Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-09-2007, 06:30 PM   #16
Hawker
Banned

Hawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Can't teach height..

have you already gone through puberty? Did you go through puberty late?

Dont worry about your height, man. There are a lot of small people in asia so dont be like, "omg im not tall i wont be successful."
Hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 09:29 PM   #17
Chuck Thou NBA
That's Turr'ble

Chuck Thou NBA has decent reputationChuck Thou NBA has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker
have you already gone through puberty? Did you go through puberty late?

Dont worry about your height, man. There are a lot of small people in asia so dont be like, "omg im not tall i wont be successful."

Thanks for the advice man. I went through puberty early. I know I should not worry about my height, it's just frustrating some times playing basketball against guys twice as tall and whatnot. I don't know we'll see what happens.
Chuck Thou NBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 10:09 PM   #18
Hawker
Banned

Hawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Thou NBA
Thanks for the advice man. I went through puberty early. I know I should not worry about my height, it's just frustrating some times playing basketball against guys twice as tall and whatnot. I don't know we'll see what happens.
that sux man...I am about 5'9" and I went through puberty junior year of HS so I can sort of feel your pain but i dont think there is much you can do now to grow without pills.
Hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 10:36 PM   #19
boceltballa
I hit open layups

boceltballa has an OK reputation so far

Don't worry about height man...I am only 5' 5" and 5' 6" on a good day. I have done research myself and I think all those growth programs are all just a hoax. I was told I was going to be 5'10" to 6' 3" when I was young. I ended up down here at 5' 5" because I had a growth disorder. I've dealt with it. I can't say it hasn't been hard. Luckily it doesn't make me the shortest in the family.

To try and help your growth hope...stretching is the only option that I know of. I think if you consistently do it you can add 2-4 inches. Although I will stress that I am not sure if it works but have read about it and the arguments behind stretching are well explained and backed up.

Ex: A pitcher's throwing arm is always longer than the other.

I have an e-book that talks all about it. If I can find it, I'll e-mail it to you if you give me your e-mail address. I've thought about doing the exercises myself - Hey! It's worth a shot. I do not know if there are any health risks to stretching.

About two years ago a doctor told me I would be 5' 10". I still have my hopes up hoping I get the growth spurt I never got. All you have to do is stay positive because even if you do stay at that height, at least you are healthy.
boceltballa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 10:42 PM   #20
RecSpecs110
Prokhorov = Badass

RecSpecs110 is considered somewhat coolRecSpecs110 is considered somewhat cool

I feel your pain. I'm 5' 7" and I'm 16. This past year, I think I grew 1 inch, which is a snail's pace. During my spurt, (around 13/14) I grew almost 5 inches in a year. But I was always one of the shorties.

It's kind of hard when your mom is 5' 1" and your dad is 5 '8". But I have to take some of the blame. I admit that I haven't been eating as much as I used to. My appetite is just not there. Sure I can eat comfort foods like crazy, but whenever it comes to nutrition, I feel like I'm eating tasteless food.
RecSpecs110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 10:54 PM   #21
lurch67
Caution: Adult Content

lurch67 has decent reputation

Genetics are goofy. My dad is 5'10". My mom is 5'5". My two older sisters are both around 5'6". They are typical of the family heritage on both sides of the family. I got some mutated gene or something. I'm 6'7". And I look way too much like my dad for the milkman theory.
lurch67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 12:43 AM   #22
JeanPaulGaultier
I airball my layups

JeanPaulGaultier has an OK reputation so far

Yo my man I am 6'3" right now at 21 probably won't get much bigger (even though an inch or two would be nice). Anyway you're either born with it or not. Fact is in HS you will see the most spurt but since then I may have gained an inch if I'm lucky. Don't let height determine your future (unless you're a manlet <5'8"). For me I'm bigger than my entire living family. And my mum had 7 brothers and sisters. But they did feed me well. Lots of fruits prob helped they are good for the mind, body, and soul, plus they taste good... So Good luck with whatever ur trying to do.
JeanPaulGaultier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 12:45 AM   #23
Chuck Thou NBA
That's Turr'ble

Quote:
Originally Posted by boceltballa
Don't worry about height man...I am only 5' 5" and 5' 6" on a good day. I have done research myself and I think all those growth programs are all just a hoax. I was told I was going to be 5'10" to 6' 3" when I was young. I ended up down here at 5' 5" because I had a growth disorder. I've dealt with it. I can't say it hasn't been hard. Luckily it doesn't make me the shortest in the family.

To try and help your growth hope...stretching is the only option that I know of. I think if you consistently do it you can add 2-4 inches. Although I will stress that I am not sure if it works but have read about it and the arguments behind stretching are well explained and backed up.

Ex: A pitcher's throwing arm is always longer than the other.

I have an e-book that talks all about it. If I can find it, I'll e-mail it to you if you give me your e-mail address. I've thought about doing the exercises myself - Hey! It's worth a shot. I do not know if there are any health risks to stretching.

About two years ago a doctor told me I would be 5' 10". I still have my hopes up hoping I get the growth spurt I never got. All you have to do is stay positive because even if you do stay at that height, at least you are healthy.

Great read. I've thought about stretching too, I hear it really does help. How old are you? that could determine how many years left you have to grow. Everyone is diffrent though.
If you do find that book, my email is ethanmoreira@yahoo.com
Old 08-10-2007, 12:49 AM   #24
Chuck Thou NBA
That's Turr'ble

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurch67
Genetics are goofy. My dad is 5'10". My mom is 5'5". My two older sisters are both around 5'6". They are typical of the family heritage on both sides of the family. I got some mutated gene or something. I'm 6'7". And I look way too much like my dad for the milkman theory.

Damn dude! Do you play ball?

Yeah and I am not going to be upset over this height thing, at least I am not a midget, I am actually 5'7'' on a good day. Now if I was 4'9'' , I'd be REALLY pissed off right about now. No offense to people under 5' feet here.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:56 AM   #25
RecSpecs110
Prokhorov = Badass

RecSpecs110 is considered somewhat coolRecSpecs110 is considered somewhat cool

I find it hard to imagine an 18 year old at 4' 9", unless he was a certifiable midget.
RecSpecs110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 12:59 AM   #26
White Chocolate
5-time NBA All-Star

White Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecSpecs110
I find it hard to imagine an 18 year old at 4' 9", unless he was a certifiable midget.

When I think of that, names like Gary Coleman, Mini-Me, and Billy Barty come to mind.
White Chocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: