Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-04-2007, 11:27 PM   #1
IceMan2
Local High School Star

IceMan2 has an OK reputation so far
Default Which Poker Hand wins?

I really need the answer to this one...

The 5 cards on the bottom:

4- Spade
5- Diamond
7-Hearts
8-Clubs
2-hearts

1st hand:

6-hearts
8-spade

2nd hand

3-diamonds
6-clubs

So Straight with a higher kicker? Or a long straight (Does that exist?)
IceMan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 11:28 PM   #2
Erathia
Local High School Star

Erathia is popular on this boardErathia is popular on this boardErathia is popular on this boardErathia is popular on this board
Default Re: Which Poker Hand wins?

Im guessing you guys are playing Texas Hold'em. But either way, its a split pot (TIE). Both have a straight.
Erathia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 11:29 PM   #3
YAWN
NBA All-star

YAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

chop pot.

both have an 8 high straight.
YAWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 11:32 PM   #4
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Carbine has decent reputationCarbine has decent reputation

Yup, it's a chop. The best five card hand wins the pot...and in this case, the best five card hand either player has is an 8 high straight - meaning they tie and split the money that's in the pot.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 11:33 PM   #5
ZHAKIDD532
#hellobrooklyn

ZHAKIDD532 is considered somewhat coolZHAKIDD532 is considered somewhat coolZHAKIDD532 is considered somewhat cool

yea 6th/7th card dont count at all
ZHAKIDD532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 11:33 PM   #6
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Carbine has decent reputationCarbine has decent reputation

Speaking of poker, I've had extremly bad luck with the river card these past few weeks. I've been 3 outted and 1 outted a few times and it's just a sick feeling. So sick.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 11:36 PM   #7
Los Angeles
A Diamond In the Rough

Los Angeles has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
So Straight with a higher kicker? Or a long straight (Does that exist?)

There is a higher straight, there is no such thing as a higher kicker when you have a straight.

4, 5, 7, 8, A

Your hand:
3, 6

My Hand:
6, 9

I win because I have the higher straight, in your original question...it's a split pot because you both have the 6 (middle card) of the straight, and the highest end card is the 8 which is the community card.
Los Angeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 11:40 PM   #8
IceMan2
Local High School Star

IceMan2 has an OK reputation so far

thanks!
IceMan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 11:46 PM   #9
One of Shemps Kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceMan2
thanks!

I'm guess you thought you were screwed because of a lower kicker

Texas Holdem' is always just 5 cards. Kicker has to be involved in your best 5 card hand for it to count in any way.
Old 08-05-2007, 12:21 AM   #10
RidonKs
NBA Legend

RidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Just played poker with some friends who I'd never played with before, and it turned out that most of them (4 out of the 5) were really noob-ish. I think there was a pair and and ace on the board, and me and one of the noobs both had the same pair. So we both had 2 pair with the ace kicker. He had the higher kicker in his hand though, although I knew that didn't matter.

I obviously said split, and began dividing up a pretty damn big pot. They all looked at me oddly and said he had the bigger kicker, so the pot was his. I went over trying to explain to them the concept of a 5-card poker hand so many times, but they just wouldn't listen. I was actually getting pissed off explaining it to them, because it was a pretty big pot, and havign been in this situation before, and not knowing what to do then (that was when I first started playing), I knew I was right. Ended up knocking over my beer onto buddy's (almost) new poker table. He was pretty pissed off, and I just gave up, making sure to grab a bunch of chips as the guy who I 'split' with raked in the entire pile.

Just came back to me how pissed off I was. Funny because we play for relatively low stakes poker, and I'd have certainly given any of the guys I was playing with all the money that I bought in with if they needed it on just any regular day. But because it's poker, I don't care if it's 1cent/2cents stakes, I'm going to try to get as many chips as I possible can. Just the competitive nature I suppose.
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 12:26 AM   #11
Hawker
Banned

Hawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidonKs
Just played poker with some friends who I'd never played with before, and it turned out that most of them (4 out of the 5) were really noob-ish. I think there was a pair and and ace on the board, and me and one of the noobs both had the same pair. So we both had 2 pair with the ace kicker. He had the higher kicker in his hand though, although I knew that didn't matter.

I obviously said split, and began dividing up a pretty damn big pot. They all looked at me oddly and said he had the bigger kicker, so the pot was his. I went over trying to explain to them the concept of a 5-card poker hand so many times, but they just wouldn't listen. I was actually getting pissed off explaining it to them, because it was a pretty big pot, and havign been in this situation before, and not knowing what to do then (that was when I first started playing), I knew I was right. Ended up knocking over my beer onto buddy's (almost) new poker table. He was pretty pissed off, and I just gave up, making sure to grab a bunch of chips as the guy who I 'split' with raked in the entire pile.

Just came back to me how pissed off I was. Funny because we play for relatively low stakes poker, and I'd have certainly given any of the guys I was playing with all the money that I bought in with if they needed it on just any regular day. But because it's poker, I don't care if it's 1cent/2cents stakes, I'm going to try to get as many chips as I possible can. Just the competitive nature I suppose.

maybe you shouldnt drink beer and play poker at the same time...For me and my friends, we burned out on poker. We played almost every weekend sophomore year then it just got boring. We would end up talking to much and not concentrate on the game. There would always be a movie on in the background and the lights were too bright. Too many goddamn distractions to play with.
Hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 12:27 AM   #12
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

i seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidonKs

I'd walk out right away if people didn't know what they were doing. Especially if they start getting pissed off at me. I'd probably dump the beer on the table, chuck the table, piss on the table, light the house that the table is in on fire, piss on the ashes, find the crisped chips and walk home with all of them.
i seen hippos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 12:30 AM   #13
brwnman

brwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputation

just remember, it's the top 5 cards that win... and since straight is a combination of five cards, there is no kicker in play...
brwnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 12:34 AM   #14
RidonKs
NBA Legend

RidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by i seen hippos
I'd walk out right away if people didn't know what they were doing. Especially if they start getting pissed off at me. I'd probably dump the beer on the table, chuck the table, piss on the table, light the house that the table is in on fire, piss on the ashes, find the crisped chips and walk home with all of them.
Well it's not like they were strangers. They were friends, I just hadn't played with them before. And I suppose I was getting more pissed at them then they were at me. They were still talking a lot though.

Not all of us are insane, lunatic, pryo's.
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 12:49 AM   #15
wTFaMonkey
RP 4 lyfe

wTFaMonkey is considered somewhat coolwTFaMonkey is considered somewhat coolwTFaMonkey is considered somewhat cool

its a draw

i wouldnt even go into a flow with that ****ty ass hand anyway lol
wTFaMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: