Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Detroit Pistons Forum

Detroit Pistons Forum Detroit Pistons message board - pistons fan forum

Old 07-14-2006, 09:21 PM   #1
CVMerlot954
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Default With Ben gone, trading Darko was a mistake.

With Ben gone, trading Darko was a mistake. They should have waited til the summer, to see if they would be able to retain Ben. That's what I would have done. But then again, I'm not sure if that's possible. I can't imagine why it wouldn't be possible to trade away a player for space cap, and not hit the luxury tax. But they went ahead and traded Darko to create salary cap space to re-sign Ben Wallace. And look what happened? He's bolted them.

Darko has played 30 games for Orlando. He's averaged about 21 minutes, 7.6 points, 4.1 rebs, 2.1 BLOCKS!!!, and 1.1 dimes, according to his SI.com stats.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/bas.../players/3705/

If he becomes the starting center next year for Orlando, his numbers will jump by one-third. 30.5 minutes, 11.4 points, 6.15 rebs, 3.15 blocks, and 1.65 assist. But with Dwight being the rising-star, I'm not sure how much touches Darko would get post. Probably a couple of open shots from the corner. I really don't know his range from the corner though.

Near the end of the season, he was a monster on the defensive end. Blocking, rebounding, boxing out,.. Everyone knows that Darko has better than average offensive skills for a NBA center. But while playing for Detriot he never got the minutes, because no one believed in him.

If Detriot still had Darko, they wouldn't be so bad off with Ben leaving. Darko will never be as great defensively as Ben Wallace, but his offensive skills will offset that in Flips open-style, pick&roll offense. Big Ben brings energy, heart, toughness, and a bad-a** attitude to the team.

Just imagine, having 'Sheed, Prince, Chauncey, & Rip at the 3-point line. Darko in the post. Either Rip or Prince will slash to the basket, if Darko gets double-teamed, and pass it off. Flip is an offensive genius. I recall a few moments in games this past season, that McDyess made the players on the floor look better, because he has better offensive skills than Ben. Everyone was a threat, offensively. But with Ben in the game, it usually seemed like 4 on 5 on the offense. Defense was great, 5-on-5. But offense, opposing teams never had to ruin about Ben. Even he complained about how he wants to be more involved with the offense.

Mon frere, you shoot terribly from the free-throw line. I don't want you embarassing yourself with clunkers around the rim, or airballs. Because of your offensive liabilities, you gotta get your points from airballs, and missed shots. You're the best at cleaning up after your team mates. That's what they love about you. You're blue-collar to the heart, and you sweat blood.

But when you start demanding the ball more on offensive, that doesn't make so much sense. But if Sheed demands the ball in the post, that's a different story. Sheed can put the ball on the floor and penetrate, or fade away jumper. We know what Sheed can do. You're either gonna throw a brick or turnover.

If Ben surprises me next year, by making those moves, I'm never gonna write on here ever again. Ooh, who am I kidding. This is my first post. *lol* I'll be sure to make myself look stupid whenever I can.t

I'm sorry for the Pistons. And I have a feeling that if Darko continues to progress, the Pistons are gonna feel worse for having traded him.

He just turned 21 last month. Orlando has a great frontcourt for years to come. Them Double D Boys gonna get the Magic to rise. Dwight & Darko. Y'all let me know what's up. :-D Peace.

Last edited by CVMerlot954 : 07-14-2006 at 09:49 PM.
CVMerlot954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 01:29 AM   #2
embersyc
Lurker

Sorry I didn't read your post, but Darko asked to be traded.

Joe Dumars always said if any player doesn't want to be in Detroit that he will comply.
embersyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 01:51 AM   #3
Snoopy
I brick open layups

they still got maxiell who could end up alright, mcdyess who could handle some more minutes, prince who could move to PF and play sheed at C, they'll be alright, if people write them off now they're gonna be spewing when detroit still play like they own the east this season
Snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 11:25 AM   #4
CVMerlot954

Quote:
Originally Posted by embersyc
Sorry I didn't read your post, but Darko asked to be traded.

Joe Dumars always said if any player doesn't want to be in Detroit that he will comply.

Ooh great, thanks for making me look stupid. *lol* Just kidding. I didn't know he asked to be traded. That sucks.... :-/ I wish he would have stayed. He would have been great for Detriot in the future. Even now in fact. I remember a joke between Chauncey and 'Sheed, when Darko started getting minutes in Orlando and being productive. CB said, "I'd rather play with Darko." Then Sheed said, I'd like to play with Chris Paul. Those weren't the exact words, but it went something like that. It was really funny. They both agreed and knew that Darko had talent, but playing in Detriot on a deep power rotation, he couldn't get minutes. Now, with Ben out, maybe Darko regrets leaving the Motor City. He would have been their center of the future. This totally sucks!!!
Old 07-15-2006, 11:36 AM   #5
CVMerlot954

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy
they still got maxiell who could end up alright, mcdyess who could handle some more minutes, prince who could move to PF and play sheed at C, they'll be alright, if people write them off now they're gonna be spewing when detroit still play like they own the east this season

Sorry man, I can't see Prince playing PF. He's a decent rebounder. He's got the length. But he needs to hit the weight room... I'm a bit depressed to have discoverd that Darko requested the trade. Sheed and him would have complimented and complemented each other. Not too many teams have a center and power forward that are double threats.

Well, it might happen in Orlando this season, and maybe even Toronto if Adnrea B can handle playing center in the NBA. Maybe even in NY, if Curry loses some weight to play center, and Channing play the PF. Channing is too good to be coming off the bench. But that's another post, in another team.

GOOD MORNING DETRIOT ROCK CITY!! WOOT! WOOT!
Old 07-15-2006, 01:05 PM   #6
oldschool32

yea but we got Nazr and he brings on offesive game that Ben didnt have, and he also brings size into the mix. okay, hes not great as Ben in defense but he can get the job done.
oldschool32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 06:59 PM   #7
alwiap

you raise good points.

do you think if darko was still here and started this season he would produce better numbers than what nazr will? meh i hate those questions since it doesnt really matter :o

nazr will calm the haters by producing "SUFFICIENT" numbers for the pistons. imo.

also i cant really blame darko for wanting a trade, after all he was the "human victory cigar" ;o
alwiap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 11:27 AM   #8
Czar
I airball my layups

I didn't see the benefits of keeping Darko.
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 12:21 PM   #9
wally_world
M0derator

so... how far will Detroit go next season? i guess eliminated 1st round of playoffs... too many new teams stepping up...
wally_world is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 12:53 AM   #10
Czar
I airball my layups

Only teams I see stepping up is New York and maybe Orlando.
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 04:10 PM   #11
kobedaman24
its ours nxt year LA09

Hell yeah it was. Darko's starting in Orlando right now. And I like the Pistons, but their decision making has killed them. How could they have not realized his contract was ending this season and trade Darko.

ok fine forget Darko.

They traded Maurice Evans away too. He was doing pretty well in the end of the season too. Now hes on the Lakers. He got traded to LA for their second round pick Chuck Samb, a 7'0, who weighs less than 200 lbs ( i read it on the nba.com draft profile gallery thing. i might be mistaken though.)
kobedaman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 10:39 PM   #12
PacerRaptor
B-Rush for ROY

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool32
yea but we got Nazr and he brings on offesive game that Ben didnt have, and he also brings size into the mix. okay, hes not great as Ben in defense but he can get the job done.
to be honest, i'd rather have Nazr over Ben. Dumars did a great job in picking up Nazr. Even though Nazr isnt as good as Ben on the defensive end, hes WAY better than Ben on the offensive side. Teams are exploiting Bens lack of offense, with the "hack a Ben". Even though they do that with shaq also, shaq can still score. Overall, Nazr was good for you guys, good pickup
PacerRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 12:01 AM   #13
CVMerlot954

I agree.... Nazr is a good pickup. Ben complained last year about teams playing 4-on-5 when the Pistons were on offense. He wanted to be more involved in the offense, but if you can't shot, what plays do you want ran for you? When he slashes to the hole for a alley-oop, he'd get fouled sometimes, and sent to the free-throw line to make shots. So, Nazr is gonna even things out. I'm not too worried about the Pistons next year. I think they'll be aight.
Old 07-23-2006, 12:03 AM   #14
zmuda

they're just fillin holes with nazr. they should have made a ben wall deal happen. but they will definately never miss darko noclue. he has no head for the game.
zmuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 04:46 PM   #15
CVMerlot954

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmuda
but they will definately never miss darko noclue. he has no head for the game.

Darko will have such a good season, that you'll eat those word. :) Maybe not a great season, but a season good enough. 13pt, 7-9 reb, 2-3 blocks. He'll be a better scorer/shooter than Ben Wallace. That's worth being a starting center on any team, with expectations of the Heat, Rockets, Kings, & possibly Clippers. I've never really watched Kaman played. So I don't know if he's better than Darko.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: