Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Orlando Magic Forum

Orlando Magic Forum Orlando Magic forum - Orlando Magic message board

Old 07-14-2006, 03:07 PM   #16
bigdog13
High School JV MVP

bigdog13 has not been impressing people
Default Interesting Question

Can a player accept a long term deal lower than the qualifying offer he is eligible for. It is hard to plop down $6,810,000 for Darko. But if you don't he becomes a free agent and could sign anywhere. He is probably not offered over the mid-level exception and in theory Orlando could do the same; they however lose his Bird Rights I assume. In addition, if they don't make the QO does Darko feel snubbed and not want to sign with the Magic.
bigdog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 03:21 PM   #17
saKf
Roy = my new fave.

saKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected poster

Well, this topic was an interesting read.
saKf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 03:44 PM   #18
bagelred
Welcome Home, LBJ

bagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by saKf

I'm glad you enjoyed it.
bagelred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 03:48 PM   #19
bigdog13
High School JV MVP

bigdog13 has not been impressing people

so safk

do you give Darko his $6.8million qualifying offer or do you let him go?
bigdog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 03:51 PM   #20
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

geeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation here

I'd give Darko the max right now and I'm not joking. 3 year Max offer, if that's what it takes to get him on my team (if I had cap room, of course). that way I get bird rights; if he turns out to be incredible I retain him, if he is a bust, then in 2 years I have a huge expiring contract.

But I'd bet my balls that he'll be a well above average center, and his unique skill set will be a tremendous asset to any team.

I mean, I'd rather give him something like 3 yrs, 30 mil, rather than a full all out max offer, but if that's what it takes...
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 03:53 PM   #21
SsKSpurs21
National High School Star

SsKSpurs21 has decent reputation
Default ,

i wouldnt say a max contract but iam sure many teams will offer him a little above the MLE because a decent big man is hard to find...plus he has alot of potential. if he truly believes in his talents that he can be a good player, and then he should sign a one year deal like sjax, bust his ass off and then seek the rewards the following year.
SsKSpurs21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 03:55 PM   #22
bagelred
Welcome Home, LBJ

bagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeWiz15
I'd give Darko the max right now and I'm not joking.

Is this Isiah Thomas?
Old 07-14-2006, 03:55 PM   #23
GothamKnight
High school junior varsity star

GothamKnight has an OK reputation so far

magic should offer 7-8/year for 5 years
GothamKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 03:56 PM   #24
ALBballer
Religion? LOL? WTF?

ALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation here

Come on if Dalembert or Curry can get a 60 million, then Darko should as well. Hell, Chris Wilcox might get a 40 million dollar deal, and Darko at least should be a nice center. Shotblocker, passes, and has a jumpshot, how many center's can do that?
ALBballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 03:57 PM   #25
bagelred
Welcome Home, LBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBballer
Come on if Dalembert or Curry can get a 60 million, then Darko should as well. Hell, Chris Wilcox might get a 40 million dollar deal, and Darko at least should be a nice center. Shotblocker, passes, and has a jumpshot, how many center's can do that?

Wait, no....THIS must be Isiah....I recognize that smile anywhere....
Old 07-14-2006, 04:03 PM   #26
ALBballer
Religion? LOL? WTF?

ALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelred
Wait, no....THIS must be Isiah....I recognize that smile anywhere....

He's 7'1" and 21 years old. Think about that, take into account his potential, and wallah you got yourself a max player.
ALBballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 04:04 PM   #27
saKf
Roy = my new fave.

saKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelred
I'm glad you enjoyed it.
Maybe I should have made my post a little more clear:
Quote:

PLEASE NOTE: FOR THE HUMOR IMPAIRED, THIS POST HAS A SARCASTIC OVERTONE TO IT. PLEASE DO NOT TAKE THE ABOVE POST SERIOUSLY AS A TRUE MEASURE OF SAKF'S OPINION ON THIS TOPIC. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO LAUGHT AT ANYTIME.
That's better.
Old 07-14-2006, 04:06 PM   #28
bagelred
Welcome Home, LBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBballer
He's 7'1" and 21 years old. Think about that, take into account his potential, and wallah you got yourself a max player.

So you think they should give him $15 million a year based on potential, evn though in 3 years of ball he's done almost nothing....yikes....remind me not to let you handle my finances.....

I personally would give him the qualifying offer to lock him up for another year, even though you are overpaying. Then see how he performs for the year and make a decision in 2007 whether to match offers or do a sign and trade or something....
Old 07-14-2006, 04:07 PM   #29
saKf
Roy = my new fave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog13
so safk

do you give Darko his $6.8million qualifying offer or do you let him go?
Obviously, I'd extend him the qualifying offer.

Extending a player a qualifying offer doesn't put the team under any long-term financial obligation whatsoever. It just allows your team to match offers for that free agent.

Extend the qualifying offer and you've got options. Don't extend the qualifying offer and your player has a clear message that you're not interested in the future of his career.
Old 07-14-2006, 04:09 PM   #30
bagelred
Welcome Home, LBJ

Quote:
Maybe I should have made my post a little more clear:

That's better.

I guess my sarcastic comment on your sarcastic comment wasn't recognized by you.

Oh well....
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: