Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-08-2007, 09:54 AM   #61
Yossarian22
I airball my layups

Default Re: Top 10 most overrated NBA players of all-time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Toine=MVP
Tim Duncan. Dominating every opponent and winning lots of titles aren't everything. Where's the flair?

I'm believe this is sarcasm. At least, I thought it was sarcastic, as I laughed.

My vote for the Most Overrated Player goes to Kobe Bryant - let the firestorm commence.

I think one would agree that the majority of casual basketball fans (and I'm aware that that's an ambiguous definition) would automatically say that "Kobe is the #1 player in the NBA." I'd put most fans into this category - those that catch under 10 games per year, have trouble naming more than 4-5 players on their home teams and get the majority of their information from Sportscenter hightlights.

However, when consulting people that watch more basketball, there is more contention with who's the best player. For example, this board voted Tim Duncan the best player in the NBA last week, with a 25-15 vote margin over Kobe.

I could get into my personal thoughts on it (Kobe's an excellent scorer and not much else) and how I really don't feel he differentiates himself that much from other wing scorers, but -

I think the casual fan versus informed fan argument sums it up nicely. Unfortunately, casual fans vastly outnumber the informed fans, and as a result, Kobe Bryant gets more (undeserved) praise than anyone else.

Nowhere in this did I say that certain people on this board are less informed than others, nor am I trying to imply that Kobe fans are uninformed. However, from your own social experiences outside of this board, I think one would agree that casual fans tend to overhype Kobe because of Sportscenter etc, while people who watch basketball more would side with the more fundamental (and more successful) Tim Duncan.
Yossarian22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 10:20 AM   #62
Good Old Willy
DBDs

Default Re: Top 10 most overrated NBA players of all-time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BULLS
All the guys listed above are much better than th stars before the 80's. It's much harder to "do something" in today's era than it was back then.

If any one of those players played back in the 50's-70's, they'd easily average 45 ppg+.

But the point of the thread is who is over rated. Posters here at ISH are comparing the like of LeBron, Arenas and the rest to established winners like Karrem, Magic, Jordan, Chamberlain, Russell already, rather than hoping that by the end of their careers they will be as good.

I agree with your underlying assumption (average athletic superiority of current players exceeds that of average past players) but question your conclusion. The true greats are not overrated, they ARE the standards of greatness. The current crop (which has accomplished "nothing") are the overrated players. Obviously players such as Kobe, Duncun can already considered among the the great players of all time due in part to their accomplishments.

(BTW - The Kobe vs. "x" current players debates here at ISH are just so silly i refuse to participate in that nonsence. And with the massive criticisms players like Kobe receive, it is impossible to consider them over rated. Its a contradiction in terms.)
Good Old Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: