Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-07-2007, 12:06 PM   #31
ForceOfNature
In It to Win It

ForceOfNature has a terrific reputationForceOfNature has a terrific reputationForceOfNature has a terrific reputationForceOfNature has a terrific reputationForceOfNature has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Top 10 most overrated NBA players of all-time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Chocolate
No particular order:

1)Harold Miner
2)Gheorge Muresan
3)Mark Jackson
4)Michael Olowokandi
5)Pervis Ellison
6)Reggie Miller
7)Jason Williams
8)Vlade Divac
9)Robert Horry
10)Ed O'Bannon

I think Jax is overrated. But your other choices seem good.
ForceOfNature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 12:17 PM   #32
'Toine=MVP
High School Varsity 12th Man

'Toine=MVP has no real reputation yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Chocolate
No particular order:

1)Harold Miner
2)Gheorge Muresan
3)Mark Jackson
4)Michael Olowokandi
5)Pervis Ellison
6)Reggie Miller
7)Jason Williams
8)Vlade Divac
9)Robert Horry
10)Ed O'Bannon

Great list! If I hear one more person say that Muresan, Ellison and O'Bannon are arguably top 100 players of all time, I am going to lose it. Look up the stats guys! These guys were obviously solid all stars, but not the MVPs most people think they were.
'Toine=MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 12:32 PM   #33
SsKSpurs21
National High School Star

SsKSpurs21 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieHardBullsFan
5. George Gervin

if George Gervin is overrated then so is T-Mac because their careers are VERY similar.

Quote:
Tim Duncan. Dominating every opponent and winning lots of titles aren't everything. Where's the flair?

flair (flār) Pronunciation Key
n.
A natural talent or aptitude; a knack:
Instinctive discernment; keenness:

SsKSpurs21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 12:40 PM   #34
xxxSuperStar
I Like Tacos

xxxSuperStar has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawsey6
You must not remember how well any of these guys played defense, especially when it mattered (okay, maybe LJ isn't a lockdown defender, but he still stepped up in big-game moments). I don't know about you, but I've seen too many great games between these players matchups to understand why you think they're overrated.

I've seen them play many many times (they were in my teenage heydey watching).

Miller, Johnson are not lockdown defenders by any stretch.

Mourning of course was a very good defender, but he struggled as a talented big man to crack 10 rpg and was always injured.

Ewing I think could have been more dominant. I mean his career ppg is only 21 and UNDER 10 rpg. I like him, but always felt he could have been more dominant. AND he had failed to show up many times for the big game.
xxxSuperStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 01:19 PM   #35
DieHardCeltics
I brick open layups

DieHardCeltics has an OK reputation so far

gary payton....guys real talent is complaining...god damn i hated how much he complained.
DieHardCeltics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 01:47 PM   #36
SRZ66
Local High School Star

SRZ66 has no real reputation yet.

nique
maravich
horry
mcgrady
SRZ66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 01:50 PM   #37
D-Fence
Great young streetballer

D-Fence has decent reputation

Charley Rosen made such a list sometime ago. I can't find it on the internet anymore. But I remember that Karl Malone, Charles Barkley, David Robinson, Patrick Ewing, Gary Payton, Bob McAdoo, Connie Hawkins and Pete Maravich were on the list. Maybe Chris Webber, too. He also made an underrated list.

To sum it up quite a bit, I think he said that:
Malone choked in the Finals.

Barkley was often out of shape and bad at defense.

Robinson was a "creme puff."

Ewing... I can't really remember what he said--probably something to do with postseason losses.

Payton wasn't as good defesnively as acclaimed I think is what he said plus no championships (this was before he won with Miami).

McAdoo didn't win in his prime and Rosen probably insulted his defense, too

Hawkins didn't have that great of an NBA career, especially defensively

Maravich was "a circus act" and an atrocious defensive player.

I agree largely with Rosen on McAdoo, Hawkins and Maravich.
D-Fence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 01:53 PM   #38
Mr_Basketball#1
McCants is Available!!

Mr_Basketball#1 has an incredible reputation hereMr_Basketball#1 has an incredible reputation hereMr_Basketball#1 has an incredible reputation hereMr_Basketball#1 has an incredible reputation hereMr_Basketball#1 has an incredible reputation hereMr_Basketball#1 has an incredible reputation hereMr_Basketball#1 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieHardBullsFan
alright here is my list

1. Robert Parrish
2. Pistol Pete
3. James Worthy
4. Tom Chambers
5. George Gervin
6. Ray Allen
7. Glenn Robinson
8. Dayrrl Dawkins
9. Chris Webber
10. Bruce Bowen

note: No particular order

Why is Ray Allen so overrated in your eyes??? I thought he was pretty underrated...
Mr_Basketball#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 02:31 PM   #39
Glove_20
The Expert

Glove_20 is considered somewhat coolGlove_20 is considered somewhat coolGlove_20 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
- Michael Jordan (OK he is probally the best player ever, but not by mile like so many say he is)
- Shaquille O'Neal
- Reggie Miller
- Gary Payton

I see why you think Jordan is overrated, though most don't say it's by a mile.

And I know Miller is overrated

But how are O'Neal and Payton overrated?
Glove_20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 02:33 PM   #40
Glove_20
The Expert

Glove_20 is considered somewhat coolGlove_20 is considered somewhat coolGlove_20 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Fence
Charley Rosen made such a list sometime ago. I can't find it on the internet anymore. But I remember that Karl Malone, Charles Barkley, David Robinson, Patrick Ewing, Gary Payton, Bob McAdoo, Connie Hawkins and Pete Maravich were on the list. Maybe Chris Webber, too. He also made an underrated list.

To sum it up quite a bit, I think he said that:
Malone choked in the Finals.

Barkley was often out of shape and bad at defense.

Robinson was a "creme puff."

Ewing... I can't really remember what he said--probably something to do with postseason losses.

Payton wasn't as good defesnively as acclaimed I think is what he said plus no championships (this was before he won with Miami).

McAdoo didn't win in his prime and Rosen probably insulted his defense, too

Hawkins didn't have that great of an NBA career, especially defensively

Maravich was "a circus act" and an atrocious defensive player.

I agree largely with Rosen on McAdoo, Hawkins and Maravich.

I have his comments on Gary Payton.

Anytime I need a laugh, and remind myself how stupid Charley Rosen is, I read those comments. They are hilarious, and I can't believe he still has a job. He lost all credibility with what he said about Payton

Charley Rosen = ZERO Credibility
Old 08-07-2007, 02:42 PM   #41
D-Fence
Great young streetballer

D-Fence has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glove_20
I have his comments on Gary Payton.
Do you have the entire article? Mind sharing what you have?

Quote:
Anytime I need a laugh, and remind myself how stupid Charley Rosen is, I read those comments. They are hilarious, and I can't believe he still has a job. He lost all credibility with what he said about Payton

Charley Rosen = ZERO Credibility

I don't agree with some of what I've read of his, but that doesn't really matter to me. He seems knowledgeable and will go back through all NBA history. How many other NBA journalists will diss Max Zaslofsky's game? I bet many wouldn't even know who that is.
D-Fence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 02:44 PM   #42
Glove_20
The Expert

Quote:
Charley Rosen's Stupid Article

The numbers are misleading, and so is the hype. The truth is that too many "good" players are wrongly celebrated as being all-time greats. To set the record straight, here's an alphabetical list of the most overrated NBA players ever.

Charles Barkley

The Round Mound of Rebound was never in acceptable game shape. But reporting to one Houston training camp 20 pounds overweight didn't prevent him from chastising his teammates for not being serious about challenging for the championship. Also, he only played defense when the spirit moved him — which was very seldom. These days, he complains about not having played with top-flight teammates — left unsaid, however, is the fact that Barkley's self-involved style of play did nothing to compliment whatever talents his teammates did have. Over the course of his career, Barkley's selfishness and total lack of discipline made him a chronic underachiever.

Walt Bellamy

He was lazy, sloppy, soft, selfish, defenseless, and useless in the clutch. The media called him "Big Bells," but his fellow players had another name for him — "Tinker Bell". His career averages of 20.1 points and 13.7 rebounds per game notwithstanding, what's Bellamy doing in the Hall of Fame?

Patrick Ewing

Patrick Ewing wasn't exactly his best when the game was on the line. (Otto Greule Jr. / Getty Images)

Had he played out of the spotlight in someplace like Orlando or Salt Lake City, Ewing would be remembered as a jump-shooting center who worked hard. Period. With the adulatory New York fans and media filtering their perceptions through the lens of their need to have heroes to celebrate, Ewing was celebrated as being far better than he really was. In truth, he couldn't handle, pass, move laterally, and do anything worthwhile when an important game was on the line. Moreover, his dim apprehension of what the game was all about precluded any thoughts of being unselfish. Except for the early days of the Mets and the Brooklyn Dodgers, New York sports fans rarely hitch their devotion to a loser like Ewing.

George Gervin

Double-G was a great scorer, smooth and virtually unstoppable. And that's all, folks. He couldn't (or didn't) pass, defend, or rebound. Gervin's idea of team basketball was when a teammate passed him the ball. Of necessity, his San Antonio teams played high-octane offense and flat-tire defense. That's why Gervin never played in a championship series.

Connie Hawkins

He could finish in spectacular ways, and he could make both plain and simple passes. Otherwise, he couldn't shoot, rebound, run, or play defense. How bad was the Hawk's defense? The first time he played in Madison Square Garden, the Suns tried to hide Hawkins' atrocious defense by matching him up with Dick Barnett. Too bad Barnett was so insulted by the ploy that he lit up Hawkins for 35 points. Also, nobody ever accused Hawkins of having a passion to play basketball: He once told the Suns that he couldn't play that night because he had a fever. A doctor was summoned, and Hawkins' temperature registered at 98.9. As a result, Hawkins felt justified to sit on the bench in his civvies. Hawkins was all flash and very little substance.

Elvin Hayes

He could do three things — rebound, block shots, and shoot a high percentage on turnaround jumpers from the left box. He couldn't pass, handle, play honest defense, or hit a clutch shot to get into heaven. In addition, he paid no attention to the basketball alphabet of Xs and Os. All he cared about was "me-ball-basket."

Karl Malone

I've been on this guy's case many times before, and for the same reasons. He found various ways to choke in the 1996 Conference finals and in the 1997 and 1998 Finals — missed free throws, damaging turnovers, ill-advised shots, losing gambles on defense, and so on. In addition, his passing skills and his defense were both overblown, and his assist-turnover ration was a horrendous 5:4. There are only two reasons why Malone is deemed to be an elite power-forward — John Stockton, and longevity.

Bob McAdoo

Here's all anyone needs to know about McAdoo's game: When he played against the Celtics, McAdoo was usually defended by Dave Cowens. Now Cowens was a legitimate tough guy who always played with intensity, power, and courage, and whose rough-house tactics on defense would often approach minor felonies. At the start of McAdoo's matchups with Cowens, B-Mac would assume his favorite position on the left box. Perhaps he'd even get a shot off. Perhaps he'd even get fouled. But Cowens would definitely assault him with elbows, knees, hips, forearms, and fists. By the middle of the first quarter, McAdoo would post-up five feet beyond the box. By the end of the fourth quarter, he'd be looking to receive the ball near the 3-point line. Anything to avoid contact. In other words, McAdoo was nothing more than a big, quick, soft, jump-shooter deluxe.

Pete Maravich

A one-man circus who wouldn't throw a pass unless it was behind the back or through the legs or in one ear and out the other. And his completion rate was barely above .500. His ball-hogging made him unpopular with his teammates, but scored big-time with the media. It's no accident that his teams were always pretenders and never contenders. It also says here that Maravich was the worst defender in NBA history.

Gary Payton

G.P. has always been a shoot-first point guard, favoring post-ups, open middles, and high-and-low screens to locate his shots. He was also a confrontational player, demanding perfection form his teammates and his coaches, but never from himself. Payton's reputation for playing outstanding defense gained him All-Defense honors for nine seasons, and a famous nickname, "The Glove." Even so, during the 1996 Finals, the Chicago Bulls set out to prove something that they already knew — that Payton's rep was mostly bogus. In lieu of playing solid contain defense, Payton routinely gambled for steals at every opportunity, and when he failed he put his teammates in jeopardy. The Bulls limited Payton's room to maneuver by posting Michael Jordan, who had little difficulty catching, shooting, driving, and generally having his way against G.P. Payton's game was, and is, less than meets the eye.

David Robinson

This guy was a cream puff. He could come from the weak-side to block shots, but he couldn't guard his own man. He could rebound, but rarely in a crowd. He could score, but only on foul-line jumpers, or only if a defender bought a head fake after he drove his left hand into the middle. He couldn't pass or handle. He couldn't stand his ground in the paint. And, according to one of his ex-coaches, he never worked on his game in the off-season simply because he really didn't like playing basketball. Had he not played alongside of Tim Duncan, The Admiral would have been lost at sea.
-----------

Old 08-07-2007, 02:50 PM   #43
Glove_20
The Expert

Honestly, for those who read that, you'd realize how dumb it is. Some places he might be right, but overall as an article, he doesn't know what he is talking about.

Read his comments on Gary Payton.

He says Payton is overrated because he couldn't stop Jordan.

1. This is Jordan we are talking about, the GOAT, the greatest perimeter scorer, how many could stop Jordan?

2. He held Michael Jordan to 39% shooting in the NBA Finals.

And the funniest part is, that he uses THAT to criticize Payton and call his whole defense overrated. When the truth was, he was guarding the GOAT, and he held him to 39%. But in Rosen's eyes, that defense he played on the GOAT proves how overrated his defense is.

Honestly, that is one of the stupidest things I have ever read.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:50 PM   #44
Burgz
Banned

Burgz is popular on this boardBurgz is popular on this boardBurgz is popular on this boardBurgz is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Toine=MVP
Tim Duncan. Dominating every opponent and winning lots of titles aren't everything. Where's the flair?

actually, winning titles IS what it's all about.

and also, not EVERY player has to be underrated or overrated, they can just be as good as advertised

i dont agree with Ray Allen being overrated though, shooting marvel if you ask me
Burgz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 02:59 PM   #45
Good Old Willy
DBDs

Good Old Willy is considered somewhat coolGood Old Willy is considered somewhat coolGood Old Willy is considered somewhat cool

How about...

"The current crop of NBA stars"

Many of today's players are great, but are not overhyped or self-promoted. My thumbs down vote goes to those players hyped as "superstars" such as...
Iverson
Marbury
McGrady
VC
LeBron
Carmelo
GArenas

...who aint done NOTHIN yet!
Good Old Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: