Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-09-2007, 01:24 PM   #1
Chuck Thou NBA
That's Turr'ble

Chuck Thou NBA has decent reputationChuck Thou NBA has decent reputation
Default Can't teach height..

I have a few questions about height...

Does your height determine how tall your father's side of the family is? Or vice versa?

If you are a male, when do you stop growing? What about females?

Some studies have shown that sleeping right and having a healthy diet can help grow more. Strecthing is also a helpful tool. Don't forget about milk.

Is that a myth?

Jordan put sand in his shoes every night before he went to sleep, maybe if I try that.. will I grow? ( joking)
Chuck Thou NBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 01:40 PM   #2
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

Kebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Can't teach height..

The stuff about eating right and getting the right amount of sleep is probably true. You do all of your growing while you are asleep, so if you're getting very limited sleep then I'm sure that will have an effect on your height. Eating the right food and getting the right amount of food from each catorgory (fats, protein, fibre etc.) would definitly help you grow. I don't mean it will add 8 inches over night but it will help reach your potential height. Genetics also play a part in this, my parents are tall and their parents are tall and now I'm the tallest in the family. But I know guys who have rather tall parents but are short and guys who have rather small parents but are quite tall.

I'm not too sure on this but I believe females stop growing at around 16 whereas males stop growing around 18-19.
Kebab Stall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 01:43 PM   #3
Sagat
Tiger! Tiger!

Sagat has an OK reputation so far

Some taboo studies have seen documented cases where various cultures have been successful at stunting one's growth to an extent... however we have no control over accelerating or amplifying one's growth.

Drinking milk and stretching will not equate to a noticeable increase in your height.
Sagat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 01:46 PM   #4
Chuck Thou NBA
That's Turr'ble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebab Stall
The stuff about eating right and getting the right amount of sleep is probably true. You do all of your growing while you are asleep, so if you're getting very limited sleep then I'm sure that will have an effect on your height. Eating the right food and getting the right amount of food from each catorgory (fats, protein, fibre etc.) would definitly help you grow. I don't mean it will add 8 inches over night but it will help reach your potential height. Genetics also play a part in this, my parents are tall and their parents are tall and now I'm the tallest in the family. But I know guys who have rather tall parents but are short and guys who have rather small parents but are quite tall.

I'm not too sure on this but I believe females stop growing at around 16 whereas males stop growing around 18-19.

Cool. Thanks.

How tall are you by the way?

I just turned 18, I am 5'6''. My father is also 5'6''. My mother is 5'5''. But my pops side of the family, everyone is short, on the other hand, my mom's side is tall. My uncle who passed away 3 years ago because of alcohol, was about 7 foot 3. All my cousins are 6'1'' 6'3'' I don't want to be stuck at 5'6''. That would suck. Plus I like playing ball, I need some more height.

So that's why I am thinking about it. With a healthy diet, good night's sleep, alot of praying at night, alittle bit of luck, I can grow to be 6' feet.

Hopefully.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:49 PM   #5
Lebron23
Most Valuable Player

Lebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

http://www.google.com.ph/search?hl=t...=Hanapin&meta=

Some tips on how to become taller........................

I do not know if that thing works but i always see them in the commercials.

I also heard the stories that Lebron James is only 6 ft tall when he was 14 yrs.old and he just tip toes before he sleep to reach Michael Jordan's Height. Then, a few years later Lebron James is officially measured at 6'8 barefeet and 6'9 in his basketball sneakers.

The Average Height by the way is 5'10 ( 178 cms)

Last edited by Lebron23 : 08-09-2007 at 01:54 PM.
Lebron23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 01:54 PM   #6
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

Kebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I'm 16 and just hitting 6'4". My mum is 5'8" which is pretty tall for women, both her parents were above 5'8". My dad is 6'2" and his dad is 6'. So me being 6'4" isn't really a suprise. Also my brother is 6' now and my sister is 5'2" and she is only 11.

You're 18 so I doubt you're going to grow anymore now, maybe a small bit of growth but I doubt that is going to be anymore than half an inch, if that.

But hey, you could always go to the docs and get them to screw around with your Pituitary Gland so it releases a rediculous amount of growth hormones, you might be able to grow then.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:56 PM   #7
Phar
Banned

Phar is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPhar is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPhar is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPhar is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPhar is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPhar is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPhar is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPhar is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:

Crap!!

But as everyone else said, it's good to have a healthy diet. Don't smoke, don't drink (much), and eat right.

Don't fall for scams like this though. http://tobetaller.com/index.html

I don't think any of them work.
Phar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 01:59 PM   #8
Lebron23
Most Valuable Player

Lebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Here is my Height chart

My Dad is 6'1 while my mom is 5'6

11- 4'11
12- 5'1
13- 5'2
14- 5'7
15- 5'11
16- 6'0 1/4

17- 6'2
18- 6'3
19-20 - 6'3 3/4 - Mourning Height- 6'3 1/4 before i hit to bed, usually normal human beings shrink during the night time. I just made an experiment and it definitely confirms the fact.

I think the age where man close their growth plates is 25 yrs.old but most commonly it ended when you turn 21. I think that gene is one of the serious factor in predicting the future height of a person unless you have taller relatives on both sides.

14-16 yrs.old is the time that most adolescent especially teenagers have a growth gap years. This is the time that you eat well, sleep well and drink alot of milk.

Some NBA Height Story

Scottie Pippen was 6'1 when he enter college and ended up being 6'7

David Robinson is 6'7 when he enter College and he was measured at 7'0 in his NBA Rookie Year.

Dennis Rodman is 5'10 in his late teens and he grew tall became a legit 6'7

The Late Dennis Johnson is only 5'9 when he graduated from HS and he grow up to a legit 6'4.

Quote:
As a 5-9 guard at Dominguez High School, Johnson played only a minute or two each game. After graduation the coach at Harbor Junior College saw him playing street ball, noticed his tough defense, and asked him to enroll. Johnson traded in his warehouse job for the classroom. Two years later and seven inches taller, Johnson averaged 18.3 points and 12.0 rebounds and keyed Harbor to a state junior college title.

Hedo Turkoglu is only 6'7 in his NBA Pre Draft measurement and ended up sprouting to 6'10.

Some players from the PBA Nelbert Omolon is 5'7 at 17 yrs.old and ended up growing at 6'3.

Last edited by Lebron23 : 08-09-2007 at 02:09 PM.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:07 PM   #9
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebron23
Here is my Height chart

My Dad is 6'1 while my mom is 5'6

11- 4'11
12- 5'1
13- 5'2
14- 5'7
15- 5'11
16- 6'0 1/4

17- 6'2
18- 6'3
19-20 - 6'3 3/4 - Mourning Height- 6'3 1/4 before i hit to bed, usually normal human beings shrink during the night time. I just made an experiment and it definitely confirms the fact.

I think the age where man close their growth plates is 25 yrs.old but most commonly it ended when you turn 21. I think that gene is one of the serious factor in predicting the future height of a person unless you have taller relatives on both sides.

14-16 yrs.old is the time that most adolescent especially teenagers have a growth gap years. This is the time that you eat well, sleep well and drink alot of milk.
Actually your experiment showed that you shrink through the day (If you're 6'3" 3/4 in the moring and 6'3" 1/4 before you go to bed, then you have infact shrunk through the day not the night), which is the fact. You grow through the night and shrink during the day due to alot of standing up and the gravitational pull of the earth pulling you down.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:25 PM   #10
Chuck Thou NBA
That's Turr'ble

Quote:
I'm 16 and just hitting 6'4". My mum is 5'8" which is pretty tall for women, both her parents were above 5'8". My dad is 6'2" and his dad is 6'. So me being 6'4" isn't really a suprise. Also my brother is 6' now and my sister is 5'2" and she is only 11.

You're 18 so I doubt you're going to grow anymore now, maybe a small bit of growth but I doubt that is going to be anymore than half an inch, if that.

But hey, you could always go to the docs and get them to screw around with your Pituitary Gland so it releases a rediculous amount of growth hormones, you might be able to grow then.

Thanks Kebab! Thanks for bringing the my hopes down the drain.

But I am giving serious consideration about this Pituitary Gland. But how tall would I be after? I'd like to be at least 6'6'', maybe even 6'8'' but 7'5'' and higher isin't worth it. And how much are we talking about here?
Old 08-09-2007, 02:30 PM   #11
Lebron23
Most Valuable Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Thou NBA

But I am giving serious consideration about this Pituitary Gland. But how tall would I be after? I'd like to be at least 6'6'', maybe even 6'8'' but 7'5'' and higher isin't worth it. And how much are we talking about here?

I think the perfect height in basketball is 6'3 because most of the players in the NBA listed their height with shoes measurement.

If you will take growth hormones the possibility of you reaching 5'11- 6'1 is possible but it would cost you alot of money. Beside those GH Hormones are use to cure cancer and some other disease.

Last edited by Lebron23 : 08-09-2007 at 02:35 PM.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:33 PM   #12
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

Quote:

You're welcome!

I was only joking about the Pituitary Gland thing, I doubt they do that kind of thing, but there's no harm in actually doing abit of research over the world wide web and seeing if they do, do it. I doubt they do though, they probably have more concerns with cancer and illnesses of the like than your need to be taller.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:37 PM   #13
Dodonpa
Great young streetballer

Dodonpa has an OK reputation so far

Quote:

You're currently 5'6" and you want to grow into 6'6" ??

Sorry, not happening..
You'll be VERY lucky if you can somehow find the best doctor to bring your to 5'10"
Dodonpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 03:17 PM   #14
Chuck Thou NBA
That's Turr'ble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodonpa
You're currently 5'6" and you want to grow into 6'6" ??

Sorry, not happening..
You'll be VERY lucky if you can somehow find the best doctor to bring your to 5'10"

I think I am going to grow at least a few more inches, but I really want to be 6 feet. I always wanted to be that tall my whole life, being 5'6'' would be a dissapointment. But Ill be satisfied with 5'10 or 5'11''. But like I said before, miracles could happen. I wish I had my uncle's genes, the dude was huge. 7'3'', he had to duck to get into another room. They could'nt even give him proper sneakers. He's buried somewhere in Brazil (where I am from). RIP.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:25 PM   #15
White Chocolate
5-time NBA All-Star

White Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputation

I'm a hair over 6'1". My dad is 6'3 1/2" and my mom is 5'4". I just turned 19 and I'm still growing, though I don't know what I'll be at the end. As far as those players having huge growth spurts, wouldn't they have knee problems from growing so much, so fast?
White Chocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: