Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 07-14-2006, 01:43 PM   #1
LakerFan1086
Serious playground baller

Default Smush

I was looking at smush's stats last year and comparing them to other point guards around the league and i gotta tell you the comparisons were not that bad. This guy avaraged 10th in FG% out of all point guards in league, 12th in steals in the NBA (1.71), not to mention 4th in the post season (2.14). In the second half of the season he had more points, better FG%, better 3pt Fg% than Jason Kidd and Luke Ridnour. He did'nt do that poorly in his first year with the Los Angeles Lakers.
Also, a lot of people were getting on him for his play in the post season but to be honest with you he did not play the bad until the last 3 games. The first four games smush avaraged about the same numbers as he did for the regular season. Aside from his three point shot he was playing pretty good ball. He had shot perfect from the FT line throughout the series, his steals were up (Nash knows about that one), rebounds were up, and you can't blame him for not being able to guard the MVP of the NBA. Aside from the last three games and the struggles from behind the arc, I really have no complaints about smush.
I say that as his second year begins hes only going to get better, he's going to be more consistent and prob average about 2 more points per game putting him at a solid 13 or 14 points a game. I also think that the addition of Vlad it will help ease the pressure of having him as the 3 option behind Kobe and Lamar.

Anyone else feel the same way about Smush? What do you guys think?
LakerFan1086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 02:01 PM   #2
OliverThizz
I airball my layups

I totally agree. Last year was a pretty good sign of things to look forward to. I have been hearing a lot of Smush bashing and a lot of talk about replacement but I think he is solid and he will be even better this year.
OliverThizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 02:30 PM   #3
LakerzFan4Life
Decent playground baller

Yeeahh
LakerzFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 02:52 PM   #4
Lakers_Kobe_Fan
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverThizz
I totally agree. Last year was a pretty good sign of things to look forward to. I have been hearing a lot of Smush bashing and a lot of talk about replacement but I think he is solid and he will be even better this year.

I Agree.....it was hist first season...we know Phil bring the best out of everyone...so imagine how good he can be after 1 full year of experience.
Lakers_Kobe_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 04:17 PM   #5
ZeN
RichardRiderLives

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverThizz

If phil and staff can help ol' smooshy progress and surpass last year.. not only will they have a nice player in their hands.. but also a cheap one
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 05:12 PM   #6
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

I like smush but i dont think he can handle the point alone like last year (i dont count sasha cuz he was a nonfactor)...he would go well as spliting time with a verteran point guard...maybe even off the bench as 6th man if we had a veteran pg...he wouldnt have to worry about facilitating comming off the bench and would only look for scoring which he is best at...he played exceptional last year but its not like hes the next nash or kidd or even tony parker..
ihatetimthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 07:23 PM   #7
praneel
Stay Strong Droth

Default smush is gangsta

watch out for smush, he is gonna be one hell of a player soon. I think this coming year he is gonna break out. He will never be an all star, but he will be a good starter. In jacksons offense he is perfect, big guard, can shoot. The only thing this kid has to do is become a better defender. he has quick hands but gambles too much and then cant keep his defender in front of him. but he is a young kid and has a huge upside. take care of business smuch!
praneel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 12:56 AM   #8
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

My take is he has to make a huge improvement in defense this season. Yes, he did well with steals, but often at the expense of being out of control or throwing his team members out of defensive position when he missed the steal.

Hopefully they are working with him on his footing and positioning defensively. To me, that is where he has to improve most.
SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 03:28 AM   #9
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

I'm glad we are all realizing Smush's talents.

As of right now he is still starting apparently.

I think, good. give him another chance. he's very athletic and has a very high shooting percentage as a PG.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 03:29 AM   #10
kobedaman24
its ours nxt year LA09

Default no gambling

Quote:
Originally Posted by praneel
watch out for smush, he is gonna be one hell of a player soon. I think this coming year he is gonna break out. He will never be an all star, but he will be a good starter. In jacksons offense he is perfect, big guard, can shoot. The only thing this kid has to do is become a better defender. he has quick hands but gambles too much and then cant keep his defender in front of him. but he is a young kid and has a huge upside. take care of business smuch!

smush parker does not gamble the ball on defense. he just reacts slow on defense. hes D is as good as anyone elses in the nba. hes a good young PG. cut him some slack he already has a lot of pressure coming out of the D-league then going straight to the NBA and becoming the lakers starting PG in 3 weeks.
kobedaman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 03:30 AM   #11
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobedaman24
smush parker does not gamble the ball on defense. he just reacts slow on defense. hes D is as good as anyone elses in the nba. hes a good young PG. cut him some slack he already has a lot of pressure coming out of the D-league then going straight to the NBA and becoming the lakers starting PG in 3 weeks.

Not to mention trying to gaurd Nash in the playoffs.
Old 07-15-2006, 03:36 AM   #12
kobedaman24
its ours nxt year LA09

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
Not to mention trying to gaurd Nash in the playoffs.

yup good point
kobedaman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 05:44 AM   #13
wally_world
M0derator

Smush is great... would love to see him in Suns... but not likely to happen as Lakers love him and all the confrontations and stuff...
wally_world is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 12:47 PM   #14
traditionone
High school junior varsity star

Smush needs to use his athleticism more. He is quick, he needs to play like it.

He needs to be more consistent with his perimeter shot.

He will get better. I would love him coming off the bench because he can play both guard spots. If he has to start, then he starts. We have depth behind him this year, so that will help.
traditionone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 01:52 AM   #15
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally_world
Smush is great... would love to see him in Suns... but not likely to happen as Lakers love him and all the confrontations and stuff...

He was a sun at one point but yall didnt give him a chance
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: