Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-08-2007, 11:14 AM   #16
OneWay
GREATEST OF ALL TIME!!

OneWay has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Lamar Odom vs Toni Kukoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki
Kukoc couldn't adequately guard any position -- he'd get beat off the dribble by 2/3's and posted up at will by 4/5's. There's no contest between them defensively imo. .

Same goes for Odom, really. He isn't bad like you think Kukoc was but I just can't swallow the notion that Odom is a good defender. I can't. Nothing more than average.
However, he's good against players with similar built.
OneWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 12:45 PM   #18
Wormser
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Wormser has an OK reputation so far

The point wasn't that Odom plays all NBA defense; it was that his D was much better than what Kukoc played. Kukoc was the better team player but it is not as if Odom is clueless out there regardless of what the Clipper cognocenti have to say. Yes, he dribbled the ball inbounds last December. However, you don't pass as well as he does as a forward, nor adapt to the triangle offense unless you possess some court awareness.

Am I calling him a B-Ball genius? No. But, again, he is far from the ODumb moniker that has been hung on him.

I also don't think Odom is all-world, the bee's knees, or anything like that. I just like him more than Kukoc.
Wormser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 12:56 PM   #19
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

knickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormser
The point wasn't that Odom plays all NBA defense; it was that his D was much better than what Kukoc played. Kukoc was the better team player but it is not as if Odom is clueless out there regardless of what the Clipper cognocenti have to say. Yes, he dribbled the ball inbounds last December.

Am I calling him a B-Ball genius? No. But, again, he is far from the ODumb moniker that has been hung on him.

That part was hilarious.

The bigger topic should be who is more effective in the triangle offense??
knickscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 01:06 PM   #20
Optimus Prime
:\

Optimus Prime is considered somewhat coolOptimus Prime is considered somewhat cool

I have the clip from Inside The NBA where they made fun of Odom for that inbounds.

The look on Phil Jackson's face is hilarious.

"Whoops...that's not Vince!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickscity
That part was hilarious.

The bigger topic should be who is more effective in the triangle offense??
Optimus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 01:12 PM   #21
Wormser
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Wormser has an OK reputation so far

Yeah, I laughed my a** off when I saw that play. He had the flu or something that night (or at least that is what they were saying). Still, that is a great blooper.
Wormser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 01:25 PM   #22
dejordan
Mars Blackmon Lives!

dejordan has an OK reputation so far

out of curiosity, did we actually see toni's best years? the first time i saw him was in the 92 olympics, and i don't know how old he was then, but he was very highly thought of. his defense and understanding of the triangle improved as the years went by (according to jordan and pippen's accounts of him), but i don't think his offense changed much. anybody with a history of watching european ball know if he was actually peaked pre-nba like sabonis did?
dejordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 01:29 PM   #23
Optimus Prime
:\

Optimus Prime is considered somewhat coolOptimus Prime is considered somewhat cool

I saw Toni playing on the Bucks back in 2005 when I went to a Magic game while I was in Orlando...

Does that count?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejordan
out of curiosity, did we actually see toni's best years? the first time i saw him was in the 92 olympics, and i don't know how old he was then, but he was very highly thought of. his defense and understanding of the triangle improved as the years went by (according to jordan and pippen's accounts of him), but i don't think his offense changed much. anybody with a history of watching european ball know if he was actually peaked pre-nba like sabonis did?
Optimus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 03:08 PM   #24
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year

Da KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputation

Amazing how Toni Kukoc came into the league at 24 or 25 yet people act like he well past his prime.

Face it folks, the guy was nothing special. An adequate sixth man and little else.
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 03:11 PM   #25
dejordan
Mars Blackmon Lives!

dejordan has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da KO King
Amazing how Toni Kukoc came into the league at 24 or 25 yet people act like he well past his prime.

Face it folks, the guy was nothing special. An adequate sixth man and little else.
i think it was just me who asked whether he had hit his prime before he came to the league. if he was 24yrs / old, then i guess we saw the best of him.
dejordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 03:14 PM   #26
Soundwave
College superstar

Soundwave is a pretty well-respected posterSoundwave is a pretty well-respected posterSoundwave is a pretty well-respected posterSoundwave is a pretty well-respected poster

Bulls would've won .... well even more with Odom in place of Kukoc (if that's even possible). Odom would've been on the All-Star team with Chicago.

Odom is a far better defender and all-around player than Kukoc.

The Bulls supporting cast wasn't that great folks, it was basically an ABA squad outside of the main components.
Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 03:17 PM   #27
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year

Da KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejordan
i think it was just me who asked whether he had hit his prime before he came to the league. if he was 24yrs / old, then i guess we saw the best of him.
I wasn't speaking about just you though. Nearly every time I get into a conversation about Kukoc it is implied the NBA missed majority of his prime.
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 03:23 PM   #28
BA_God
Decent playground baller

BA_God has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneWay
sort of like Manu today but better IMO. Odom, while more talented just doesn't have that factor and Toni's edge in playmaking, intelligence and clutch ability is too much to overlook. Then add achivements to the equation and it's a no brainer but let's compare players here, not their achivements.

No offense to Toni Kukoc, Manu has surpassed Toni at every level he played, Euroleague, International competition, and NBA.
Toni had great BQ, So does Manu.

Real difference between the two is mental toughness and defense.
in the NBA, Toni actually were not mentally tough and had weak defense.
but, Manu is one of the mentally toughest players in this decade.
BA_God is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: