Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-07-2007, 01:53 AM   #16
trig
Decent college freshman

Default Re: ESPN compares Kobe to Pistol Pete...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BULLS
This is a joke. Comparing a legend like Kobe to a stiff like Maravich.

If there is one player Kobe should be compared to, it's Jordan(Not that he is remotely close to the man in terms of greatness).

Kobe is so much better than Maravich it isn't even funny. The greatest player of this generation being compared to some stiff who wouldn't average 15 ppg in today's game.

Maravich? stiff? have you seen him play?
trig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 02:17 AM   #17
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakerWarrior12
you didn't understand the post. An Idiot making millions a year?

The only idiot that should be mentioned, is Jerry Buss letting Mitch sign Kobe Bryant to a 127 million dollar contract. call Kobe an idiot all you want, Kobe is relaxing in his mansion and would not give a damn.

Its all about the money, its not about even winning championships now.

That didn't make any sense.

The point is you said he wasn't an idiot because he was making millions.
i seen hippos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 02:36 AM   #18
DieHardBullsFan
Da Bulls! Da Bears!

personaly I think Pistol Pete was overrated to me...

He was a great college player but just an average star in the pro's he was the first "white chocolate" with his flashy play...but he was never a great player...
DieHardBullsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 03:38 AM   #19
lovethetriangle
LAKER FAN FOR LIFE

I like the comparison. They leave a similar legacy.
lovethetriangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 03:40 AM   #20
OneWay
GREATEST OF ALL TIME!!

You kidding. Kobe's much better.
OneWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 04:42 AM   #21
lovethetriangle
LAKER FAN FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneWay
You kidding. Kobe's much better.

I'm not talking purely from a basketball standpoint, and neither is the article. Read the whole thing, quite interesting:

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/...n-History.html

If you haven't watched the Pistol play or his movie or read any of the many biographies about him, you should. Very, very intriguing guy.
lovethetriangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 05:03 AM   #22
trig
Decent college freshman

anybody know where i can dload the pistol pete movie? ive seen it b4 on tv but i want to watch it again
trig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 09:30 AM   #23
Psileas
NBA lottery pick

Maravich was great, but his flash overshadowed his efficiency. As a volume shooter/scorer, he was close to Kobe, and that's a compliment by itself, but the guy simply did not achieve enough to be compared. Not enough playoff success, regardless of roles (Kobe as a No2 was still at least as impactful as Maravich was as a No1), many less All-NBA, All-Star, etc, honors, too many turnovers, weak defense, not Kobe-like clutch ability. Only thing he had over Kobe was passing (but not to a big extent, because many of his passes resulted in turnovers) and long range shooting (Kobe has some insane "long range shooting" games, but not the consistancy to be an everynight threat).

Kobe>Maravich, easily.
Psileas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 10:29 AM   #24
Silent Mav
Local High School Star

I can see where the person was going with the comparison. There are some similarities. It's false that Pistol felt he had to do everything himself. He was told to. To sell tickets. The Hawk players didn't like the fact he was making more money so they purposely dropped passes and such. Egos would never let that team succeed even though there was talent. Look at the story kblaze posted about the short time he and Dr. J played together. He loved to just take a back seat and pass and just play the game. In New Orleans he was brought in as the face to a new franchise. In that respect he was like Kobe with the lack of talent around them.

To say he couldn't average 15 points today is a joke. He only had a 3 point line for one year of his career. With his offensive talent and the way the game is called on the perimeter, 20 ppg would be no problem. Think what you want about him but the man could score.

They both are great offensive talents. But Kobe has the more complete game. For that Kobe is the better all around player by far.
Silent Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 10:29 AM   #25
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

I always compared Kobe to Rick Barry. But same dif pretty much. Either way it's very valid.
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 10:51 AM   #26
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
as one of lightning that could not be caught in a bottle

This is really the point. Both guys are immense talent that seemed extremely difficult to assimilate into a bigger concept. Honestly, Pistol was probably more difficult to do it with.
They're not even really that similar as players. They're both scorers, but in much different ways. I saw Pistol mostly at the tail end with the Celtics.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 12:10 PM   #28
Poseidon
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeWiz15
I always compared Kobe to Rick Barry.

Crack is a powerful drug.
Poseidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 01:44 PM   #29
Uchiha_Hai
The Big Bang

The era Pete played in, Wilt played in, or whoever else just can't be compared to todays game of talent. Kobe Bryant is way better then Pistol, no question. I still think they should just abandoned all the weird stats of the past like Wilt's 100 pts game, Kobe's 81 is greatest.
Uchiha_Hai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 02:06 PM   #30
chopchop20
National High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgz
'Pistol' Pete was an explosive scorer, much like kobe, offensively theres not much maravich couldnt do that kobe does today
do you have the link to the article? maybe the writer was talking about the way they'd end their careers?
i do agree though, not the greatest player comparison, at least its none of that kobe vs. MJ junk we always hear

Perhaps, the biggest knock on Pete was that he played on a level higher than his teammates and that he couldn't raise them to HIS level of play. he was of accused of many of the things that Kobe has: ball hog, not a good team leader, glory hound, etc. Some of it is fair; some of it isn't.

It reminds of an interview done with Prince in the early 90's. The reporter was asking questions and insinuating how Prince had fallen off from his peak in the 80's. Prince replied, "Do you know hard it is to create something new (innovative) when you can play anything you hear? I can make music in my sleep." Prince is widely known as a genius and a meglomaniac who often played all of the instruments on his records even though he had a full band. And reportedly disbanded the Revoulution becuase of their inability to keep up with him on stage and follow his musical vision.

The comment refers to greatness on a couple of levels. Players like Pete and Kobe believe that they can do anything on the court, hit any shot. It's hard for players wired like that to be leaders. They are naturally geared towards doing it all. And often times I don't think that is selfishly motivated; it's just natural to players like that.

Last edited by chopchop20 : 08-07-2007 at 03:37 PM.
chopchop20 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: