music. I think there are a good majority of people who are close-minded to a lot of good music just because it's not the most popular. I still listen to all of PJ's albums on a frequent basis. The quality of good music + the longevity of the band itself = better than SP IMO.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with indie music. Some of the better music I have heard over the last 7-8 years has come from the indie bands. Today's mainstream music is so redundant and generic it's disgusting. The indie scene is a breathe of fresh air to me.

Last edited by Rab : 08-07-2007 at 01:35 PM.
Rab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 02:06 PM   #28
Enigmatism
Raving Lunatic
 
Enigmatism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 812
Enigmatism has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Pearl Jam or The Smashing Pumpkins

There are too many Pumpkins songs I like to give anyone else a shot at the title... but thats just me...

Off the top...
Mayonaise
Disarm
Suffer
Tonight, Tonight
1979
Galapogos
Zero
To Forgive
Bullet With Butterfly Wings
Bodies
Where Boys Fear to Tread
Thirty-Three
The Everlasting Gaze
I of the Mourning
Stand Inside Your Love
Try Try Try
Wound
This Time
Eye
Once In Awhile
Set the Ray to Jerry
Perfect
Tear
Tale of Dusty and Pistol Pete
Doomsday Clock
7 Shades of Black
Neverlost
Stellar
Death From Above
Home
Daydream....

Lemme stop 'fore I list the whole damn discog
Enigmatism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 05:28 PM   #29
chains5000
From Out Of Nowhere
 
chains5000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bilbao
Posts: 8,661
chains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Pearl Jam or The Smashing Pumpkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeorDeath
LOL at people saying Pearl Jam, a lock for the rock and roll HOF, sucks.

A lot of people don't like them because they refused to make 'Ten' over and over and over. They carefully and thoughtfully developed their sound and always created extraordinarily well-crafted records. Some of their musical tangents are admittedly a bit odd and sometimes seem a bit esoteric or out of place, but that's the price you pay sometimes when you are trying to make music that is occasionally a direct hit to the gut and at other times subtle and nuanced.

As much as the ISH community worships bands like Radiohead, I'd think they would appreciate that a little more than has been demonstrated in this thread. The fact is that Pearl Jam remains one of the most important and influential bands of the last 20 years.

As far as Smashing Pumpkins is concerned, Billy Corgan has an amazing talent to fuse different musical genres and styles together into a sound that is quite exhilarating, but the fact remains that his egomania and dictatorship over the band's musical direction has prevented them from producing a consistenly solid record arguably since Siamese Dream. Mellon Collie has its moments, for sure, but is also a complete mess in parts. And their latest record, though it will certainly appeal to a given taste, is by and large a disaster.

Both groups have created brilliant work, but as far as the questions of who the better band is and who has grown more musically, creatively, and artistically? Pearl Jam, and its really not close.
PJ >>>> the pumpkins (just my opinion)
BTW, Last Kiss is a cover.
chains5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 10:56 PM   #30
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 14,987
i seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Pearl Jam or The Smashing Pumpkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rab
In all honesty, I have listened to a lot of Dream Theatre, and I just wasn't that impressed. Not my cup of tea. Not saying that they aren't a talented or innovative band, but I don't connect with them at all.

Music is soley based on opinion. There is no way to actually prove one band is better than the next. Music is something that a person has to connect with. It has to move you. Just because someone agrees with an opinon doesn't mean they're right or wrong. You can argue that bands are more talented than others, but talent does not always = good music.

This is why I still think Pearl Jam is better. Though they took risks, and changed their style multiple times, I was still able to connect with it. Just because something isn't mainstream or forced down your throat by a radio station doesn't mean it's not good music. I think there are a good majority of people who are close-minded to a lot of good music just because it's not the most popular. I still listen to all of PJ's albums on a frequent basis. The quality of good music + the longevity of the band itself = better than SP IMO.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with indie music. Some of the better music I have heard over the last 7-8 years has come from the indie bands. Today's mainstream music is so redundant and generic it's disgusting. The indie scene is a breathe of fresh air to me.

Word. That's what I was saying before. Everything is just an opinion unless it's really obvious like Iron Maiden vs. Oasis.

As far as indie rock goes, the music is tired in my opinion. Boring and doesn't bring much to the table. Just my opinion.

What Dream Theatre songs have you heard. I can't grasp how someone could not like Pull Me Under, Metropolis Pt.I, Glass Prison, etc. I did say earlier though that they are very hit and miss though.
i seen hippos is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:52 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy