Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-09-2007, 12:59 AM   #1
Penny37
Local High School Star

Penny37 has decent reputationPenny37 has decent reputation
Default Question about a Car Accident

A very close friend of mine was driving 120 down a highway.
She lost control of her vehicle (fell asleep) and went into the opposite lane.
3 people in the other car were killed and a fourth is paralyzed from the waist down.

Lucky the friend is fine because she was driving an Escallade.

But, what happens to her?
She'll be charged with whatever, but how likely is it that she'll see jail time and whatnot?
Penny37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 01:09 AM   #2
Phar
Banned

Phar is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPhar is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPhar is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPhar is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPhar is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPhar is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPhar is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPhar is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Question about a Car Accident

Doesn't look good man.

She can be charged with vehicular manslaughter and reckless driving. So it's very likely she'll be in deep waters.
Phar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 01:13 AM   #3
White Chocolate
5-time NBA All-Star

White Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputation

-If you get into an accident at 120 MPH, you're going away whether you're drunk or not.

-Three dead and the other is a paraplegic. Once again, not looking good for your friend.

Let's analyze:

We have reckless driving, DWI or DUI pending a test, vehicular homicide(any DA will go for the homicide considering the situation). Keep in mind they have new laws regarding reckless driving. Yeah, she's going to jail.
White Chocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 01:15 AM   #4
Penny37
Local High School Star

Penny37 has decent reputationPenny37 has decent reputation

She wasn't under the influence.
It was at night.. Like 11 pm on the highway where the speed limit is 110.
kilometers per hour.. not miles..
I live in Canada.
Penny37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 01:16 AM   #5
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Jackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

She killed 3 people and severely injured another and you're not sure if she'll see jail time? How would you feel if it were your family or friends that got killed?
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 01:18 AM   #6
aahhsin
Banned

aahhsin has an OK reputation so far

she will be charged iwth involuntary man.

this is beyond mere negligence, its reckless
aahhsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 01:19 AM   #7
White Chocolate
5-time NBA All-Star

White Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny37
I live in Canada.

That changes everything. 110 KM is 50 MPH I believe? She was doing about the limit, no drugs or alcohol(I assume no medication). She may get reckless driving, but I doubt the vehicular homicide. She would have to be speeding excessively for that.

Also, you said you live in Canada. I don't know the laws there, but in the U.S., we have new laws regarding reckless driving. The very worst I see is probation, and I think even that is a long shot. If your friend has no history, I don't see why there would be major charges.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:20 AM   #8
proof
Banned

proof has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
I live in Canada.

you shouldve said that originally. 110 speed limit in mph is crazy. So, how much is 120 in mph for us Americans?
proof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 01:22 AM   #9
proof
Banned

proof has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Chocolate
That changes everything. 110 KM is 50 MPH I believe? She was doing about the limit, no drugs or alcohol(I assume no medication). She may get reckless driving, but I doubt the vehicular homicide. She would have to be speeding excessively for that.

Also, you said you live in Canada. I don't know the laws there, but in the U.S., we have new laws regarding reckless driving. The very worst I see is probation, and I think even that is a long shot. If your friend has no history, I don't see why there would be major charges.

yea, but she was going the wrong way on the highway.

I think its serious.
proof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 01:22 AM   #10
Cavs Fan
Kids at the park dunk on me

Cavs Fan has no real reputation yet.

Why is it always that it's the idiot that survives?

In the US she would probably get away with a slap on the wrist from the legal system unless she had been drinking or or it could be proven that she was driving recklessly. In most cases no jail time. However if Canada is like the US, you can bet she's gonna get sued bigtime, her insurance company is gonna get sued bigtime, and if the Caddy was her parents, then they are going to get sued bigtime too.
Cavs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 01:23 AM   #11
Phar
Banned

Phar is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPhar is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPhar is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPhar is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPhar is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPhar is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPhar is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPhar is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

120 Kph= 75 Mph
Phar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 01:26 AM   #12
White Chocolate
5-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phar
120 Kph= 75 Mph

Isn't that like 15-20 MPH over the limit? Excessive speeding= big trouble.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:28 AM   #13
Showtime
Hardwood Hero

Showtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavs Fan
Why is it always that it's the idiot that survives?
Tell me about it. About a year ago, a whole family was killed when a drunk driver hit them head on. The drunk wasn't seriously injured, but he managed to kill a family of 4.
Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 01:31 AM   #14
White Chocolate
5-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime
Tell me about it. About a year ago, a whole family was killed when a drunk driver hit them head on. The drunk wasn't seriously injured, but he managed to kill a family of 4.

That was in Long Island, NY I believe. A 7 year old girl was beheaded at the scene. The guy's mom publically defended him saying how it was an accident and he shouldn't do any time. I think his BAL was like .26.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:32 AM   #15
Hawker
Banned

Hawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
A very close friend of mine was driving 120 down a highway.
She lost control of her vehicle (fell asleep) and went into the opposite lane.
3 people in the other car were killed and a fourth is paralyzed from the waist down.

Lucky the friend is fine because she was driving an Escallade.

But, what happens to her?
She'll be charged with whatever, but how likely is it that she'll see jail time and whatnot?

More like unlucky...sorry man but your friend is the one that deserved to die in that wreck.
Not trying to be an ******* but seriously, she shouldve gotten a taxi or not driven at all.

This question should be directed towards a lawyer not ISH.
Hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: