Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-07-2007, 10:30 PM   #31
Agent_Zero
Great college starter

Agent_Zero is considered somewhat coolAgent_Zero is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Can the Miami Heat still be top notch at this stage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2Gezee
Funny

Just watch this upcoming season.
Agent_Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 10:35 PM   #32
Xplicit
Great young streetballer

Xplicit has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent_Zero
Just watch this upcoming season.

Watch what? Miami sweep them like always?
Xplicit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 10:38 PM   #33
LakerWarrior12
Local High School Star

LakerWarrior12 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2Gezee
Shaq think about retirement. Seriously, unless he just runs into an injury that keeps him down or cripples him, why? He, without Wade, led the Heat to one of the better runs in the NBA last season after missing half the season. Year before that, he was drawing double and triple teams in the playoffs, more specifially the finals which he won. Year before that, if not for the knee from JO and Wade getting hurt he may have brought 2 rings to Miami, that's also the year he should've won MVP.

He's older, no doubt about it, and slowing down. But mostly his numbers are only dropping due to less minutes, stemming from some nagging injuries. But give the guy some better shooting and any team he plays on will win. Not to mention Wade can't be getting stopped by Hinrich, while others focus on Shaq.

Do you think Shaq should think about retirement if he continues to have injuries that allow him to play 40-50 games??

I am pretty sure the Diesel is almost done. could probably average 18 ppg and 9 rpg...

I am sure that Shaq has atleast 2-3 more seasons left.
LakerWarrior12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 10:42 PM   #34
Agent_Zero
Great college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplicit
Watch what? Miami sweep them like always?

Whatever. Wizards will make the second round this season. Guaranteed.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:48 PM   #35
LakerWarrior12
Local High School Star

Quote:
Whatever. Wizards will make the second round this season. Guaranteed.

Wait! Are you sure the Wizards will make the Secound Round? Because I predict Arenas will get injured like this.

Old 08-07-2007, 10:51 PM   #36
Agent_Zero
Great college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakerWarrior12
Wait! Are you sure the Wizards will make the Secound Round? Because I predict Arenas will get injured like this.

Hah. Did you notice Konex returned with Kobe in his avatar?

Kobe breaks down 1/4 way through of the season with a season ending knee surgery.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:54 PM   #37
Agent_Zero
Great college starter

this could also happen.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:56 PM   #38
LakerWarrior12
Local High School Star

Quote:
Hah. Did you notice Konex returned with Kobe in his avatar?

Kobe breaks down 1/4 way through of the season with a season ending
knee surgery

I don't care if he does. I'd rather see him be on the injured list 3/4 of the season. Lakers get Top 5 Draft Choice.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:56 PM   #39
BFRESH44
College star

BFRESH44 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Joe Bean
Since Shaq was traded to Miami, the Wizards have beaten the Heat ONCE in 16 tries (that's counting the 4 times they play each other in the regular season for the past 3 years and the time they swept them in the playoffs with Shaq missing two of those games)

If there's one thing the Heat don't have to worry about, its the Wizards!

And that one time that the Wizards did beat Miami, it was game in which Shaq, Wade, and Jason Williams did not play.

Anyways, interesting comments through-out this thread. Some imagine the team as presently contrcuted are done, and some believe ultimately only health will deter chance to be one of the East team who can contend...

The team roster/rotation as it presently stands:

Jason Williams/Smush Parker
Dwyane Wade/Daequan Cook
Dorell Wright/*
Udonis Haslem/Antoine Walker/Wayne Simien
Shaquille O'Neal/Alonzo Mournnig/Micheal Doleac

*indicates a holes

My little breakdown of the roster....

The Point guard posistion: Jason Williams when healthy has given the dimension of adeuquate play and production the Heat has needed. The only problem has been is his strugguled with some injuries with the knee tendonitis and such. He was recently interviewed by some Heat beatwriters at the Orlando Pro Summer League (made an appearance) and he stated that he feels as good as he has in the past few years and that the longer summer has been good for him.

Riles and Pfund while not being able to pull of a marquee point of choice(Mo Williams) due to not having the funds, so they went for the cheap/bargain backup in Smush Parker...Obviously as a fan I'm not enthused with the addition..But I mean he's depth, he's athletic and he can shoot the 3 at a decent clip. That's all Miami needs for a backup. If you don't have high expectations for him like I don't he'll should fine as a backup...I've endured through the likes of Anthony Carter and Damon Jones playing significant minutes for some Heat teams of the past, I beleive I can get through Smush Parker who 3 times the athlete then both players of those were...

Shooting Guard Posistion: Dwyane Wade..Nuff said...Came off some off-season surgeries but he's on schedule and only set to miss a portion of training camp. He'll be fine after about 10 games of work in..Then you'll se the regular ol' Dwyane Wade.

Daequan Cook was drafted, and as it stands right now is the primary backup to Wade at the 2. I liked the selection as he's athletic with some ranes..Remains to be seen if he can become a valuable asset and rotaion player this upcomming season.

Small Forward. The only natural Small forward on the roster right now that is signed is Dorell Wright. He's showed some big time flahses in the short stint of time and starts(http://youtube.com/watch?v=m7Sb3RP-bLA)..If can emerge as an impact player, that completly changes the complexion of entire team, because one thing this team can use is a young athletic high flying consistent contributer..As for as other plans, James Posey can be brought back which would be fine as most know what he can do. Good glue guy and defender, and was a large part of the championship run slightly over a year ago...There's been some talk about a Pietrus acquisisiton as well.. That would be interesting...

Power Forward: Udonis Haslem. Gets the job done, period. Epitome of a role player...Will put near doubles nearly everynight. His backup is paid like a 3rd option, put plays like a fringe rotational player....Antoine Walker had an atrocious year last year. One would have to assume he'd be better than last year because he was just terrible. Miami also has Wayne Simein whom is very simliar to Udonis Haslem, but with more natural offensive skillset...Could very find himself in rotation.

Center: Shaquille O'Neal. When he is healthy the Heat win games. When Wade went down, he steped up and kept the Heat in the playoff picture and put up NUMBERS too. But how many games he'll be suited up for is always in question..But if Shaq can give me 65-70 games I'll positive the Heat are a 50 win team. Alonzo Mourning still gets the job done in short spurts and is still at age 37 the best shotblocker in the league...Miami Center depth is fine.

As aforementioned in this thead, the Heat success is soley contiguent on health all around. BUt ofcourse most importantly Wade and Shaq.

I also still feel that Riley will pull some trade..Don't what but just have that hunch...

Still think overall the team can bounce back from a shameful title defense and have successful year and be a top 4 seed. can make noise...We'll see though.

Last edited by BFRESH44 : 08-07-2007 at 11:01 PM.
BFRESH44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 11:02 PM   #40
BFRESH44
College star

The only teams in the East who I'm 'scared' off really are the Bulls( whom gives Miami the worse matchup problem in the entire league) and the now newly made Celtics all star trio looks that ofcourse looks good on paper...Pistons always pose if healthy as a threat too but the Heat proved that they match up well with them in the past...

Other than that is there any team in the East that is THATSUPERIOR to a healthy Miami team...

Last edited by BFRESH44 : 08-07-2007 at 11:11 PM.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:06 PM   #41
Y2Gezee
Troll spotting pro

Y2Gezee is a pretty well-respected posterY2Gezee is a pretty well-respected posterY2Gezee is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakerWarrior12
Do you think Shaq should think about retirement if he continues to have injuries that allow him to play 40-50 games??

I am pretty sure the Diesel is almost done. could probably average 18 ppg and 9 rpg...

I am sure that Shaq has atleast 2-3 more seasons left.

I think Shaq will retire when Shaq said he'd retire. After this contract is up. As far as this past year's injury. I think he knew he wasn't well before the season and tried to gut it out. I think anybody else would've had the surgery in the offseason. Shaq had it on company time. I personally don't think he gives too much of a damn about the reg season, nor has he for years. But instead the playoffs. I think he was ready down the stretch and played damned good basketball. And in the playoffs played well, only the Heat were going away from him in 2nd halfs of games, which was usually when the Bulls threw extra coverage on him and nobody else made the Bulls pay. Shoulda just forced it to him.
Y2Gezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 11:13 PM   #42
MJ23
Banned

MJ23 has an OK reputation so far

dont be suprised if the heat dont make the playoffs next season or dont even win more than 40 games....

detroit
cleveland
chicago
washington
new jersey

boston
knicks

indiana
orlando

i dont think the heat will make it, the teams i bolded will beat the heat
MJ23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 11:33 PM   #43
BFRESH44
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ23
dont be suprised if the heat dont make the playoffs next season or dont even win more than 40 games....

detroit
cleveland
chicago
washington
new jersey

boston
knicks

indiana
orlando

i dont think the heat will make it, the teams i bolded will beat the heat

Funny...
Old 08-08-2007, 12:57 AM   #44
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year

Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFRESH44
My little breakdown of the roster....

The Point guard posistion: Jason Williams when healthy has given the dimension of adeuquate play and production the Heat has needed. The only problem has been is his strugguled with some injuries with the knee tendonitis and such. He was recently interviewed by some Heat beatwriters at the Orlando Pro Summer League (made an appearance) and he stated that he feels as good as he has in the past few years and that the longer summer has been good for him.

Just what did you think he'd say? "I'm really starting to feel my age. My knee twinges when it rains."

Quote:
Shooting Guard Posistion: Dwyane Wade..Nuff said...Came off some off-season surgeries but he's on schedule and only set to miss a portion of training camp. He'll be fine after about 10 games of work in..Then you'll se the regular ol' Dwyane Wade.

So he did have the surgeries. That's good I guess. But he really should have just gone and had it done last year. Now he'll most likely rush his recoup so he can make the start of the season. What he's trying to prove, I don't know. Nobody really gave the Heat much of a shot last year until Shaq took them on a run, but it's just not enough.

It won't be enough this year.

Quote:
Small Forward. The only natural Small forward on the roster right now that is signed is Dorell Wright. He's showed some big time flahses in the short stint of time and starts(http://youtube.com/watch?v=m7Sb3RP-bLA)..If can emerge as an impact player, that completly changes the complexion of entire team, because one thing this team can use is a young athletic high flying consistent contributer..As for as other plans, James Posey can be brought back which would be fine as most know what he can do. Good glue guy and defender, and was a large part of the championship run slightly over a year ago...There's been some talk about a Pietrus acquisisiton as well.. That would be interesting...

Who is Miami going to give up to get Pietrus? Their cap situation is almost as bad as my Cavaliers. Their players are almost as untradeable as my cavaliers, due to age. And I won't to hear the answer to the question I posed on page 1. Just how long do you expect us to wait for Dorrell to have this "break out year" you guys have been talking about for the last 2 season?

Quote:
Power Forward: Udonis Haslem. Gets the job done, period. Epitome of a role player...Will put near doubles nearly everynight. His backup is paid like a 3rd option, put plays like a fringe rotational player....Antoine Walker had an atrocious year last year. One would have to assume he'd be better than last year because he was just terrible. Miami also has Wayne Simein whom is very simliar to Udonis Haslem, but with more natural offensive skillset...Could very find himself in rotation.

Antoine has always been more of a three, IMO, but whatever. If he can return to all star form, which is highly unlikely, or Jason Williams can stay healthy and return to all star form (both unlikely) the Heat have a shot. Otherwise, I'm afraid they're out of options. Haslem is the prototypical Horace Grant guy. He can hit a jumper out to 20ft, and will play solid D and grab 10 boards, but he's never going to be an all star.

Quote:
Center: Shaquille O'Neal. When he is healthy the Heat win games. When Wade went down, he steped up and kept the Heat in the playoff picture and put up NUMBERS too. But how many games he'll be suited up for is always in question..But if Shaq can give me 65-70 games I'll positive the Heat are a 50 win team. Alonzo Mourning still gets the job done in short spurts and is still at age 37 the best shotblocker in the league...Miami Center depth is fine.

Shaq can't go 82 games and 28 playoff games. He just doesn't have it anymore. Not and play heavy minutes. The only chance you guys have is if he stays healthy until the end of the year, and you can use him for the playoffs. But good luck getting home court or any of that.

Mourning is even older than Shaq. And I'm not sure Mourning was EVER the best shot blocker in the league. Don't fool yourself. Right now I think Mutumbo's might be better, and he's older. Mourning was a beast in his time, but don't go calling him the best shot blocker in the league, when that has never been the case.

Quote:
As aforementioned in this thead, the Heat success is soley contiguent on health all around. BUt ofcourse most importantly Wade and Shaq.

I also still feel that Riley will pull some trade..Don't what but just have that hunch...

Still think overall the team can bounce back from a shameful title defense and have successful year and be a top 4 seed. can make noise...We'll see though.

What will they trade? Who wants all these guys? Riley was criticized when he took them in the first place two years ago. It panned out for one season, where Miami depended heavily on the refs in the Finals, and it self destructed last year. All of his guys now are old, or injury risks, and they're all overpaid. Who's going to trade for them, unless some team has an interest in Wright, or Simien?

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 01:33 AM   #45
White Chocolate
5-time NBA All-Star

White Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputation

Decent, yes. Top notch, no. Their two main concerns are health and the bench. Can guys like Alonzo Mourning, Gary Payton(if he returns), Michael Doleac, and Dorell Wright carry the bench.
White Chocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: